Can Rays afford to keep Price?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Can Rays afford to keep Price?

If his Arb goes over $13m, it seems like that's a lot of money compared to the Rays total payroll.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Can Rays afford to keep Price?

Rays a smart organization and very good chance he will be moved this off season. Dodgers are reportedly interested. Wish the RS could acquire, but doubt Rays would ever trade inside of division and possibly face him 5x a season + playoffs. But just maybe Rays are smart enough to see the RS have the young talent that the Rays would be interested in Owens/ Webster/ and a Swihart? + a couple of lesser prospects might be good enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Rays a smart organization and very good chance he will be moved this off season. Dodgers are reportedly interested. Wish the RS could acquire, but doubt Rays would ever trade inside of division and possibly face him 5x a season + playoffs. But just maybe Rays are smart enough to see the RS have the young talent that the Rays would be interested in Owens/ Webster/ and a Swihart? + a couple of lesser prospects might be good enough.

True.  If the Rays want to maximize the return for Price, they will trade within the division.  Sox will have to pay extra to get Price.  If Sox have confidence that we can extend Price before reaching FA, then Ben might be willing to part with young talents.  Rays have very solid pitching prospects depth.  They will likely want 2 or 3 position players and 1 solid pitching prospect.  I don't see Bogaerts getting moved in the trade but the Rays do have IF holes except 3B.  Longo might be moved to 1B in near future to reduce injury risk.  For that specific reason, Cecchini has to be included.  

My proposal for Price is

Cecchini, Bradley Jr., Betts, Vazquez, and Owens for Price and high upside low level prospect

If Sox can land Price, Bucholz or Dobront can be valuable trade asset to fill in some holes we have.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They can afford Price, but will trade him this winter to maximize the return value. They should get more than Shields netted them.

They will still have Moore, Hellickson, Cobb, Archer, Odorizzi, and Niemann.

They will have Myers and DeJesus all season long.

The Rays will "not fade away in the dogdays of summer"1

1 softy the clown

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Yes they can afford him. All teams are getting an influx of $30 million in new TV money.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

They can afford him, but they should trade him now. I believe he has major arm issues. He started last year poorly, went to the DL for a month. When he came back he pitched great, but then gradually got worse again. By the playoffs, he wasn't the same pitcher we faced in the middle of the season. He lost an average of 2 mph off his fastball compared to 2012. And about 3 mph by the end of the season.

Glad we are in his division so the Sox will not get him. Buyer beware.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to garyhow's comment:

True.  If the Rays want to maximize the return for Price, they will trade within the division.  Sox will have to pay extra to get Price.  If Sox have confidence that we can extend Price before reaching FA, then Ben might be willing to part with young talents.  Rays have very solid pitching prospects depth.  They will likely want 2 or 3 position players and 1 solid pitching prospect.  I don't see Bogaerts getting moved in the trade but the Rays do have IF holes except 3B.  Longo might be moved to 1B in near future to reduce injury risk.  For that specific reason, Cecchini has to be included.  

My proposal for Price is

Cecchini, Bradley Jr., Betts, Vazquez, and Owens for Price and high upside low level prospect

If Sox can land Price, Bucholz or Dobront can be valuable trade asset to fill in some holes we have.  

[/QUOTE]

Inter-division trades are increasingly rare these days due to the unbalanced schedule and it's no secret that Rays GM Andrew Friedman pretty much won't even consider them.  Throw in the fact that Ben Cherington is not a guy who likes to trade top prospects & I'd say that the odds of Price coming to Boston in a trade from Tampa Bay are less than 1%.  

The Sox Front Office isn't in "desperate" mode where they would load up the farm system of a division rival, especially when it could come back to haunt them for the next decade. You also have to consider the fact that he's one player, and he could get injured.  Lastly, you have to extend him at something that will be well north of 150 million.  I don't see them doing that, either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Price is NOT coming to Boston, nor would I even give the haul that it would cost to get him...Next.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If his Arb goes over $13m, it seems like that's a lot of money compared to the Rays total payroll.

[/QUOTE]

I think that Price is under contract for one year plus an option. The mgmt of Rays are not dumb and will make the best deal possible. They still scare me more than evil empire.

Sections
Shortcuts