1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?

In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    [QUOTE]I would like to quote from the great philosopher Yogi Berra: " It ain't over 'til it's over "
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]There's another one that says "you are what your record says you are". Sometimes aces need to overcome theri own teams definciencies in order to win. Thats why they're aces. Hard to get excited over baby steps in August.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?

Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

This team is cooked. Regardless of what any other team does, there is no evidence they can string together a bunch of wins. I hope I'm wrong, a comeback would be a lot of fun and a great story, but I see no reason for optimism.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    [QUOTE]Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? About a week ago the Sox were 11 1/2 games behind the Yankees-this morning they are 7 1/2 games behind. And don't look now, but the Yankees have lost 9 of their last 12. And we all know after following baseball for years, that anything is possible. Ben didn’t do much to help the team. So fine. As Belichick says, “it is what it is”. So for the next two months I can malign this team or I can think of the possibility that maybe, just maybe this team can win the AL East, and then who knows how far this team can go. I plan to do the latter. I’m not worried about the offense. So can the pitching staff get us to the promised land? Let’s start with the bullpen. Reinforcements are on their way. Bailey are Bard are returning. Ben added an effective left handed pitcher, Craig Breslow, to go along with Andrew Miller who has been successful in his role. Bailey can move back to the closer’s role; Aceves will move into the set-up spot where he was highly effective last year. And Bobby also has Padilla to go to in the late innings. In addition, Tazawa has also turned out to be a formidable middle inning weapon. As far as the starting totation is concerned, with the addition of Breslow, Bobby can add Franklin Morales into the starter's role. Buchholtz has looked like a top of the rotation caliber pitcher in his latest starts. And Felix Doubront has pitched effectively this season and will continue to improve. And I believe Lester will straighten himself out and start looking like the Lester of old. So in conclusion, I'm not conceding anything. I believe in September the Sox will be involved in an exciting playoff race. And just maybe we will be seeing playoff baseball this year at Fenway Park. Go Sox!
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

This is what I love about RSN and this forum. You are like vinegar in pizz when things go bad but the second the sun peeps through the clouds, you are all out there tanning.

Never change my friends.

FTR - Back to a 10 game deficit between our two teams. Maybe the Sox need to worry about Tampa and Baltimore first and try and get into the WC. And they better, because I bet big money they would.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

No they cannot and I was optimistic against Detroit and then watched this team kose 3 in a row. Unfortunately its nothing butba .500 team and no better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : This is what I love about RSN and this forum. You are like vinegar in pizz when things go bad but the second the sun peeps through the clouds, you are all out there tanning. Never change my friends. FTR - Back to a 10 game deficit between our two teams. Maybe the Sox need to worry about Tampa and Baltimore first and try and get into the WC. And they better, because I bet big money they would.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I hope that you really didn't bet too much.  I just don't see the Red Sox turning things around for the remainder of the season.  After their two recent losses to the Twins I just don't see them improving in the standings.  The competition just gets tougher on Monday. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

Anything is possible of course so I personally never eliminate a team as long as the so-called magic number is still in play.  That being said I would think that it would be highly unlikely that the Red Sox could catch the Yankees and win a rare division championship.  They have clearly not had much success in that regard since the advent of the wildcard even when they had teams which were much better all around than the one they have featured this year. 

Over their last 162 games, the Red Sox record is 77 wins and 85 losses.  That goes back to early August of last year.  If that's not a long term trend, I do not know what is.  They continue to feature a productive offense which is equally capable of scoring runs in bunches and all but disappearing more often than one would hope.  Their overall pitching staff is currently 10th in the AL (4.29 ERA) and trails Oakland (3.43 ERA), the Rays (3.49 ERA), Yankees (3.78 ERA), Tigers (4.00 ERA) and Orioles (4.23 ERA).  Starting pitchers (4.87 ERA) rank 
    11th overall and once again trail every team that is currently ahead of them in the wildcard standings.  The bullpen (3.20) is the strength of the pitching staff, however, it is still not quite as good as that of the Rays (3.17) and only slightly ahead of the Orioles (3.22) and Yankees 3.25.  These stats were gathered prior to the current series so they may have changed slightly.  

At the end of the day, the Boston Red Sox are a .500 team that will occasionally look a little better and occasionally look a little worse.  The fact that the unknown youngster, Felix Dubrount, is clearly the team's most consistently effective starter as of today and his numbers quite frankly are not all that impressive and becoming less so with each outing, speaks volumes about the potential for a transformation and teams that have long term losing records at home never make it to the postseason.  That's the basis for consistent 7 and 3 10 game splits, the Sox have had very few of those and seem to be very comfortable in the land of 5 and 5.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic? : I hope that you really didn't bet too much.  I just don't see the Red Sox turning things around for the remainder of the season.  After their two recent losses to the Twins I just don't see them improving in the standings.  The competition just gets tougher on Monday. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I did Susan. I really believed a Sox/Yanks ALCS was happening again for the first time since 2004. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? Do you agree? Where do you stand with 2 months to go? Optimistic?:
    [QUOTE]Can the Sox catch the Yankees? Why not? About a week ago the Sox were 11 1/2 games behind the Yankees-this morning they are 7 1/2 games behind. And don't look now, but the Yankees have lost 9 of their last 12. And we all know after following baseball for years, that anything is possible. Ben didn’t do much to help the team. So fine. As Belichick says, “it is what it is”. So for the next two months I can malign this team or I can think of the possibility that maybe, just maybe this team can win the AL East, and then who knows how far this team can go. I plan to do the latter. I’m not worried about the offense. So can the pitching staff get us to the promised land? Let’s start with the bullpen. Reinforcements are on their way. Bailey are Bard are returning. Ben added an effective left handed pitcher, Craig Breslow, to go along with Andrew Miller who has been successful in his role. Bailey can move back to the closer’s role; Aceves will move into the set-up spot where he was highly effective last year. And Bobby also has Padilla to go to in the late innings. In addition, Tazawa has also turned out to be a formidable middle inning weapon. As far as the starting totation is concerned, with the addition of Breslow, Bobby can add Franklin Morales into the starter's role. Buchholtz has looked like a top of the rotation caliber pitcher in his latest starts. And Felix Doubront has pitched effectively this season and will continue to improve. And I believe Lester will straighten himself out and start looking like the Lester of old. So in conclusion, I'm not conceding anything. I believe in September the Sox will be involved in an exciting playoff race. And just maybe we will be seeing playoff baseball this year at Fenway Park. Go Sox!
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]