Can We Please Trade for Papelbon!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Re: Can We Please Trade for Papelbon!?

Why?  So he can blow another critical save for the Sox?  No thanks.  That clown blew our last chance at the 2011 playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Do you guys have a problem with Ue???? I would be very happy with Breslow or Wilson or Miller or Taz  closing on the days Ue needs a day off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What if the Phillies were primarily interested in unloading his salary and were willing to accept a middling prospect?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

DaffyDan  '' Are we rebuilding or  trying to win it all? ''

S5  '' This is a really good question, and one the FO is going to have to ask themselves very soon''

Hfxsoxnut  '' What if the Phillies were primarily interested in unloading his salary and were willing to accept a middling prospect?

another good question

hard to say yes or no not knowing the deal

my question is

why do so many focus so much on the fact that the older player

isn't as good as he once was

rather than how he compares to the alternatives

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Koji is not a closer - i said this before he was chosen when a switch had to be made....I guess that makes me a better judge of pitchers than our manager...seriously though a 37 yr old guy who tops out at 89....what could go wrong? 

As always - 100% correct!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I might be slightly off , but just off the top of my head without checking , I think that between Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara , we have 15 saves and 10 blown saves. Does anyone actually believe that Papelbon would not have done considerably better than that ?  

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

koji is only a temporary closer, no way does he last for the long haul and he had a pretty terrible outing last night. the guy we should go after is glen perkins, not paps. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Would not be at all surprised to see Bailey back in the role after the ASB.  He looks like he's starting to come around.  Last 3 outings have been very good (3 1/3 IP, 2H, 1R, 6Ks) with only the homer allowed to Encarnacion (not exactly a unique thing for the Blue Jay).  More to the point, he's just looked better on the mound.

I said Saturday night I would have left him in for the 9th.  He had gotten 5 outs on 17 pitches with only the ground ball single to Pujols allowed.  It would have been a low stress save situation for him; the stress situation was when he entered in the 7th, 1st and 3rd, 1 out and Trout at the plate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

If, as has been suggested, Phillies are looking to unload salary and may accept a middling prospect, I'd be all for bringing back Paps.  Even though he has been know to blow a save or two ( or four), he is a closer who can do the job better than our revolving door closers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

1. Papelbon is the best closer in Red Sox history. No one else is close.

2. The Sox should have put up more of a fight to keeep him.

3. This ship has sailed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

1. Papelbon is the best closer in Red Sox history. No one else is close.

2. The Sox should have put up more of a fight to keeep him.

3. This ship has sailed.

True on all three counts. If the Sox did not want to pay him before, why would they pick up his contract now and give up prospects to boot?  I would like to have him back, but it is too late now. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Fantastic question?...my very HO is simple, let us win NOW... We are at  this point in a position to demand a winner this year, better than be contender in 2015... My needs, two hitters that produce runs, a solid reliever and a healthy all the way strong arm experienced starter and a established third baseman with Iglesias at short forever...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Fantastic question?...my very HO is simple, let us win NOW... We are at  this point in a position to demand a winner this year, better than be contender in 2015... My needs, two hitters that produce runs, a solid reliever and a healthy all the way strong arm experienced starter and a established third baseman with Iglesias at short forever...

specifics?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

From what I'm reading the Sox are going to go all out for that kid Gonzalez, they'll want to save that money. Cherrington has already Scouted him.
    I still think Ruby in Pawtucket will soon be this teams future closer.
    Detroit almost has to make this trade at this point.

What "Gonzalez" kid are you referring to?  What have you read?  Is this an international prospect you are speaking of?  Elaborate please....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

DaffyDan  '' Are we rebuilding or  trying to win it all? ''

S5  '' This is a really good question, and one the FO is going to have to ask themselves very soon''

Hfxsoxnut  '' What if the Phillies were primarily interested in unloading his salary and were willing to accept a middling prospect?

another good question

hard to say yes or no not knowing the deal

my question is

why do so many focus so much on the fact that the older player

isn't as good as he once was

rather than how he compares to the alternatives

Prepping yourself for life after Mariano,  Zac?  Wink