Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade?

I'm hearing all these reports that Ben's still interested in acquiring everyday SS.  Obviously eh doesn't think Iggy's ready and Aviles/Punto combo will work for him. 

Do you guys think we can get Cabrera in a deal with Indians?  His defense in 2011 was crazy watching all those "top 10 plays of the week" in sportscenter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade?

In Response to Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade?:
    I'm hearing all these reports that Ben's still interested in acquiring everyday SS.  Obviously eh doesn't think Iggy's ready and Aviles/Punto combo will work for him.  Do you guys think we can get Cabrera in a deal with Indians?  His defense in 2011 was crazy watching all those "top 10 plays of the week" in sportscenter.
    Posted by seannybboi

I doubt the Indians, who hope to contend in 2012, will trade away their 26-year-old All Star shortstop (who has submitted a salary of $5.2 million in arbitration while Cleveland submitted a $3.75 million figure).

On the other hand, Cleveland's top prospect is 18-year-old switch-hitting shortstop Francisco Lindor:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612805.html

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/4/2681058/cleveland-indians-top-20-prospects-for-2012

Note Cabrera's last-place ranking in the UZR defensive stats:

http://www.fangraphs.com/

... and his finish in the Fielding Bible voting:

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Who cares about stupid UZR? Did you see this guy in the field, night after night, making miraculous plays.
    Why would the Indians trade their best player?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade?:
    Who cares about stupid UZR? Did you see this guy in the field, night after night, making miraculous plays. Why would the Indians trade their best player?
    Posted by GhostofTito

I suspect that many of the 10 members of the Fielding Bible panel saw as much of Asdrubal Cabrera as you did ... that's why I supplemented the UZR ranking with the Fielding Bible voting.

BTW, the UZR rankings are based on observations of every play, not just what appears on SportsCenter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Who cares about stupid UZR? Did you see this guy in the field, night after night, making miraculous plays. Why would the Indians trade their best player?
    Posted by GhostofTito

Cabrera's the Indian's best player? I can't agree with you on that.  He maybe was the best player in 2011 season alone.  Cabrera didn't have fulltime job until 2011.  Teams' best players usually get the job earlier I think. 

Why would they trade him?  My answer is they might not.  Cabrera filed more than $5MM for arb where team thought Cabrera was worth little more than $3MM.  Indian's not a big market team and if they foresee Cabrera's value goes up, they might trade him for prospects since they have top SS prospect waiting. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In fantasy baseball only...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by GhostofTito

Cabrera is not the Indians best player, but he is their only right-handed hitter...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Cabrera is not the Indians best player, but he is their only right-handed hitter..."

Actually, he's a switch hitter. 

And for you guys who dismiss him as the Indians best player, who do you think is better on that team??

I would say it would be him or Carlos Santana.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Cabrera is not the Indians best player, but he is their only right-handed hitter..."   Actually, he's a switch hitter.  And for you guys who dismiss him as the Indians best player, who do you think is better on that team?? I would say it would be him or Carlos Santana.
    Posted by siestafiesta

Despite an awful 2011, Shin Soo Choo is a much, much better player than either of them...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Cabrera plays shortstop. The most important position on the field.
    Choo plays OF. Are you serious?
    Maybe you can argue for Santana, as a power hitting catcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade? : I suspect that many of the 10 members of the Fielding Bible panel saw as much of Asdrubal Cabrera as you did ... that's why I supplemented the UZR ranking with the Fielding Bible voting. BTW, the UZR rankings are based on observations of every play, not just what appears on SportsCenter .
    Posted by hill55

He was ranked 13th by the FB in 2011.  15th in 2010.  16th in 2009.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Cabrera plays shortstop. The most important position on the field. Choo plays OF. Are you serious? Maybe you can argue for Santana, as a power hitting catcher.
    Posted by GhostofTito

Is that the argument you want to go with, that he plays shortstop?

Well, ok then.  By your logic, Yuniesky Betancourt is a better player than Ryan Braun.  After all, which one was the shortstop?

And Cabrera plays shortstop poorly.  Have you ever seen him in a game or are you limited to SportsCenter highlights?  People who judge fielding by WebGems offer $55mill deals to Garry Matthews.

And Choo is not just an OF.  He is an outfielder who is on base all the time, is good for 20/20 seasons, plays nearly flawless defense, and has one of if not the strongest and most accurate throwing arms among all MLB outfielders.

Choo is an extremely good player with that bat and glove and one of the best all around outfielders in the game, despite getting almost no credit.  Cabrera is a second baseman playing out of position who has no range and a weak arm for a shortstop, and if you saw him play enough you would know that...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade? : Despite an awful 2011, Shin Soo Choo is a much, much better player than either of them...
    Posted by notin

The Indians sent Eduardo Perez and Ben Broussard to the Mariners for Asdrubal Cabrera and Shin-Soo Choo in separate trades 26 days apart in the summer of 2006.

