Can someone help me out here.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

Can someone help me out here.....

With the Sox dumping Scuturo, how much does that now leave the Sox to spend on pitching?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

Re: Can someone help me out here.....

not as much as you would think.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

"not as much as you think"? How the heck would you know?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

I'm guessing around 10 million if the Rockies picked up scuturos full contract ...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Can someone help me out here.....:
    [QUOTE]I'm guessing around 10 million if the Rockies picked up scuturos full contract ...
    Posted by RawckinSox[/QUOTE]

I believe that Scutaro's salary is $6 mil.  Oswalt supposedly is willing to sign a 1 year deal. He would be a good fit. Similar to the Yankees signing Kuroda....good pitcher who should be able to give us some innings. Only concerns are recent injuries and he hasn't pitched in the A.L.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Last I read, the Sox were about $3M under the luxory tax threshold. If that's true, that would leave them $9M under now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

[QUOTE]1st you teach him 2 fish and he ignores U then you give him the fish and he ignores you note 2 pzac ignore RawckinSox next time he asks 4 help
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I'm not ignoring you I just became Busy.. so 3million $ free'd up we'll say + 6 million from scuturo = around 9 - 10 million like I said...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

is it possible to get Oswalt and Cody Ross?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]is it possible to get Oswalt and Cody Ross?
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

Possible AND favorable to get both.

But it's not very likely...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I understand Oswalt for a year, hopefully a RS favorable contract but what does Ross bring to the table that we don't already have.  Am I missing something or did I misread but a 240 lifetime average doesn't impress. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I understand Oswalt for a year, hopefully a RS favorable contract but what does Ross bring to the table that we don't already have.  Am I missing something or did I misread but a 240 lifetime average doesn't impress. 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

A career .912 career OPS vs LHP, which helps if they platoon him with Sweeney

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I understand Oswalt for a year, hopefully a RS favorable contract but what does Ross bring to the table that we don't already have.  Am I missing something or did I misread but a 240 lifetime average doesn't impress. 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

You did misread: his career BA is .261.

His career numbers are very encouraging, particularly vs LHPs.

Overall (per 691 PAs):
    .261  25  93  (OBP .323/SLG .456/OPS .779)

vs LHPs (per 683 PAs):
    .282  41  125  (OBP .349/SLG .563/OPS .912)

Couple him with Sweeney, and their combined cost is just about $4M more than Reddick/DMac. 

(Sidenote: Our RF OPS was about .650 in 2011, and Sweeney had a career .754 OPS vs RHPs-- I'm thinking they can combine for an OPs over .800).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

As much as they want to spend. They have the money to get anyone they want, they just don't want to play the wealth redistribution game!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Scut was @ 6 and Ross was at 3

That's a savings of only 3

They maybe had 2 million prior to Scut/Ross

So figure 5 million....so forget Oswalt....I'm thinking a couple more reclamation projects

Look, we have to recalibrate our expectations this year.  This is not a championship team unless the Trio of Beckett/Lester/Buck ALL STEP UP....Given I am not counting on that I am willing to write this off 2012 being the mess that Theo left us with.  Furthermore, remember the competition is very strong this year - Rays, Rangers, Angels and Tigers are the favorites to make the playoffs this season.  Best we hold onto to our prospects and $ and come out strong for 2013.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Actually, the Scoot trade only freed up about $5M (maybe only $4.6M depending on how the CBA treated the bonus money) because of how player options are treated.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

From the old CBA:

"If a Player Option Year falls in the 2012 Contract Year or later, and the Base Salary (plus any attributed Signing Bonus, deferred compensation or annuity costs) in the Player Option Year (“Player Option Year Value”) is less than 80% of the Base Salary (plus any attributed Signing Bonus, deferred compensation or annuity costs) in the Guaranteed Year with the smallest such figure before the first such Player Option Year (80% Figure), then the difference between the 80% Figure and the Player Option Year Value shall be allocated pro rata across the Guaranteed Years preceding the first such Player Option Year; provided, however, that if the 80% Figure is itself less than 75% of the Average Annual Value of the Contract (calculated as if the Player Option Year was not a Guaranteed Year), then the 80% Figure shall instead be 75% of the Average Annual Value calculation set out immediately above."

Basically, since his player option was less than 80% of his lowest years guaranteed salary, the difference between 80% of his $5M salary and his player option (0.8 * $5M - $3M = $1M) should be prorated throughout the guaranteed years of his contract excluding his player option year.  This would mean that (barring any changes in the new CBA) Scoot's tax hit was only scheduled to be about $5M for 2012, even with the Sox picking up his $6M option, because at the end of a contract, the total CBT charge must equal the total money paid to the player, with some corrections occurring in the next season, such as with Beltre when we had the $3M tax hit for him last year, because of how his player option was structured.

If the bonus is counted as prorated through the first 2 years of his deal, it would be $1.4M of the player option prorated over the first 2 seasons, bringing his 2012 cap hit down to $4.6M.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scut was @ 6 and Ross was at 3

That's a savings of only 3

They maybe had 2 million prior to Scut/Ross

So figure 5 million....so forget Oswalt....I'm thinking a couple more reclamation projects

I think Floyd counts as $3.9, so there's our man!

Sections
Shortcuts