Can Xander Bogaerts play ss at the mlb level?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Can Xander Bogaerts play ss at the mlb level?

I have never seen him play but I have read up on him. The scouting report about him says he will be better suited to play 3b. If that is correct, that means Middlebrooks will most likely move over to 1b, correct? Or can Bogaerts play ss at the mlb level meaing Iggy could be used as trade bait. Does anyone think or know if this kid can play ss or is he better suited for 3b. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Can Xander Bogaerts play ss at the mlb level?

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have never seen him play but I have read up on him. The scouting report about him says he will be better suited to play 3b. If that is correct, that means Middlebrooks will most likely move over to 1b, correct? Or can Bogaerts play ss at the mlb level meaing Iggy could be used as trade bait. Does anyone think or know if this kid can play ss or is he better suited for 3b. 

[/QUOTE]

To be determined, but he'll go into Spring Training as a SS. Left field is more likely option if he doesn't progress defensively at SS.  He wants to play short and he's got the work ethic to make it happen....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To be determined, but he'll go into Spring Training as a SS. Left field is more likely option if he doesn't progress defensively at SS.  He wants to play short and he's got the work ethic to make it happen....

[/QUOTE]

but with 1st base open we could move middlebrooks over there and let Xander play 3rd.. but i don't think xander is in the cards for 2013 so this is a non-issue at the moment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but with 1st base open we could move middlebrooks over there and let Xander play 3rd.. but i don't think xander is in the cards for 2013 so this is a non-issue at the moment.

[/QUOTE]

They aren't going to move 2 infielders to new positions at the ML level, especially when one position is 1st base. Defense is too important there.  That has disaster written all over it.  If Xander fails at SS, and Im not betting against him, he'll likely go to left.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They aren't going to move 2 infielders to new positions at the ML level, especially when one position is 1st base. Defense is too important there.  That has disaster written all over it.  If Xander fails at SS, and Im not betting against him, he'll likely go to left.  

[/QUOTE]

isn't xanders natural position 3rd??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's been playing SS since the Sox signed him at 16. And I'd give him a shot next year. Tony C was playing in Boston at 19.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't played anything else but SS since he's been in the Sox organization, and they drafted him at 16, so....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I've only seen him play once --Portland-AA-the last game of 2012. He handled all but one ball hit to him very cleanly. I think he can play SS and will handle himself well--I think he would make an excellent leftfielder--with a strong SS arm--he could be super. 

He will hit no matter where he plays--my guess playing LF would take the pressure off from having to play SS. If they play him all ST in LF and perhaps send him to Ft.Myers to work with an OF instructor before ST, he could be ready in April.

The kid will be very exciting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He committed an alarming number of errors. Not having seen him play , I don't know if they were mostly fielding or throwing.   But I personally would consider moving him to left , and keeping Iglesias at short.  Can never underestimate the importance of a great defensive shortstop.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He committed an alarming number of errors. Not having seen him play , I don't know if they were mostly fielding or throwing.   But I personally would consider moving him to left , and keeping Iglesias at short.  Can never underestimate the importance of a great defensive shortstop.

[/QUOTE]

It's tough to get caught up in error counts in the minors.  Some bad fields and other circumstances to consider.  He has an excellent make up and work ethic, his fielding has definitely gotten better and he wants to play SS. He's not switching positions any time soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's been playing SS since the Sox signed him at 16. And I'd give him a shot next year. Tony C was playing in Boston at 19.

[/QUOTE]

ownership has been very slow to bring guys up though. i mean, the only reason middlebrooks came up when he did was because youk got hurt. if youk did not middlebrooks could have hit 50 HRs in the minors and i doubt he would have seen playing time

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think it might be premature to begin shuffling him around defensively to get his bat in the Sox line-up.  Looks like Xander is going to be a fantastic major leaguer.  But, there is big step between mashing as a Sea Dog and mashing as a Red Stocking.  Sure, he could have a monster camp and give the club no shot but to get him on the major league roster.  But, more than likely, he will be in Pawtucket for 2013, with the cup o' coffee or 2 to get him primed.  So, if he is at Pawtucket, might as well give him a little more time to cultivate his shortstop play.  If he improves, boom, the answer.  If not, then he can go to Arizona or wherever and make the transtion to left or thrid or wherever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it might be premature to begin shuffling him around defensively to get his bat in the Sox line-up.  Looks like Xander is going to be a fantastic major leaguer.  But, there is big step between mashing as a Sea Dog and mashing as a Red Stocking.  Sure, he could have a monster camp and give the club no shot but to get him on the major league roster.

He'll be doing the "Monster Mash" then.  Or possibly, "The Green Monstah Mash".

But, more than likely, he will be in Pawtucket for 2013, with the cup o' coffee or 2 to get him primed.  So, if he is at Pawtucket, might as well give him a little more time to cultivate his shortstop play.  If he improves, boom, the answer.  If not, then he can go to Arizona or wherever and make the transtion to left or thrid or wherever.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

so much for Iggymania...

Bogaertsapalooza in 2013?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

so much for Iggymania...

Bogaertsapalooza in 2013?

[/QUOTE]

It's not an either/or proposition.  It's called surplus.  I would love to see a Red Sox team have more "problems" like this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He will start the year back in Portland with a likely call up to AAA. Possibly a sept call up to Boston. Hes still a little stiff defensively, errors aside. But he improved from 2011.

My guess, with his body type, that LF in Fenway would be the best fit for him if he doesnt stick at SS. Power bat, big body type (once he fills out) hes got 6'4 and 220 written all over him by the time hes 24...I could be wrong, but Ive also heard that projection from more than one person.

If Iggy can hit 220+ and an OBP north of 300, hes my SS with that defense saving 40 runs a year.