Can the Yankees get better this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Everyone knows that the Yanks plan to get under 189 million in the next few years. This greatly limits them in terms making moves at the trade deadline. The are getting a Arod and Jeter back probably in August after the deadline, but who knows what they are going to bring. So even with those two coming back they still need help at catcher, first base, DH, and a right handed OFer. Not to mention all of their starting pitchers have ERA over 4 besides Kuroda who has only 7 win in 16 starts with a 2.77.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Can the Yankees get better this year?

The lineup they are putting on the field these days is so decimated, it resembles the Red Sox after the trade last year.  Their pitching is still decent.

But no, I don't think they're going to get better this year, even when Jeter and Granderson are finally back.  Those two will take a while to get their games back.

The Yankees seem to have very little MLB ready talent in their farm system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The lineup they are putting on the field these days is so decimated, it resembles the Red Sox after the trade last year.  Their pitching is still decent.

But no, I don't think they're going to get better this year, even when Jeter and Granderson are finally back.  Those two will take a while to get their games back.

Pitching they do Bob. The better position players at A and AA. Although J.R. Murphy a catching prospect who has a history of having a decent bat was recently promoted to AAA a few weeks back. And Pineda has been impressive in his come back.

But the current lineup is full of holes, never and has beens.

And as I pointed out a few months back the difference between the current owners and the past is that GS would have remained active in the free agent market, outbid the A's for players like Cespedes or the Dodgers for Puig. George thought if you spent everything else would follow, winning, attendence, sponsorship, viewership etc. And who could argue with him?

He would have offered them the most and been unapologetic about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Pitching they do Bob. The better position players at A and AA. Although J.R. Murphy a catching prospect who has a history of having a decent bat was recently promoted to AAA a few weeks back. And Pineda has been impressive in his come back.

And as I pointed out a few months back the difference between the current owners and the past is that GS would have remained active in the free agent market, outbid the A's for players like Cespedes or the Dodgers for Puig. George thought if you spent everything else would follow, winning, attendence, sponsorship, viewership etc. And who could argue with him?

I never liked him, but he was a good owner.  It was said even 10 years ago that H&H had little interest in the NYY other than its investment value.  

I've mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating.  People in TB were standing in line the first day that spring training tickets went on sale.  It started raining.  He told one of the people in his office to get an umbrella for everyone in line.

So now the fans not only come home with their tickets, and reasonably dry, they come home with a really cool story.  Do you think those fans will come back next year?  And he did the same on several opening days when it rained or snowed.  They would announce that everyone could trade in their ticket for another game.  It usually a Wednesday night game against KC, but he understand those games never sold out, that they'd clear more from concessions than from the ticket price, and generates a lot of goodwill.

And obviously hindsight is 20/20, but imagine the team with even a few of the Cubans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees have pitched well so far.  But their hitting has been horrible.  Even if Jeter, Granderson and A-Rod come back, I doubt it would give the line-up a huge boost. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I never liked him, but he was a good owner.  It was said even 10 years ago that H&H had little interest in the NYY other than its investment value.  

I've mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating.  People in TB were standing in line the first day that spring training tickets went on sale.  It started raining.  He told one of the people in his office to get an umbrella for everyone in line.

So now the fans not only come home with their tickets, and reasonably dry, they come home with a really cool story.  Do you think those fans will come back next year?  And he did the same on several opening days when it rained or snowed.  They would announce that everyone could trade in their ticket for another game.  It usually a Wednesday night game against KC, but he understand those games never sold out, that they'd clear more from concessions than from the ticket price, and generates a lot of goodwill.

And obviously hindsight is 20/20, but imagine the team with even a few of the Cubans.

Joe I could totally accept and understand why opposing fans like you and countless others had a dislike for GS but as a fan of a team you could not ask for better ownership.

I looked at his ownership in totality considering both the good and bad. There were a lot of things he did that I opposed, and others that I scratched my head in bewilderment.

But I would tell my young nephews who grew up in the 90s watching the dynasty teams to enjoy it because it was temporary that once GS was gone it would be too.

It looks now like neither of his boys have the same penchant for winning that the old man did.

I don't bemoan not resigning players like Swisher or Martin, those guys went to the plate with one purpose,  looking for a pitch pull over the fence every time, besides Swisher was a hotdog in RF. The homeruns were nice but in the post season when you face good pitching everyday those guys were exposed.

What I do miss is bringing in the good foreign free agents like Godzilla and El Duque, GS would take his losses like Hideki Irabu or El Caballo and still get right back into the bidding when the next attractive FA was available. This is the big difference in the ownership that I see.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

IRT the OP, I do not believe they can better without discarding with the $189M.  They only have two AS's and one is a FA and one is retiring.

Some will have a fit, but it is time to clean house.  The middle path of $189M is seemingly impossible.  

Assuming they re-sign Can for say $22M, they have about $100M committed to Tex, Cano, ARod, Jeter, Wells, Ichiro, and Gardner.  