After the trades, the 36-year-old Perez posted a WAR* of a negative 0.7 the rest of his career while  Broussard posted a WAR of a negative 2.0 before retiring. Cabrera has posted 12.0 WAR and Choo 18.6 WAR.

Former Seattle GM Bill Bavasi was absolutely brutal. Later that same year Bavasi traded Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramirez. Since the trade, Soriano has posted 6.7 WAR while Ramirez has posted a negative 2.1 WAR.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So why the swtch to B-R for your WAR?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade? : The Indians sent Eduardo Perez and Ben Broussard to the Mariners for Asdrubal Cabrera and Shin-Soo Choo in separate trades 26 days apart in the summer of 2006. After the trades, the 36-year-old Perez posted a WAR* of a negative 0.7 the rest of his career while  Broussard posted a WAR of a negative 2.0 before retiring. Cabrera has posted 12.0 WAR and Choo 18.6 WAR. Former Seattle GM Bill Bavasi was absolutely brutal. Later that same year Bavasi traded Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramirez. Since the trade, Soriano has posted 6.7 WAR while Ramirez has posted a negative 2.1 WAR. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference
    Posted by hill55

I remember some of the Bavasi moves.  The Atl GM should've been arrested.  Horacio was terrible.  His Whip the two previous years was > 1.425 with one of the worst K/W ratios in BB at 1.19.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Well, when your scouting department is being headed up by Squiggy, what do you expect?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

So why the swtch to B-R for your WAR?
    Posted by notin

FanGraphs does not separate out the per-team WAR for a player -- such as Shin-Soo Choo, Eduardo Perez or Ben Broussard -- who plays for two or more teams in one year.

I still prefer FanGraphs for most citations.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Well, when your scouting department is being headed up by Squiggy, what do you expect?
    Posted by notin

Seattle's international scouting -- as evidenced by Asdrubal Cabrera, Shin-Soo Choo, Rafael Soriano, Felix Hernandez, Ichiro, Michael Pineda, David Ortiz and Omar Vizquel -- has always been superb, but Bill Bavasi's poor drafts and even poorer trades have handicapped the club.

The future looks brighter with current GM Jack Zduriencik, who has executed some good trades and who continues to enhance his reputation as an adept draft evaluator. As Milwaukee's director of scouting, Zduriencik helped draft eventual All Stars Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, J.J. Hardy, Corey Hart and Yovani Gallardo (plus likely future All Star Brett Lawrie).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade? : The Indians sent Eduardo Perez and Ben Broussard to the Mariners for Asdrubal Cabrera and Shin-Soo Choo in separate trades 26 days apart in the summer of 2006. After the trades, the 36-year-old Perez posted a WAR* of a negative 0.7 the rest of his career while  Broussard posted a WAR of a negative 2.0 before retiring. Cabrera has posted 12.0 WAR and Choo 18.6 WAR. Former Seattle GM Bill Bavasi was absolutely brutal. Later that same year Bavasi traded Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramirez. Since the trade, Soriano has posted 6.7 WAR while Ramirez has posted a negative 2.1 WAR. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference
    Posted by hill55

Wasn't  Bavasi also behind the trades that sent out Carlos Guillen for Ramon Santiago and Matt Thornton for the forgettable Joe Borchard?  Yes, he was a great GM for a lot of teamsnot named the Mariners.

Also, I think as a rule, the Mariners should avoid trading with the Indians.

The Choo and Cabrera deals were bad enough, but lets not forget the Omar Vizquel for Felix Fermin trade.  I'm not even going to look up the WAR differential on that one...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade? : Wasn't  Bavasi also behind the trades that sent out Carlos Guillen for Ramon Santiago and Matt Thornton for the forgettable Joe Borchard?  Yes, he was a great GM for a lot of teamsnot named the Mariners. Also, I think as a rule, the Mariners should avoid trading with the Indians. The Choo and Cabrera deals were bad enough, but lets not forget the Omar Vizquel for Felix Fermin trade.  I'm not even going to look up the WAR differential on that one...
    Posted by notin

Hey, quit piling on!Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade?:
    I'm hearing all these reports that Ben's still interested in acquiring everyday SS.  Obviously eh doesn't think Iggy's ready and Aviles/Punto combo will work for him.  Do you guys think we can get Cabrera in a deal with Indians?  His defense in 2011 was crazy watching all those "top 10 plays of the week" in sportscenter.
    Posted by seannybboi

Absolutely we deserve all the great players. Maybe Jeter can be signed as the back-up, and perhaps ad Hanley Ramirez as the back-up to the back-up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

That'd be sweet, but I don't think it will happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Can we get Asdrubal Cabrera in a trade? : Hey, quit piling on!
    Posted by hill55

I'm still waiting for a response to that Squiggy comment.   He was one of Bavasi's guys, right?

Sections
Shortcuts