Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?

For pete's sake I get the feeling that whenever he comes in the 9th inning the other team has a chance to win. A freakin nailbiter with his pitching in a 6-3 ballgame....maybe it's time for Bard to take over that role. When Mariano Rivera comes in you can almost start backpedaling to the exits.....not Pap you gotta sit there and suffer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?

Just be thankful he got the save.  How often do we see blown saves between him AND MO in these Sox-yanks match ups?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?:
    [QUOTE]For pete's sake I get the feeling that whenever he comes in the 9th inning the other team has a chance to win. A freakin nailbiter with his pitching in a 6-3 ballgame....maybe it's time for Bard to take over that role. When Mariano Rivera comes in you can almost start backpedaling to the exits.....not Pap you gotta sit there and suffer.
    Posted by walk2run[/QUOTE]

Two weeks ago Sox fans didn't want Bard in the 8th inning role.  Now you want him to be the closer.  Paps is not playing solitaire out there.  The Yanks are a good team.  It is never going to be easy.  As soon as you realize that, you will be able to enjoy the process.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]For pete's sake I get the feeling that whenever he comes in the 9th inning the other team has a chance to win. A freakin nailbiter with his pitching in a 6-3 ballgame....maybe it's time for Bard to take over that role. When Mariano Rivera comes in you can almost start backpedaling to the exits.....not Pap you gotta sit there and suffer.

I hope you realize that as good as he is,Mariano has 3 blown saves so far this season,Bard has 2 blown saves and Papelbon has 1 blown save.
    Just something to think about.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Geez, the guy got the save. Are you really just looking for something to complain about?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning? :  I hope you realize that,as good as he is,Mariano has 3 blown saves so far this season,Bard has 2 blown saves and Papelbon has 1 blown save. Just something to think about.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    Armchair fans, perfection or gtfo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Papelbon gives up a run to the best part of the lineup of one of the best teams in baseball in their stadium.  Unforgivable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning? : Geez, the guy got the save. Are you really just looking for something to complain about?
    Posted by --The--Babe---[/QUOTE]

now you see? you and I totally agree with that Babe. I can't stand fans like that. I think that the OP doesn't realize that Paps had his hands full simply coming out of the bullpen to take the mound in a non-save situation against the new york freaking yankees in their stadium. 1-2-3 inning my aunt bertha. yeah, I was biting my nails alittle with the tying runs on board and A-Rod at bat. Paps was fortunate with A-rod last nite getting him to chase one outside. had he thrown it middle in and we got a tie game.

note to OP. Paps got to finish the game and preserve the W. Mo was sitting in his bullpen thank the lord above. be happy that the sox won....1-2-3???? oy veh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I love Papelbon, f-ck all y'all...200 saves faster than anyone but Eck...try a 1-2-3 innings some time in MLB. You think it's easy in the AL?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]I love Papelbon, f-ck all y'all...200 saves faster than anyone but Eck...try a 1-2-3 innings some time in MLB. You think it's easy in the AL?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

danny, can I assume that you are directing that to the OP????? you know there has to be atleast one in every crowd. we win a big game in the bronx and paps gets the job done and the next day we get a silly thread posted about why paps can't go 1-2-3........I almost spit a mouth full of coffee on my screen when I first read it.

I myself also love Paps. always have. I wanna see him dancing with the dropkick murphys atleast a couple of more times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In the end he got the job done and that is what matters you don't get any 'style' points he did his job and at the end they don't ask how just how many

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

IT WOULD BE NO FUN IF HE HAD A 1 2 3 IT IS BETTER  IF WE ALL HAD TOP SWEAT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Pap worries me everytime he enters the game at this point.  That's not a very comfortable feeling as a fan.  I can only imagine what his teammates and our management feel like. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning? : danny, can I assume that you are directing that to the OP????? you know there has to be atleast one in every crowd. we win a big game in the bronx and paps gets the job done and the next day we get a silly thread posted about why paps can't go 1-2-3........I almost spit a mouth full of coffee on my screen when I first read it. I myself also love Paps. always have. I wanna see him dancing with the dropkick murphys atleast a couple of more times.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Excellent response Hammah, I too wanna see some more dancing from Paps. Thanks for serving from a fellow Vet.

Syd

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I think the problem is that he got the "save". This means he's the closer. How will any of us feel if he's brought into a save situation with the Sox leading by 1 run?? I feel that he has given up runs in save situations too many times. I'm uncomfortable when he enters a game in a save situation.
    I may be wrong here, but to compare him to Eck is nonsense. Wasn't Eck called on to save many games when he inherited runners? Most of Paps saves have been when he enters the game with no one on base and simply has to save the game without giving up more runs than the number of runs by which the Sox are leading.
    A 3 run lead is a save situation for Paps. If he gives up 2 runs before retiring the side, he he still gets credit for a "save".Surprised

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I think the problem is that he got the "save". This means he's the closer. How will any of us feel if he's brought into a save situation with the Sox leading by 1 run?? I feel that he has given up runs in save situations too many times. I'm uncomfortable when he enters a game in a save situation. I may be wrong here, but to compare him to Eck is nonsense. Wasn't Eck called on to save many games when he inherited runners? Most of Paps saves have been when he enters the game with no one on base and simply has to save the game without giving up more runs than the number of runs by which the Sox are leading. A 3 run lead is a save situation for Paps. If he gives up 2 runs before retiring the side, he he still gets credit for a "save".
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]Eck was the original three out closer and like closers today, LaRussa's ideal deployment was a clean frame 3 out save. It was LaRussa and Eck that set the current model in motion. Both pitchers have not always been used exclusively in three out situations but the short closer appearance gained rominance with Eck's success doing it.  

