Can the Red Sox make it to the World Series with their current pitching rotation?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Re: Can the Red Sox make it to the World Series with their current pitching rotation?

In response to DPapiOrtiz's comment:

Tigers are probably the scariest postseason team in the American League. That starts with their pitching staff, where Verlander has the fourth-best ERA in the starting rotation. (And the starting pitcher who's 10-0, Scherzer, still isn't the staff's best. That would be Anibal Sanchez to this point.) Are Lester/Buchholtz/Dempster/Lackey good enough to lead the Sox to the World Series or does Ben have to try to get Cliff Lee. Also does he have to get a closer- Papelbon or Jesse Crain?(The Tigers will be trying to get a closer also.)

The answer to your question is simple.  I'll give you a hint......it is a word with two letters.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Can the Red Sox make it to the World Series with their current pitching rotation?

I'd say we could win, but we'd need a lot of things to all go right at the same time.

I'd love to get another quality pitcher under team control for 2+ years, but it would be costly, in terms of prospects and possibly the budget as well. I'm not sure Lee is the answer, but if we can get him for cheap or get them to pay some of his salary.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tigers are probably the scariest postseason team in the American League. That starts with their pitching staff, where Verlander has the fourth-best ERA in the starting rotation. (And the starting pitcher who's 10-0, Scherzer, still isn't the staff's best. That would be Anibal Sanchez to this point.) Are Lester/Buchholtz/Dempster/Lackey good enough to lead the Sox to the World Series or does Ben have to try to get Cliff Lee. Also does he have to get a closer- Papelbon or Jesse Crain?(The Tigers will be trying to get a closer also.)

The answer to your question is simple.  I'll give you a hint......it is a word with two letters.

[/QUOTE]
    seabeachfred, do you consider this a bridge year, or should Ben trade for Cliff Lee and give the Phillies a package of 2 top prospects  and possibly a player on the 25 man roster-(Tazawa or Iglesias)?

[/QUOTE]

Lately, our hitters have come back down to earth like Nava, Pedroia, Napoli, Salty and even to a lesser extent Papi.  I would love to win the division for a change but I think that is as far as this over-achieving (so far) can take us.....that is, in my opinion.  Our starting rotation is springing leaks......Buchholz can't stay in one piece (again), Lester is falling apart at the moment, and who knows if Doubrant's gem against the Rays was fool's gold.  Here's what I think we should do......we wait until a week before the trade deadline.....around July 24-25 and see where we are in the standings.  If we are still in first place or a v ery close second we should make a move for a good starting pitcher with capability to be the co-ace of the staff with what we hope is a mended Buchholz.  However, those prospects must not include Cecchini, Renaudo, Boegarts, Bradley or Brentz.  We can give them one of our young pitching prospects and a good prospect at the lower level and maybe a veteran from this year's team.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, Red Sox pitching is fifth in the American League in WAR* this season, but only 13th in June:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=al&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=al&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=6&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

On a positive note, Red Sox hitters are second in the league in WAR this season, including first by a wide margin in June:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=6&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Detroit has a great rotation, but the playoffs are pretty much the luck of the draw.

As constructed, we can make the playoffs, maybe even finish first, but for beyond that, we're a big dog without a vintage Lester.

OTOH, if you look at the likely playoff teams in the AL, who has a really good rotation beyond Detroit?

Sections
Shortcuts