Can you feel it ??? With BRADLEY & IGGY, it will be 1967 ........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Can you feel it ??? With BRADLEY & IGGY, it will be 1967 ........

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

All over again..........What say you, all you smart T-BALLERS ???

I was in attendance on opening day, 1967, complimentary tickets thanks to George Scott, and without going into details on the personalities of the 1967 players and the new manager, I can assure you that even the presence of Bradley & Iggy in this year's opening day lineup will in no way authenticate a comparison of this year's team on opening day with that of the 1967 bunch.

But, let's just hope that come late August, early September, we can revisit this topic and discuss some similarities, albeit comparisons if you will. 

Oh my, the mention of that team brings back somewhat faded but such grand memories of the team that I so love.  And, I need not list them, but the names of the players on that team keep scrolling through my mind as I sit here and bask in the memories of that glorious summer.

As Shaughnessy has pointed out, the most important RS team of the last 60 yrs (including the 2004 team), since it started their rise to respectability. 

However, Bill would say this even if the team was constituted with 100 loss talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Like I posted earlier on this thread. This team might be more like the 1975 team in composition.

LF: Rice-Bradley

CF: Lynn-Ellsbury (difference in experience but Ellsbury is supposedly the hotshot CF).

RF/3B: Evans/Rico - Victorino Middlebrooks. I combined here because between the two positions, you have an aging veteran trying to hang on and the young, rising star.

1B: Yaz-Napoli. The aging veteran battling injuries (Yaz was battling an injury all season, which accounted for his numbers being down from 1974) playing his second-best position.

SS/2B: Burleson/Griffin - Iggy/Pedroia. Various attributes are nearly the same in both combinations but in different ways. Burleson close to Pedroia, the young, good-fielding middle infielder who bats high in the order. Pedey is a bit older than Rooster was in 1975 and has more power, but the comparison sort of works. Griffin is more of a veteran, but like Iggy is a slick-fielding middle infielder (Griffin was a former Gold Glove winner) with a weak bat. And if Iggy starts the season, he could end up being replaced with a veteran (Drew?) with a better bat (Denny Doyle replaced Griffin).

C: Salty-Fisk. Both 27-year-old power-hitting catchers. Salty, of course, isn't Fisk, but Fisk didn't play the whole season because he was coming back from the knee injury. Both are backed by veterans -- Monty-Ross.

P Lackey-Tiant: Both 30-something pitchers who were one-time aces. Tiant of course was the No. 1 pitcher but he had a higher ERA (4.02) than Lee and Wise. Lackey like Tiant did earlier with the Sox is coming back from an injury. Maybe he has similar success?

P Lester/Buchholz - Wise/Lee: Their ages are similar and Wise and Lee had the lowest ERAs among the top starters, which is what the Sox hope to get from Lester and Buchholz.

As a loose comparison, 1975 sort of works pretty good.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Great between Bill and Roy I now am confident we loose the WS 4-3.

After last year, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

The funny thing is -- on paper, if you look at how players actually did in 1975 and assuming Bradley is the real deal, the Sox compare very well stasticially to '75 -- if Ellsbury produces close to 2011.

Remember in 1975, Yaz was just 14 HR, 60 RBI, .269 BA. Napoli should do better. Pedey should be better than Burleson (comparing the better middle infielder hitters). By position, Pedey is better than Griffin/Doyle, although Burleson is better than whoever plays SS this year.

Middlebrooks definitely should better than Rico's 7-59-.239. Evans was just 13-56-.274, so it's not like Victorino has to match what Dewey did in the 1980s.

Gomes could end up being like Carbo, the super sub OF/DH. Carbo was 15-50-.257 in 107 games. Sounds like Jonny Gomes numbers (18-47-.262 in 99 games last year).

And if Ortiz just misses a couple of weeks, he should put up better numbers than Cooper (14-44-.311) at DH. 

And I don't expect Lackey to be as good as Tiant, but I do expect Lester and Buchholz to be better than Wise and Lee.

I've got to stop doing this because the 1975 team won 95 games, and I don't see this team as a 95-win team. The competition is much different. Still, it sort of makes you feel a bit better about this team.

Gee ... now I'm talking myself into the idea that the Sox will lose the W.S. 4-3. (LOL)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

iM SURE THAT roy1niner  will be happy to be mentioned at the same time with BILL-806  !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

iM SURE THAT roy1niner  will be happy to be mentioned at the same time with BILL-806  !!!!

you might be disappointed...