As far as contemporaries go, Papelbon over the last three years has been asked to get more 4 plus out saves than any other closer that has pitched in that time frame.

In the prior two years and the last couple of appearances Paplebon has been less than totally dominant. But whenever his career ends it is likely to be a long time before we have the level of sustained excellence from the closer we have had since Papelbon took over the role from Keith Foulke in early 2006. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Hey, he got the save so I'm not going to complain, but what's up with the two off-speed breaking balls when the count was 0-2? They weren't splitters but looked more like really weird curve balls. I thought the 1st one was going to plunk ARod.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE] Hey, he got the save so I'm not going to complain, but what's up with the two off-speed breaking balls when the count was 0-2? They weren't splitters but looked more like really weird curve balls. I thought the 1st one was going to plunk ARod.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]When you have a hitter who can hit the ball as hard as A-Rod down 0-2 it isn't unusual to try and get him to get himself out by throwing him what he is looking for but way out of the zone. A-Rod is likely thinking slider-split in that count. That's the guessing game that goes on IMO. The other option is to go with another fastball but if you guess wrong and he squares it up it is a whole new ballgame. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

5katz, I appreciate your response and to a degree, I agree with you. An ERA of 4.50 for a closer is scary. I didn't research Eck's appearances, so I "assumed" he was brought in when the previous pitcher got himself in trouble. My bad for assuming. Then again, I'm assuming you're correct. Undecided

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Papelbon now has 200 saves in less time/games than any closer in history.  He relishes the role and is clearly good at it--plus a huge fan of Mariano Rivera.

If it was a one run game, Pap would have pitched differently. 

That said, that was one scary 9th inning.  The tying run in the form of ARod at the plate, and Pap rose to the occasion. 

I'm pretty sure that Pap's last save was Friday, and it was 1-2-3. 

He has 12 saves in 13 save opportunities this year.  Not too shabby.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning? : When you have a hitter who can hit the ball as hard as A-Rod down 0-2 it isn't unusual to try and get him to get himself out by throwing him what he is looking for but way out of the zone. A-Rod is likely thinking slider-split in that count. That's the guessing game that goes on IMO. The other option is to go with another fastball but if you guess wrong and he squares it up it is a whole new ballgame. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  The problem is you have to make the off speed pitch look something like a pitch to be considered.  The one that almost hit Arod never had a chance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Mariano "Pool Guy" Rivera has blown 3 games this year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Paps has only a fastball. Good hitters wait for that pitch, they don't chase his splitter.

He's a nail biter lately. And him working deliberately doesn't help.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]5katz, I appreciate your response and to a degree, I agree with you. An ERA of 4.50 for a closer is scary. I didn't research Eck's appearances, so I "assumed" he was brought in when the previous pitcher got himself in trouble. My bad for assuming. Then again, I'm assuming you're correct.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]The ERA isn't good but ERA with a closer can reflect a few bad appearances sandwich between a lot of good ones. As for Eck he had a set-up guy by the name of Rick Honeycutt (used to be a starter in LA) that played the Bard role. He had 50 or more appearances every year Eck and he were in Oakland.  As I say the modern bullpen was born in Oakland under LaRussa.

Pap has allowed 13 runs in 26 IP. With any short reliever the total IP are small so a few bad appearances can be magnified.

I was very encouraged by his SO/BB ratio and still think this is the key for Papelbon. When he doesn't walk anybody he can be very dominant. Right now his WHIP (which with relievers is often more indicative) isn't what a closer of his stature should have either, so there isn't a debate that he has had some tough outings in 2011.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Paps has only a fastball. Good hitters wait for that pitch, they don't chase his splitter. He's a nail biter lately. And him working deliberately doesn't help.
    Posted by Mt200[/QUOTE]When he is ahead on the count, it is darn near impossible to lay-off the splitter because the delivery and appearance coming out of the hand of the pitcher on a well thrown split is so similar to a fastball (same pitch, different finger grip) that hitters can't lay off most of the time.

But with runners on it is susceptible to the passed ball and when behind the hitter can be much more selective and wait the pitch out more often.

He also has a slider but as with the fastball, the pitch is set-up by count and the count is set up by the fastball.

Jim, you are right about the off speed stuff not being nearly close enough for A-Rod to offer at. It is the problem with trying to miss for much pitchers. When we think about how small that spot is that a pitcher is trying to throw to, it is rather amazing that they hit them as often as they do. But often in a situation when they are trying to miss outside the box, when they do, they have a tendency to miss by a lot.