Assuming no addition at catcher and DH, that's an average offense at best.  The rotation is CC, Pineda, Phelps, Nova?  So if you re-sign Kuroda and Pettitte, your rotation is up to $55M.

So you're up to $155M without a closer, the rest of the BP, and the bench.

They'll be okay at $189M, but that's about it, imho.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

IRT the OP, I do not believe they can better without discarding with the $189M.  They only have two AS's and one is a FA and one is retiring.

Some will have a fit, but it is time to clean house.  The middle path of $189M is seemingly impossible.  

Assuming they re-sign Can for say $22M, they have about $100M committed to Tex, Cano, ARod, Jeter, Wells, Ichiro, and Gardner.  

Assuming no addition at catcher and DH, that's an average offense at best.  The rotation is CC, Pineda, Phelps, Nova?  So if you re-sign Kuroda and Pettitte, your rotation is up to $55M.

The Yankees this season are where the Sox were last season prior to the trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Photo: Click LIKE and SHARE if you agree... and make sure to catch the game tonight at 7:10 PM ET.. BoSox vs. Tampa Bay Rays!

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The Yankees this season are where the Sox were last season prior to the trade.

There are probably few better analogies in the history of sports.  They are almost identical to the pre-dump RS.  Beckett=ARod as players you just need/want to get rid of, even if you have to pay.  CC=Tex as players that have value, but just not* worth their salaries.  Nothing much wrong but too much salaries.  The other CC=Gonzo.  Nice players, happy with the salaries, probably peaking or slightly past peak on their performances, but are probably at the best point for their selling value.  You could keep either one, if you had WS hopes, and a reasonable salary structure.  But neither the RS last year, or the NYY, have a sustainable salary structure.

And both teams are a little like Miami and its dump.  Miami would be lucky to be .500 had they kept everyone, and with an unsustainable salary structure.  They will likely return to .500 in 2015, with a far lower salary.

* edited

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Photo: Click LIKE and SHARE if you agree... and make sure to catch the game tonight at 7:10 PM ET.. BoSox vs. Tampa Bay Rays!

But you fall in love with a team in defeat        

Beni would be so proud....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

But you fall in love with a team in defeat

Nice to have a past.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

not 2 B a jerk BosoxJoe5

but I think you mean

will the Yankees get better this year?

hard to imagine they won't

just granderson & a 1/2 of jeter would improve the offense

with the empty seats multiplying

it's also hard to imagine they don't make some kind of move next month

maybe a better question is can the sox improve / maintain

I'm thinking at the present moment

they have the shortest list of underachievers in the ALE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Everyone knows that the Yanks plan to get under 189 million in the next few years. This greatly limits them in terms making moves at the trade deadline. The are getting a Arod and Jeter back probably in August after the deadline, but who knows what they are going to bring. So even with those two coming back they still need help at catcher, first base, DH, and a right handed OFer. Not to mention all of their starting pitchers have ERA over 4 besides Kuroda who has only 7 win in 16 starts with a 2.77.

So what !.....Do you think that yankee fans wake up in the morning and wonder if Sox will get better? Not being a YANKEE FAN ,I could care less if they were sent to AAA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

not 2 B a jerk BosoxJoe5

but I think you mean

Yeah those two will help you a lot.

George would do something for sure.

I dunno about that...Middlebrooks, Ross, Napoli, Drew, Lester and Bailey have all underachieved and Ellsbury has hit for little power, Victorino has only played about 50 games...the only players who have really overachieved is Nava....who has been coming back to earth...Iglesias...who is also slowly heading to .300 territory and Buchholz who is disabled.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

No

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I doubt it

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

And to think, Smiley kept knocking them in spite of their success, and now that they may be on the verge of a collapse, he is not here to celebrate their demise.  Maybe Jessie-Eric was right.  Smiley was their good luck charm.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

not 2 B a jerk BosoxJoe5

but I think you mean

I dunno about that...Middlebrooks, Ross, Napoli, Drew, Lester and Bailey have all underachieved and Ellsbury has hit for little power, Victorino has only played about 50 games...the only players who have really overachieved is Nava....who has been coming back to earth...Iglesias...who is also slowly heading to .300 territory and Buchholz who is disabled.

point taken kman

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

No

short, sweet & ridiculous

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

not 2 B a jerk BosoxJoe5

but I think you mean

point taken kman

Regardless of where the Yanks end up this season they really need to lose salaries like Pettite, Tex, Granderson, Wells, AWOL and possibly even Jeter and begin rebuilding around Cano ASAP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

No. 

short, sweet,ridiculous & boring ;-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think the question should be can they get better. Of course they can. Any team can. The question should be can they improve enough to be a serious contender. My guess is unless they can have a serious offensive turnaround, I dont think so.

It might be time for them to see if they can acquire some decent prospects, depending on where they are at the deadline. 5.5 games back right now. They have a couple pieces they could move for a decent return. We'll see soon enough...

Sections
Shortcuts