Can Rays Catch the Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Can Rays Catch the Yankees

Another Yankee loss to the A's tonight.  Meanwhile Tampa wins.  Only 7 back and the two teams will be meeting again.  Ut oh.  What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Can Rays Catch the Yankees

NO

8 down in the loss column with 34 games remaining.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

NO. It would be hilarious if they did, but no.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Extremely unlikely.  But the Yankees do have some potential problems with their pitching.  Sabathia has been struggling in August and Colon is not pitching as well.  Burnett has been brutal.  Nova has been a big contributor for them and Hughes has been better his last few starts. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

sure they can

then again this is BB

less than a week from now

we might be asking the same about the rays catching sox

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Extremely unlikely, but when you got a pitching staff like this, doing so well in the "dog days" of summer, one never knows...

Last 28 days: ERA/WHIP

Hellickson  2.03/1.200
    D. Price       2.55/1.104
    Niemann     2.61/1.000
    J. Shields    3.13/1.011
    W. Davis     3.14/1.000

Farnsworth  0.429/0.96
    Peralta          0.743/1.69

The Yanks over the last 28 days...

Burnett   1.909/8.77
    Colon      1.407/5.33
    Sabathia 1.414/5.28  (Before tonight)
    Nova        1.121/3.55
    Garcia     1.364/2.45
    Hughes   0.800/1.80 (3 starts)

Rivera     0.577/4.15
    Soriano  0.409/1.23 (4.23 after tonight)
    Robertson  0.517/0.00
    Ayala         1.645/0.87

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Let's not get ridiculous here. We're still tied with NYY in the loss column, so they're just as likely to catch us.
    Either way ... no, they're not catching either of us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Can Rays Catch the Yankees:
    sure they can then again this is BB less than a week from now   we might be asking the same about the rays catching sox
    Posted by pinstripezac32

That was yesterdays news...don't you remember!

The Sox were supposed go ofer on their current road trip, get steam rolled by Texas and come home in a neck and neck race with the Ray's for the WC all the while the Yanks would fatten up on the likes of the Twins and A's and ran away with it by the 1st of Sept...

Come on my good friend, you really need to start paying attention...lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

That was yesterdays news...

LOL

my bad BT

WTF was i thinking

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's not get ridiculous here. We're still tied with NYY in the loss column, so they're just as likely to catch us. Either way ... no, they're not catching either of us.
    Posted by LloydDobler

The 2 extra wins we have count for something.

I wouldn't say "just as likely"... but I get your point.

It's highly unlikely, but look at the Colorado example. That was even more "impossible".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Extremely unlikely, but when you got a pitching staff like this, doing so well in the "dog days" of summer, one never knows... Last 28 days: ERA/WHIP Hellickson  2.03/1.200 D. Price       2.55/1.104 Niemann     2.61/1.000 J. Shields    3.13/1.011 W. Davis     3.14/1.000 Farnsworth  0.429/0.96 Peralta          0.743/1.69 The Yanks over the last 28 days...   Burnett   1.909/8.77 Colon      1.407/5.33 Sabathia 1.414/5.28  (Before tonight) Nova        1.121/3.55 Garcia     1.364/2.45 Hughes   0.800/1.80 (3 starts) Rivera     0.577/4.15 Soriano  0.409/1.23 (4.23 after tonight) Robertson  0.517/0.00 Ayala         1.645/0.87
    Posted by moonslav59

Hey Moon,

It's gettin late early for the Rays...

In the last ten games, they haven'y made up any ground (All three are 6-4)...

In the month of August they've gainrd 1 in loss column on the Yanks and 2 on the Sox.

Teams records since August 1st.
    Tampa           14-7
    New York       12-8
    Boston           13-9

The only hope they have of catching either is to dominate the games they have remaing vs both clubs and hope that one or the other plays .500 ball the rest of the way...both are unlikely senerio's.

The Sox have 33 games remaining, the Yanks 35 and the Rays 34...

The Rays are 8 games out in the loss column...

So if the Sox and Yanks play .500 the rest of the way...The Rays would need to go 25 and 9 to tie....If the Sox and Yanks play .600 ball the rest of the way (21 and 12), the Rays would then need to go 29 & 5...

I'd say it might be time for the fat lady to get warmed up...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Might have been more interesting if Manny hadn't been...Manny.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Wishful thinking. Rays have been out of it for months. They will remain out of it. Yankees have better pitching staff, despite all the blowhards boasting about Rays pitching.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I knew a silly clown who said it was "all about the pitching", especially in the "dog days". Now, he's flopping like a Democrat at election time.

What part of "highly unlikely" does he not get?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Never going to happen.

It is about pitching, assuming all else is close to equal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Can Rays Catch the Yankees:
    Another Yankee loss to the A's tonight.  Meanwhile Tampa wins.  Only 7 back and the two teams will be meeting again.  Ut oh.  What say you?
    Posted by fenwayjack2

I give the Rays a lot of credit for drafting/mentoring and bringing up good arms.  Not sure if luck, gifted recruiting or just a combination of things, but it does keep them in most games.  Catching the Yankees? I don't see it happening

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

It would be nice!!  But aidnt happening unless Yankees suddenly fall apart like the Red Sox did in 1978!!

Like one of the poster above that Rays need to play at least .650 ball for the rest of the year while Yankees need to play .450 ball for the rest of the year. Plus Rays plays six times against the Yankees.  Meaning, they need to get 5 wins or all 6 wins against the Yankees.  

Well, in someway, I hope Tampa get within 3 to 4 games behind the Yankees before the 152nd or 153rd games of the year where the Yankees will not be able to rest players cuz the Yankees last 9 games of the year are against Tampa (3 games), Boston (3 games) and @ Tampa (3 games).   That is why I do hope Yankees starts to struggle a bit while Tampa continues to get on hot roll.

But like one of the poster above, Boston need to get on a hot roll, and let these two fight for the wildcard spot!!

Go Sox!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Rays are out of it primarily because of weak hitting.  The four most likely AL teams--Boston, NY, Texas, and Detroit--to go to the playoffs in 2011 all have good offenses.  Boston and Detroit do not have good pitching. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

The Rays have had a better season than I thought they would. I just don't see them catching the Yanks or the Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

yes they can

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

yes they can
    Posted by small-package

If they can catch the Yankees, they can catch the RS too; brilliant. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Rays are out of it primarily because of weak hitting.  The four most likely AL teams--Boston, NY, Texas, and Detroit--to go to the playoffs in 2011 all have good offenses.  Boston and Detroit do not have good pitching. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Please explain?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look at the Sox WHIP and ERA on the road. The Sox have an excellent staff even after losing 2 top 5 starters and 2 5 top releivers for almost the whole year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Detroit doesn't have good pitching? RU Kidding? I don't relish any team having to face Verlander 2-3 times in a series. Moon answered for Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

I realize the Rays don't have enough lumber to hang in there any longer.   But an obnxioious Yankee fan recently posed the question as to whether Tampa could overtake Boston on the MLB Yankee board. 

Knowing he reads our Globe Board I decided to stick to him here.  And it also served the purpose of riling up a few other Yank fans who can dish it out but can't take it. 

Sections
Shortcuts