1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?

The Sox can easily get a WC spot.  as for the division - i dont think the yankees collapse to that extent.  now if CC were to go down.......

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?

I agree with not looking at the Schedule and hoping to beat this team or that time.  They should take a one game at a time approach or at least one series at a time.  During the weekend all the analyst were saying that the Sox weren't that far behind the WC spot, but that there were too many teams in front of them.  I looked at that and saw the Tigers coming to town and thought, Hmm, if we sweep these guys that's one less team in front of us.  So if we win tonight and the ray loss we catch tow of those teams and can start looking at the O's.  Let's start there and when we can look up and only see the Yankees in front of us we can see what the spread is and start talking about them...Deal?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I always remain hopeful and optimistic.   I know the odds on winning the division are slim.  I know that it's an uphill battle to even get a WC spot.  But as long as there's a chance, no matter how small, why give up hope?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    [QUOTE]I always remain hopeful and optimistic.   I know the odds on winning the division are slim.  I know that it's an uphill battle to even get a WC spot.  But as long as there's a chance, no matter how small, why give up hope?
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

How about those Rangers?? Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'd feel better if Ortiz was back in the lineup. But never say never.

Last year, EVERYONE gave the Sox the Division title and certainly a playoff spot at the beginning of September. Look what happened.

Now, EVERYONE is writing off the Sox, giving them no chance to make the playoffs or do damage in the playoffs. 

So who knows?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : How about those Rangers??
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

LOL   Two words are coming to mind - smart and azz.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

First, I love optimism.  But, as a Sox fan since 1949, I've sort of had pessimism ingrained into my psyche.

No question the Sox have a shot at the wild card.  And, if the Yankees keep sliding, catching them is possible.  

But here's some reasons for my pessimism.  

First, there are only 3 teams in the entire American League who are not bonafide contenders for a wild card.  That means 11 teams are in the hunt.  Yes, the Athletics could fade as quickly as they have grabbed the spotlight, but that still leaves a bunch of other teams who could get hot.  Fortunately 5 of those 11 teams go to the postseason, but reality says it's a pretty full leaderboard, and Oakland and LA have the inside track on the two wild cards.

Second, the Sox have a brutal end of season schedule--24 straight games against the AL East, 13 of them on the road.  No Seattle, no Minnesota, no KC.  Just hardball. 

Third, the rotation is still scary.  Yes, Buchholz is looking like an ace these days.  And Doubront ain't far behind.  But Beckett, Lester, and Cook don't look so hot, and Morales can't replace all three of them.  Let's not forget, too, that Doubront is probably not going to be allowed to pitch into September--you know, during crunch time. 

Fourth is something Remy said last night when he commented on the three game winning streak.  He also said this has happened multiple times this season--a nice little streak that inevitably is followed by a losing streak.  Two steps forward, then two steps back. 

Back to the optimism, briefly. This is the golden age for Sox fans because Henry and company have consistently produced capable, watchable teams, to say nothing of two WS after 86 years of drought. This is the worst season in over ten years, but the team is still watchable and root-for-able. With all the injuries and subpar performances, etc, tonight I still get to watch a game whose outcome is meaningful. I had an uncle who watched Sox games for over 70 years and died before the 2004 miracle.   So I kind of feel I've got it pretty good. Uncle Ned would have loved to watch--and gripe about--the Sox this year.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotrod2. Show hotrod2's posts

It's not like the yanks are any good. Of course they can be cought.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Lester and Beckett can remember how to pitch, this team could go on a roll for the ages.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]Nick Cafardo Boston Globe, National Baseball Writer Derek Lowe said he just needs "a tuneup" working with personal trainer chris correnti at fort myers home. Would love red sox reunion
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Would love to see Lowe come back and replace Cook. Could he really be much worse? And Morales, by all rights, should replace Lester-which won't happen, of course.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : Would love to see Lowe come back and replace Cook. Could he really be much worse? And Morales, by all rights, should replace Lester-which won't happen, of course.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Lester looked pretty good, last time out, against the NYY. I wouldn't pull the plug just yet. Lesters mechanics got out of whack. Cook just doesn't have them. Agree, on bringing Lowe back. Why not, the FO has been recycling pitchers, for years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

In Response to Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    [QUOTE]Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? About a week ago the Sox were 11 1/2 games behind the Yankees-this morning they are 7 1/2 games behind. And don't look now, but the Yankees have lost 9 of their last 12. And we all know after following baseball for years, that anything is possible. Ben didn’t do much to help the team. So fine. As Belichick says, “it is what it is”. So for the next two months I can malign this team or I can think of the possibility that maybe, just maybe this team can win the AL East, and then who knows how far this team can go. I plan to do the latter. I’m not worried about the offense. So can the pitching staff get us to the promised land? Let’s start with the bullpen. Reinforcements are on their way. Bailey are Bard are returning. Ben added an effective left handed pitcher, Craig Breslow, to go along with Andrew Miller who has been successful in his role. Bailey can move back to the closer’s role; Aceves will move into the set-up spot where he was highly effective last year. And Bobby also has Padilla to go to in the late innings. In addition, Tazawa has also turned out to be a formidable middle inning weapon. As far as the starting totation is concerned, with the addition of Breslow, Bobby can add Franklin Morales into the starter's role. Buchholtz has looked like a top of the rotation caliber pitcher in his latest starts. And Felix Doubront has pitched effectively this season and will continue to improve. And I believe Lester will straighten himself out and start looking like the Lester of old. So in conclusion, I'm not conceding anything. I believe in September the Sox will be involved in an exciting playoff race. And just maybe we will be seeing playoff baseball this year at Fenway Park. Go Sox!
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    No.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : No.
    Posted by Harpua710[/QUOTE]

Maybe so or maybe not.......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : Maybe so or maybe not.......
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Was it for this my life I sought?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : Was it for this my life I sought?
    Posted by Harpua710[/QUOTE]

Control for smilers can't be bought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

NYE @ MSG again this year Thesemen, looking forward to it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Pros:

An 8 game lead with 2 months to go is not a slam-dunk lead; look how quickly 4 games evaporated the last week or so

The Yankees are clearly a flawed team

Cons:

They would have to leap frog a bunch of teams, who play each other often; that makes it more difficult mathematically. Also, Oak and the LAA don't seem to be folding so easily.

They have a tough schedule

The "experts" in the media don't feel the RS SP, as currently constituted, will be good enough in order to contend 

Other Comments:

In order for them to play up to their potential, Bobby V needs to watch his mouth, and generally speaking the FO has to side with him vs the players 

25. This post has been removed.