Can somebody tell me what happens if Wild Card Teams tie at end of year.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Can somebody tell me what happens if Wild Card Teams tie at end of year.

What happens if 2 of the 3 wild card teams tie. Is the winner decided on best record division etc. or do they play eachother & then play the other WC team. Heck, what happens if all 3 WC teams, Rays, Indians & Rangers, end up tied.

Actually, I don't fear playing Detroit more than the Rays but the problem is that if the A's then beat the WC team, they get Home Field playing us so it's still best to have the best record.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Can somebody tell me what happens if Wild Card Teams tie at end of year.

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

What happens if 2 of the 3 wild card teams tie. Is the winner decided on best record division etc. or do they play eachother & then play the other WC team.

yes

Heck, what happens if all 3 WC teams, Rays, Indians & Rangers, end up tied.

Three-Club Tie for Two Wild Card Spots:
    After Clubs have been assigned their A, B and C designations, Club A would host Club B on Monday, Sept. 30 (tentatively). The winner of the game would be declared one Wild Card winner. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B on Tuesday, Oct. 1 (tentatively) to determine the second Wild Card Club.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130904&content_id=59527184

Actually, I don't fear playing Detroit more than the Rays but the problem is that if the A's then beat the WC team, they get Home Field playing us so it's still best to have the best record.

not saying U did but

I wouldn't underestimate the tigers

wouldn't worry about any of that now

IMO sox have home field locked

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

easy solution. each teams general manager cuts a deck of cards............high card wins. lol......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

They enter some ridiculous double elimination tournament.  Very difficult to full understand however, one must question who would had come up with those rules...it seems like some crazy new board game a bunch of 6 years invented in the middle of a 2 day snow storm.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Heck, what happens if all 3 WC teams, Rays, Indians & Rangers, end up tied.

Three-Club Tie for Two Wild Card Spots:
    After Clubs have been assigned their A, B and C designations, Club A would host Club B on Monday, Sept. 30 (tentatively). The winner of the game would be declared one Wild Card winner. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B on Tuesday, Oct. 1 (tentatively) to determine the second Wild Card Club.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130904&content_id=59527184

One other thing they were talking about on the radio the other day.  Club B actually get's their choice of whether they want to play potentially two on the road and have to win one, or just one at home  that they have to win.  So essentially Club B can switch spots with Club C.  Don't know why they would do that unless they really thought their chances of winning at home were that much better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

They enter some ridiculous double elimination tournament.  Very difficult to full understand however, one must question who would had come up with those rules...it seems like some crazy new board game a bunch of 6 years invented in the middle of a 2 day snow storm.......

I think they tried to set up a system so one team doesn't make the playoffs over another based strictly on tiebreakers and do this in as few games as possible.

Do you have a better idea?  I'm not attacking, just curious if there's something you think would be more reasonable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In view of all your comments, I hope they do end up tied & burn eachothers' starting pitchers while we rest up for the winner. Of course, we still need beat out Oakland for HFA. Orioles always play us tough at Fenway or Camden & delighted in knocking us out 2 years ago, it was their World Series, and I'm sure they'd like to disrupt our goals this weekend too. Fortunately, Buehrle pitched last night as he is almost as tough on us as Price & Moore of Tampa. Saw the the Yankees continue their choking against the Rays who should definitely be a WC team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In view of all your comments, I hope they do end up tied & burn eachothers' starting pitchers while we rest up for the winner. Of course, we still need beat out Oakland for HFA. Orioles always play us tough at Fenway or Camden & delighted in knocking us out 2 years ago, it was their World Series, and I'm sure they'd like to disrupt our goals this weekend too. Fortunately, Buehrle pitched last night as he is almost as tough on us as Price & Moore of Tampa. Saw the the Yankees continue their choking against the Rays who should definitely be a WC team.

hmm bad enough no appreciation for posting the info YOU requested

the link  for everything you need to know about tie breakers

but were 2 lazy to look up

but why go there? 'choking'

how can the non play off team choke against a PO team ?

lets call it what it is

Saw the the Yankees continue their choking to lay down against the Rays who should definitely be a WC team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

easy solution. each teams general manager cuts a deck of cards............high card wins. lol......

or ONE winner takes all round of PictionaryTongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think they tried to set up a system so one team doesn't make the playoffs over another based strictly on tiebreakers and do this in as few games as possible.

Do you have a better idea?  I'm not attacking, just curious if there's something you think would be more reasonable.

[/QUOTE]

Oh I know...it is the right thing to do....But the format is nutty......I don't have a better idea but then again, I haven't been paid to sit down and think of one either :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

bingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Will the yankees have home field advantage ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

hmm bad enough no appreciation for posting the info YOU requested

the link  for everything you need to know about tie breakers

but were 2 lazy to look up

but why go there? 'choking'

how can the non play off team choke against a PO team ?

lets call it what it is

Saw the the Yankees continue their choking to lay down against the Rays who should definitely be a WC team.

================================

How do you know I didn't appreciate your looking up the info the Heading Requested. This is one of the reasons for posting on the forum, to share opinions and ask opinions. What kind of acknowledgement of appreciation did you want ? You didn't need to respond if you felt I was too lazy to Google it ! Seems many others appreciated your response too.

