Can Someone Please Explain Why There Are No Demote Napoli Threads Anymore?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Can Someone Please Explain Why There Are No Demote Napoli Threads Anymore?

Just curious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why There Are No Demote Napoli Threads Anymore?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Just curious.

it was a fad. just like the trade drew threads, the trade Lester threads, trade middlebrooks threads, trade nava threads and so on......

too many fans are the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" types. Wishy Washy. either you like a guy or you don't. You can't hate a player when he muffs a ground ball and then love him when he hits a leadoff double. It's as pink hat as you can get...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Probably Salty next, since he's batting .208 last 28 days.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's like these guys never notice that all players, even the great ones, go through tough stretches, then bounce back.

They always think every rough patch signals the end of a career.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Agree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

It's like these guys never notice that all players, even the great ones, go through tough stretches, then bounce back.

Sox4ever

it wouldn't be as bad if they were gradual about it or looked for context. It's like a player does bad for a week or two and there is an angry mob ready to trade him for a bag of balls or exile him to pawtucket then the same player has a week long hot streak and the same posters are touting him as the next miguel cabrera...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Let's just call it straight-the haters have very limited BB IQ.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

it wouldn't be as bad if they were gradual about it or looked for context. It's like a player does bad for a week or two and there is an angry mob ready to trade him for a bag of balls or exile him to pawtucket then the same player has a week long hot streak and the same posters are touting him as the next miguel cabrera...

[/QUOTE]

Some decide to form a mob over one 3 K game. 

Of course, it would be nice for every one of our players to be consistent, but players taht are streaky and end up with good overall numbers, sometimes can carry a team on his back for a while all by himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Just curious.

Well, if you really want to know, the players and the organization monitor these chatboards very closely and take what ADG writes to heart.  Although they haven't stated it publicly, they rely on him as a keen observer of the game and alter their courses of action accordingly.  What ADG doesn't realize (until now, of course) is what a deal they're getting.  They get his take on the situation for free!  

They may have to reconsider why they hire Bill James and all the specialized coaches, scouts, and Sabermetricians for so much money. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The sad thing is that if you project a player to be done, washed up, his career over etc etc etc every time they start to struggle or go on a slump then eventually you will be right.  These people will one day be correct and come back and say "see I told ya so...." 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

Just curious.

it was a fad. just like the trade drew threads, the trade Lester threads, trade middlebrooks threads, trade nava threads and so on......

too many fans are the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" types. Wishy Washy. either you like a guy or you don't. You can't hate a player when he muffs a ground ball and then love him when he hits a leadoff double. It's as pink hat as you can get...

[/QUOTE]

Exactly and well said!!  Calling them 'pink hatters' may be the best possible way to describe it.  In fact I may take that from you and start using it!  Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The sad thing is that if you project a player to be done, washed up, his career over etc etc etc every time they start to struggle or go on a slump then eventually you will be right.  These people will one day be correct and come back and say "see I told ya so...." 

4-B's hit the nail on the head a few days ago when he said that's it's somehow important to these people to be first in that line. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Sox4ever

What's more surprising to me is that after 36000 posts you haven't accepted that when players are slumping there will be people who get down on them. 

I actually prefer a thread discussing the merits of a certain player even if it's started by someone who wants him traded to a thread whining about what other posters are saying.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Just curious.

i've been busy, give me a minute Wink 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Well timed OP with Napoli hot as blazes in September and currently a WAR of 3.3--that's cumulative for the season, not just right now--that ranks him 35th overall in the AL.  But in defense of those who had doubts, we should also recognize that Napoli definitely blows hot and cold, plus he strikes out a lot, more than anyone else on the Sox.  And, when he was batting 5th right behind Ortiz, I think it is fair to say Ortiz wasn't going to get many good pitches to swing at.  Still, with salary and bonuses totalling $13M, I think most of us would agree he has more than earned his pay and has been good for this team.  Nevertheless, I think it is an open question about whether the Sox will try to keep him.  I think they will give Drew a good offer, which would likely move Bogaerts to 3B and Middlebrooks to 1B in 2014. 

I knew nothing about Napoli before this season and expected little.  In fact, I thought overall he would be below average for firstbaseman, and I was dead wrong.  Definitely above average in the field and at the plate.  Good for team chemistry too.  So the Sox might decide to give him a good offer as well.