Can Pedro Martinez get a job with the Sox like Tek?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Can Pedro Martinez get a job with the Sox like Tek?

Can Martinez be a pitching coach someday?  Why not with the Sox in near future?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Can Pedro Martinez get a job with the Sox like Tek?

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I'm sure he could, and maybe some day he'll consider it, but he certainly doesn't need the money, he's very active in the Dominican and I'm sure you remember what a big fan of Spring Training he was!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Not bloody likely because there's no evidence anecdotal or objective to suggest that he used performance enhancing drugs during his MLB career, was an egregious adulter and a player whose offensive productivity fell off a cliff after he was named Team Captain after signing the biggest contract of his career. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I was hoping for Pedro Martinez to be our pitching coach during the middle of the season.   I think he will bring a perfect balance of competence, experience and everything that used to make this team great.  Yeah he seems like he can be a non-serious full of life kinda guy but he was also the most verocious competitor every 5th day and was a serious as one could be when on the mound.   Not to mention this guy had HOF stuff, and I want the young guys and even the veterans picking his brain...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Sounds great. Maybe what this team needs is an all-2004 coaching staff.

Kevin Millar for bench coach?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Pedro left the Red Sox angry and complained about not being respected when he signed with the Mets.  Subsequent history showed he was near the end of the line because after one good season with the Mets he was never the same again.  He also chaffed as his being perceived as second fiddle to Curt Schilling during the 2004 season.  So that means I say no to this idea?  WRONG!!!

One thing I've learned over the years is that time can sooth a lot of trouble waters.  There is no doubt in my mind from what I've heard over the past few years is that Pedro was a Red Sox through and through and that video I just watched cinched it for me.  I think he would be a terrific pitching coach and not only for the ability he showed on the mound.  He was judged by the Dodgers as not big or strong enough to be a f ront line pitcher and he overcame that.  He was a big winner and a complete team player even though he acted as a Diva part of the time.  He would bring a loose persona to the team and, believe me, we could use a little of that Cowboy Up or Idiots very badly in the coming seasons.  That's my take on it anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I was hoping for Pedro Martinez to be our pitching coach during the middle of the season.   I think he will bring a perfect balance of competence, experience and everything that used to make this team great.  Yeah he seems like he can be a non-serious full of life kinda guy but he was also the most verocious competitor every 5th day and was a serious as one could be when on the mound.   Not to mention this guy had HOF stuff, and I want the young guys and even the veterans picking his brain...

Pedro in his prime was the best pitcher I've ever seen (no one is really a close second) and he was definitely all business on the mound. He continues to have a good relationship with the organization, so maybe some day something can work out.  He got married about 5 or 6 years ago and had a couple of kids from a previous relationship, so he may not want to be away from the Dominican for long periods of time at this point in his life. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

Whenever I read a suggestion that a well-known player become a manager or coach just because they had success on the field, I remember the greatest hitter in Sox history who couldn't transfer that success as a manager. What makes anyone think that Martinez would be a great pitching coach just because of his record? One of the most respected pitching coaches in recent times, Dave Duncan, was a catcher.

Now, if he wants to show capability by working with players in SP, or the minors, fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to modod's comment:

Whenever I read a suggestion that a well-known player become a manager or coach just because they had success on the field, I remember the greatest hitter in Sox history who couldn't transfer that success as a manager. What makes anyone think that Martinez would be a great pitching coach just because of his record? One of the most respected pitching coaches in recent times, Dave Duncan, was a catcher.

Now, if he wants to show capability by working with players in SP, or the minors, fine.

Good points.  If there was any correlation between playing ability and coaching ability, I'm sure the Yankees wouldn't have rejected Babe Ruth's efforts to be the Yankee manager so many times.  I think it would be great to have Pedro around Spring Training working with the kids, but unfortunately he can't help them grow freakishly long fingers which certainly helped Pedro's career.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Maybe working with our young dominican players/prospects down there where he lives.

Sections
Shortcuts