Regarding the Yankees, MLB baseball teams consist of professional players who should play their best irrespective of their position in the standing. We the fans deserve that at the salaries they are paid. I used the word "choking" recalling 2011 when in  the last series NY failed to win a game vs Tampa and even led 7-0 in the last. And ya know what, I'm man enough to admit the Sox also choked not able to win one against Baltimore.

Do you think Baltimore in the next 3 games will not play the Red Sox with the goal to win yet they will go fishing, play golf, etc. in 3 days.

Your ego needs a Thank You. OK, Thank You for answering a question that I and I expect others did not look up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

It may be better not to have a tie for the Sox if they end up with Best Record and play the WC team.

If there is a tie, presumably each team would use their #1 starter to get to the WC game, this would mean of course they wouldnt pitch their #1 in the WC game on 10/2 and he could be available to pitch in Game 2 on 10/5 and then again in Game 5 on 10/10. If however there is not a tie, each team will pitch their #1 in the WC game on 10/2 and he would not be available to pitch until Game 3 on 10/7 and thus only able to pitch once in the ALDS series. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

It may be better not to have a tie for the Sox if they end up with Best Record and play the WC team.

If there is a tie, presumably each team would use their #1 starter to get to the WC game, this would mean of course they wouldnt pitch their #1 in the WC game on 10/2 and he could be available to pitch in Game 2 on 10/5 and then again in Game 5 on 10/10. If however there is not a tie, each team will pitch their #1 in the WC game on 10/2 and he would not be available to pitch until Game 3 on 10/7 and thus only able to pitch once in the ALDS series. 

Esp if we end up facing Tampa

Be careful of what you wish for - would you rather face TB in 5 or DT in 5?  I don't know but it's a valid question...........probably TB.......but it's close.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Tampa win the #1 spot while Texas and Cleveland tie for the #2 spot, then there will be a game between Texas and Cleveland to determine the winner for the #2 spot.

Then that winner will play Tampa just for one wildcard game.

So it is possible that whoever tie will be force to use two starting pitchings.

That is why I do pray that there is three teams ended up in the wildcard standing, no mater if three are all tied or two are tie for one spot!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

without a tie breaker the TB would be fairly well rested and still have Price/Morris for G1/G2 or vice versa........not much of a disadvantage

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

If Tampa win the #1 spot while Texas and Cleveland tie for the #2 spot, then there will be a game between Texas and Cleveland to determine the winner for the #2 spot.

Then that winner will play Tampa just for one wildcard game.

So it is possible that whoever tie will be force to use two starting pitchings.

That is why I do pray that there is three teams ended up in the wildcard standing, no mater if three are all tied or two are tie for one spot!!

Yes...but my point would be , lets say Darvis pitches on 9/30 to beat Cleveland and then Texas  uses Holland vs Tampa on 10/2 in tenWC and wins.....Darvish would be able to Pitch on 10/5 in Game 2 on normal rest and then again in Game 5, where as if there was no tie.....and lets sasy it was Tampa and Texas in the WC game....Darvish would pitch in it on 10/2 and could not pitch again until Game 3 of the ALDs and we would get him only once....we would however get Holland in Games 1 and 5 so Andrew's point that with Tampa who has no huge drop between their #1 and #2 there is no big advantage, but to me with Texas and Cleveland(with Masterson just coming back) if they only get to use Darvish or Jiminez once, that is a big advantage.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yup - lots of uncertainly and none of it can be controlled by the Sox

They can't worry about the other team

They just have to be as prepared and ready as possible

For some reason, off the top of my head, it does make me feel that winning Game 1 is even more important now than ever........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

How do you know I didn't appreciate your looking up the info the Heading Requested. This is one of the reasons for posting on the forum, to share opinions and ask opinions. What kind of acknowledgement of appreciation did you want ? You didn't need to respond if you felt I was too lazy to Google it ! Seems many others appreciated your response too.

at the time I gave you the benefit of doubt

some posters here aren't that computer savvy yet

Regarding the Yankees, MLB baseball teams consist of professional players who should play their best irrespective of their position in the standing. We the fans deserve that at the salaries they are paid.

A) I don't like the word choking, especially when it's missed used like U did

U want to say the yanks choked last week in boston- U would have a case

but the yanks have been dead men walking ever since then

not even good enough to choke

better words would have been

mailed it in

did not show

played like losers

stunk the place up

but not choking

I used the word "choking" recalling 2011 when in  the last series NY failed to win a game vs Tampa and even led 7-0 in the last.

wrong again

laid down or rested all their regulars would be more accurate

And ya know what, I'm man enough to admit the Sox also choked not able to win one against Baltimore.

still don't like the word but at least U used in correctly this time

Do you think Baltimore in the next 3 games will not play the Red Sox with the goal to win yet they will go fishing, play golf, etc. in 3 days.

balt hates the sox

yanks don't hate TB

BTW with no nyy in the PO

who do you think the most hated team is now

Your ego needs a Thank You. OK, Thank You for answering a question that I and I expect others did not look up.

nothing to do with my ego

it's not about me being right

just about making it a better place

seen it happen to many times where someone answers a Q for someone

and the poster doesn't acknowledge it

I think it's a better place when some  one can just type 6 letters

t h a n k s

U R welcome

Sections
Shortcuts