1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?

Boston was like that a couple years ago, but injuries in the month of August and September blew their chance to make a comeback and try to win the division.

So I can see Boston doing it this year only if they stop getting hurt.  Also during the month of September, Boston would have the best 40 man roster of all AL teams.  Normally they have an awful 40 man roster every year and rarely rely on these September call up.   Now with a deeper bullpen and bench in the month of September could finally give Boston a good chance to make a good run at the divisional title!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?

Sounds reasonable to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Doubtful.  But isn't it nice to think so? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

August 1978 makes it possible..Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Just when the sox start to give you hope this year by winning a few in a row, they start floundering again like a fish out of water. The sox had there chance to turn it around many times this year and have failed miserably, sry but ive exhausted my faith that the red sox can be the team they once were. The team has no identity, and until they find it things are going to be tough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why not BELIEVE???  Of course, Max B., taking a pessimistic view, is correct to call it doubtful.  Through a more optimistic prism, we might call "doubtful" "a hard row to hoe", or "an uphill battle".  But, anyway you slice it 7 1/2 games is "within striking distance".  And as long as the club remains in striking distance (a sliding scale of course as the season shortens), I remain hopeful.  It will take the team being able to break through the season-long pattern of having the bottom fall out of every good run they make.  But, why not?  pick up a couple more games before the next Yankee series, and, well, pretty interesting.  

I don't feel extremely confident, but I do remain hopeful.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:

I don't feel extremely confident, but I do remain hopeful.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

That about sums it up...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox have moved ahead of the Rays in the Cool Standings playoff odds:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2012&i=1

Red Sox fans should continue to root for their team because anything can happen, but chances are the Sox will be in the familiar position they were the past two postseasons.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    Lets just win tonight.
    Posted by bobbysu

Correct perspective bobbysu.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Why not BELIEVE???  Of course, Max B., taking a pessimistic view, is correct to call it doubtful.  Through a more optimistic prism, we might call "doubtful" "a hard row to hoe", or "an uphill battle".  But, anyway you slice it 7 1/2 games is "within striking distance".  And as long as the club remains in striking distance (a sliding scale of course as the season shortens), I remain hopeful.  It will take the team being able to break through the season-long pattern of having the bottom fall out of every good run they make.  But, why not?  pick up a couple more games before the next Yankee series, and, well, pretty interesting.   I don't feel extremely confident, but I do remain hopeful.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

That is a good way to put it....no reason not too believe....especially when the Sox still have to play the Yankees 9 more times...albeit 6 times in the Bronx....if Lester and Beckett could pitch like they did before the collapse last year, I would feel alot more confident.....the Yankees are a broken team right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Posted by bald-predictions

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Hope springs eternal, anything can happen..... It all sounds good but I doubt it. These thoughts do make watching the games more interesting but good old Josh is hurt yet again so who knows what will happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Today through Aug 16 will be the critical stretch.  There are 15 games and only 3 (at home v Tex) are against a true top tier AL squad (the others are 1H v Det, 4H v Min, 4 @Cle, 3 @Bal).  If this team plays well, 11-4 or better is a realistic outcome from these games.  That would put the Sox on a solid roll heading into their next series in the Bronx.  Then its a race again, and anything can happen as we saw in '78 and again last year.

They really need to win the upcoming series vs Minn at home.  Every step forward so far this year has been followed by a step back, and not getting 3 of 4 v the Twins would show this really is a team that will teeter around .500 and not be a serious threat.  All I can do is hope and cheer for good results. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Probably should focus on wild card, but interesting thought. I'd say the division... less than 10% chance of happening (don't forget about the RAYS). In order for the Sox to win the division- Lestah needs to be a stud. Buch has been great and should continue that way. Cook, Moarales, and Dubront (and even Beckett) have ERA's in the mid 4's. Not horrible, but let's be honest not great (compare that to Peavy and Sale for ChiSox). This time of year the team needs a Pedro like pitcher who ensures a win. Lestah needs to step up!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Today through Aug 16 will be the critical stretch.  There are 15 games and only 3 (at home v Tex) are against a true top tier AL squad (the others are 1H v Det, 4H v Min, 4 @Cle, 3 @Bal).  If this team plays well, 11-4 or better is a realistic outcome from these games.  That would put the Sox on a solid roll heading into their next series in the Bronx.  Then its a race again, and anything can happen as we saw in '78 and again last year. They really need to win the upcoming series vs Minn at home.  Every step forward so far this year has been followed by a step back, and not getting 3 of 4 v the Twins would show this really is a team that will teeter around .500 and not be a serious threat.  All I can do is hope and cheer for good results. 
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan

I do not think we should look ahead at the schedule.  Last year, everyone looked at Boston's schedule, and all thought that they should be able to regain themselves and clinch the wildcard spot.  But they didnt.

So therefore, I do not think it matter who Boston is playing against.  Just go out there and beat whoever they are facing against.  That is all matter!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : I do not think we should look ahead at the schedule.  Last year, everyone looked at Boston's schedule, and all thought that they should be able to regain themselves and clinch the wildcard spot.  But they didnt. So therefore, I do not think it matter who Boston is playing against.  Just go out there and beat whoever they are facing against.  That is all matter!!
    Posted by GoUconn13
    agree, now as a whole, i'm not against "what if" scenarios, but they don't work if the team doesn't take care of their own business, just for instance, the Sox worrying about catching the Yanks doesn't work if they turn around and get beat up by the O's..and the same if the Yanks were looking over their shoulders at the Sox..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Today through Aug 16 will be the critical stretch.  There are 15 games and only 3 (at home v Tex) are against a true top tier AL squad (the others are 1H v Det, 4H v Min, 4 @Cle, 3 @Bal).  If this team plays well, 11-4 or better is a realistic outcome from these games.  That would put the Sox on a solid roll heading into their next series in the Bronx.  Then its a race again, and anything can happen as we saw in '78 and again last year. They really need to win the upcoming series vs Minn at home.  Every step forward so far this year has been followed by a step back, and not getting 3 of 4 v the Twins would show this really is a team that will teeter around .500 and not be a serious threat.  All I can do is hope and cheer for good results. 
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan

For what it's worth, the Rangers were 9-14 in July and the Red Sox 12-14. Other July records:

16-10 Tigers
    12-14 Twins
    11-15 Indians
    13-14 Orioles

19-5 Athletics
    14-12 Angels
    15-11 Mariners

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Anythings possible but i would rate their chances of catching the yanks at about 3% and catching one of the WC spots at about 8% and would gladly book any bets contrary to that if it were legal to do so.I'd spend my winning on a large double anchovies,peporoni,mushroom pizza.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts