Can Ryan Lavarnway play any third base?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Can Ryan Lavarnway play any third base?

If Lavarnway makes the ML roster but we keep Shoppach also, what do folks think of idea of RL at third ?
    This might allow resting Papi against tough lefties, and playing Youk at DH a few times. However it might also destroy the defense if he just can't play the position.
    I'm concerned about Youk's health, Middlebrooks being so far from ML ready ( if at all, ever) and finding ways to get Lavarnway plate apps.
    Sounder baseball minds than mine must decide if Lavarnway better off playing full time in AAA or sitting in Big Leagues, and how to juggle Youk's health, Ortiz' aging & inevitable decline, etc.
    Anyone know if Ryan EVER played third base ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Can Ryan Lavarnway play any third base?

I'm sure he played it in little league.  But There isn't any real point to moving Lava to 3rd.  Middlebrooks is only ~1 year away.  Lava should spend his time playing every day continuing to improve his catching skills.  The only exception would be if he were DH'ing at the MLB level while also learning the pitching staff and working with Tuck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I doubt Lava will see any times at 3rd during his career with Red Sox.  Youk is set to start the season at 3B and if he goes down during the season, we still have Aviles or Middlebrooks would get call-up to the big league depending on his performance in Pawtucket.  Lavarnway would see some DH times IF and only if Ortiz struggles against lefties.  Otherwise, Lava will get more playing times at Pawtucket behind the plate. 

What I would love to see is Bogaert playing OF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Can Ryan Lavarnway play any third base?:
    I doubt Lava will see any times at 3rd during his career with Red Sox.  Youk is set to start the season at 3B and if he goes down during the season, we still have Aviles or Middlebrooks would get call-up to the big league depending on his performance in Pawtucket.  Lavarnway would see some DH times IF and only if Ortiz struggles against lefties.  Otherwise, Lava will get more playing times at Pawtucket behind the plate.  What I would love to see is Bogaert playing OF.
    Posted by seannybboi

I think Iggy has to prove himself before that move is made.  I don't see Bogaerts sticking at SS either, but he has more value as a SS.  I'd like him to work on his arm strength a bit to possibly make the adjustment to RF down the road, but he has more important things to work on at this point (as do most 19 y/o's).

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Nope! He can't and you can forget the outfield as well he's either a catcher or a DH you make the call. The signing of the McGrath kid from down under (Australia)could be a good signing as he's the best pitcher in his country though that's not saying much. Oswalt needs to take a crap or get off the pot. Red Sox go to arbitration next week with 34,shoot just sign him to a multi-year deal and get it over with. Bud Selig has been moving about as fast as a turtle in regards to the Compensation for Theo is concerned,what a waste!Going to Jet Blue on 3/12 hope all you knuckleheads get a chance to check out the new stadium in  FT.Myers.  Xander Bogaerts is the best player in the Sox little leagues,Iggy better find him a hitting guru or he won't see the green monster in his life as a Sox SS!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see Lava in the OF (he's played there before), but the Sox would need a better all around internal option behind the plate (Swihart?)  Lava should at least spend his pre arb years behind the plate before possibly taking the Napoli route from starting C to everyday utility player  / backup C.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Lava was an outfielder at Yale until they, out of necessity, converted him to catcher. Why couldn't he play in the outfield for the Sox?? I assume he has a good arm, his foot speed might not be up to par, but his bat could be very valuable on an every day basis. Would they rather D. MacDonald in RF?  Play the kid and maybe, just maybe he'll be their next outfield slugger !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

A bat like Lavarnway's needs to be on the major league roster, period. The Red Sox could conceivably break camp with three catchers, especially with Crawford out at the beginning, if Lavarnway is also used as an outfielder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

"LET ME BE CLEAR",  WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE NEXT CARLTON FISK AND PUT HIM AT 3RD BASE ?????????  DOES BOBBY V. , BEN C.,  AND LUCCIANO's KNOW THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE THINKING ????
    Posted by Bill-806

