Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?

In Response to Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?:
    [QUOTE]Papelbon now has 200 saves in less time/games than any closer in history.  He relishes the role and is clearly good at it--plus a huge fan of Mariano Rivera. If it was a one run game, Pap would have pitched differently.  That said, that was one scary 9th inning.  The tying run in the form of ARod at the plate, and Pap rose to the occasion.  I'm pretty sure that Pap's last save was Friday, and it was 1-2-3.  He has 12 saves in 13 save opportunities this year.  Not too shabby.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Tell us how he would have "pitched differently" in a one-run game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I tend to look at Papelbon as consistent, something you don't see from a lot of closers. More closers have either fallen due to injury, ineffectiveness from season to season, trades, etc. Really don't see what the problem is having him as the closer. Would you rather have Ken Ryan? or Heathcliff Walk the Bases Loaded Slocumb? how bout the "Bullpen By Commitee"....jesus, some of you knuckleheads are just that...dumb.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The count is the essense of pitching, approach, etc. The best have pinpoint control and can hit the edges early and often and get ahead. At that point, the pitcher can offer the hitter his pitch and location, in a place the hitter does not really care for. Reverse it, and the classic "dead red" can make a UIF'er look like Babe Ruth on one pitch, the pitch the hitter is just waiting for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Agree deadred that the count is the command and control panel. Pitch behind and you're asking for trouble. Pitch ahead -- but you better have an exploitive pitch or two and make them close enough.
    Katz mentions the difficulty of pitching to spots.  No doubt. But there is also pitching to zones.  One of them for the splitter is from the knee to the shoe top. On 0 and 2 or 1 and 2, this pitch  need not be pinpointed but just look good enough coming in before it dips.  Clemens had it. Nomo had it. So have other pitchers.  Papelbon does not have consistent command of it.  Sure, batters will chase really bad pitches on 0 and 2 and 1 and 2, but they are more likely to chase the teaser or to hit it weakly.  Another possibility on 0 and 2, if you want to mix speeds and alter the eye level, is to throw the change up deliberately in the dirt. ( With no one on, of course. ) Some guys will even chase that. 
    Power hitters and free swingers are looking to bash the FB.  On, say, 0 and 1, the FB up and off the plate in is most often pulled foul. No it's 0 and 2, and the pitcher has the whip.  But you have to be careful that it doesn't drift over the plate.  That's where real pitching comes in. On 0 and 2, a power pitcher need not even fool around with off-speed stuff.  Schilling is not the only pitcher to say that the FB up and away is the stake in the heart. A slugger who's just fouled off ( maybe a long way ) the up and in pitch is liable to heat up and away.  
    What a great game baseball is. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=7f761741a00a3b59f7a201b2e0504003&plckUserId=7f761741a00a3b59f7a201b2e0504003">
    First: 9/22/2005
    Last: 6/8/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3abd96ea95-0eff-4b71-a21a-f2411a0ac086&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:bd96ea95-0eff-4b71-a21a-f2411a0ac086Post:1f35d4fe-07af-4eff-8717-9bc103a7c5bc">Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning?:
    In Response to Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning? : danny, can I assume that you are directing that to the OP????? you know there has to be atleast one in every crowd. we win a big game in the bronx and paps gets the job done and the next day we get a silly thread posted about why paps can't go 1-2-3........I almost spit a mouth full of coffee on my screen when I first read it. I myself also love Paps. always have. I wanna see him dancing with the dropkick murphys atleast a couple of more times.
    Posted by Hammah29r2

Excellent response Hammah, I too wanna see some more dancing from Paps. Thanks for serving from a fellow Vet.

Syd

thanks Syd! Palm Bay eh? I lived in west (by gawd) melburnnnn back in 04-06. I was working at Harris Corp. I loved taking my son down to sabastian inlet to fish off the bridge back then. One thing I wish we had back up here in mass is a publix.........no way shaws will offer beer and wine man.......no way. one of my favorite places to hang out was bizarro's on the beach off of 192 and long doggers.....sometimes I really miss florida. and thanks back at you from a fellow vet. AIRBORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all the way!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

To Ex-Pitch and Katz: GREAT POSTS!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Pap Ever Pitch a 1-2-3 out Inning? : The ERA isn't good but ERA with a closer can reflect a few bad appearances sandwich between a lot of good ones. As for Eck he had a set-up guy by the name of Rick Honeycutt (used to be a starter in LA) that played the Bard role. He had 50 or more appearances every year Eck and he were in Oakland.  As I say the modern bullpen was born in Oakland under LaRussa. Pap has allowed 13 runs in 26 IP. With any short reliever the total IP are small so a few bad appearances can be magnified. I was very encouraged by his SO/BB ratio and still think this is the key for Papelbon. When he doesn't walk anybody he can be very dominant. Right now his WHIP (which with relievers is often more indicative) isn't what a closer of his stature should have either, so there isn't a debate that he has had some tough outings in 2011.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I first noticed the setup/closer combination with the 1987 Twins with Berenguer and Reardon.  Although the team finished with a very pedestrian 85 - 77 record, they had just enough in four pitchers - Blyleven, Viola, Berenguer, Reardon to eek out two postseason series victories with the assist of timely hitting and a very loud Metrodome.  At that time, I thought they had discovered the magic formula to shorten the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I can just hear everyone now if the sox had signed Rivera and he had three blown saves. " Why didnt we keep Paps instead of signing this over the hill releiver".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]I can just hear everyone now if the sox had signed Rivera and he had three blown saves. " Why didnt we keep Paps instead of signing this over the hill releiver".
    Posted by wallyac[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 'cause the Yankees have no knee-jerk, reactionary fans.

Sections
Shortcuts