Nobody EVER offered this old man money for MY scouting opinions, and they'd probably be fools to do so,LOL !
    The next Fisk ???    Man I sure hope you're right on that one, we could use such an icon and class act again.
    After last year's cup of coffee and decent performance, I admit to being much surprised by signing of Shoppach. Leads me to conclude that at least in "brain trust's eyes " Ryan needs a lot more time catching at AAA; although his bat may be ML ready.
    Re : Bogaerts & Middlebrooks....Xander appears to need at least 2 more years to fill out / develop before evaluation possible...and I fear Middlebrooks lacks the pitch recognition / selectivity to ever start in Bigs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

if it was up to me, i would give lavarnway the starting job and make salty the back up. Salty did little last season to solidify his spot as the number 1 catcher. His defense is questionable at best and his batting average was terrible. He did have good power numbers but overall as a hitter he was not very good last year. lavarnway has the potential to put up mike napoli type numbers with better defense. I say give him a shot, he cant be any worse than salty.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility to consider Lavarnway in LF. Especially at home. No way the guy ever plays 3rd. Now Swihart may end up there or Bogaerts but I think both players probably end up at their originally assigned positions at least at the beginning of their mlb career. Assuming they get that far.

We are going to want to get Lavarnway's bat in the lineup. They say they need to save cash. If Lavarnway keeps hitting I'm doing something to get him PT. He could put up some 40 HR years as a Sox. We probably find a spot for him somewhere and that spot should allow for a lot of PT. He's the new Victor IMO and his swing seems optimized for Fenway. Think Rico Petrocelli upsized by about 30%.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Lava was an outfielder at Yale until they, out of necessity, converted him to catcher. Why couldn't he play in the outfield for the Sox?? I assume he has a good arm, his foot speed might not be up to par, but his bat could be very valuable on an every day basis. Would they rather D. MacDonald in RF?  Play the kid and maybe, just maybe he'll be their next outfield slugger !!
    Posted by BOSOX1941

I'm not against Lava testing OF but he's gotta loose some weight first.  I'm not saying he's fat, but he's hugh... Just a bit of weight loss...
    But... our farm system has few OF talents waiting.  There's no neccesity of putting him out there either...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He looks around 220 or so. He deemed to lose quite a bit of weight when he went to Venezuela where he got sick. He looks OF ready!

All this is huge speculation guys. There is no indication they will even try him in the OF. And there is an indication that he will be needed at the catcher position before long. Sometimes a special bat needs to be in the lineup daily though and PT duty in LF, in Fenway, is not a crazy option to me. Against LH, to give Crawford some rest once in a while.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from atteckus. Show atteckus's posts

I would say that "Fisk" is an assessment that is way premature.  I can say that "Buster Posey-like" is his maximum attainable upside.  If you ask Arnie Beyeler, he will tell you that this kid can seriously catch in the MLB.  He's done nothing but improve from the first day to today.  He blocks virtually everything.  He throws out tons of base-stealers.  And he rips the cover off of the ball.

NO, he cannot play the outfield.  He failed at that at Yale.  No, he cannot play third.  It would be like asking Herman Munster to do so.  Can you imagine Herman trying to bend over for a grounder?  Yeah, that's what it would be like.
    I suppose it is possible to work with him so that he would be a highly inadequate first baseman.  He is a catcher and possible DH/PH.

Ideally, the Sox will either release Shoppach in ST, or send Ryan to Pawtucket.  Ryan's day on the big league squad will come soon, and he will not be going back to the minors.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Maybe he can try playing 3B in the minor league.  But not in AAA since Middlebrook occupied that spot.  So therefore, Larvanaway will have to play in the double AA. It is too late for him to move around to find a spot so he can have alot of playing time in the major league level.   Either he stay as a catcher or go back to OF!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Put him behind the plate and ship Sodium out of Boston. We need a catcher that can hit and actually catch pitched balls!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Put him behind the plate and ship Sodium out of Boston. We need a catcher that can hit and actually catch pitched balls!
    Posted by Alibiike

Clever

Sodium = Salty

Yesterday Georom referred to Beckett as Slosh Buckette.
    Giggle, Giggle.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I'm not ready to give up on Saltalamacchia as catcher , at least versus r/h pitching, but I'd like to see Lavarnway get a chance. It's a demanding position so a platoon might work, or at least a semi-platoon.

I believe Salty can settle in as a pretty good power hitting catcher ; remember he's still quite inexperienced at ML level yet has good potential with bat.
    And Lavarnway the same, perhaps bigger upside offensively. I don't wish to make Ryan a third baseman or outfielder for good, just get him M.L. plate apps.

With Shoppach around it's not looking like Ryan will play much if at all in bigs yet.

Sections
Shortcuts