cano? caYES! chachinggggggggg.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

cano? caYES! chachinggggggggg.

The gap between second baseman Robinson Cano and the New York Yankees on a new contract is enormous, with sources telling ESPN's Buster Olney that the soon-to-be free agent is seeking approximately $305 million over 10 years.

People familiar with Cano's thinking have a sense that he will take the biggest offer he receives this winter, regardless of whether it comes from the Yankees or another team.

The $305 million represents the total value of Alex Rodriguez's record-setting deal if he achieves all of the built-in incentives.

Cano, the Yankees' best hitter and a five-time All-Star, told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com on Wednesday that he won't rush into anything, meaning the Yankees probably won't be able to take advantage of the exclusive negotiating window a club has with its free agents, which expires six days after the end of the World Series.

"If we don't make it to the playoffs, I want to take my time, go on vacation and relax," Cano said. "Then I want to sit down with my family and decide what we gonna do."

Cano, 30, a career .309 hitter who has averaged 28 home runs and 102 RBIs over the past five seasons, is expected to attract the most lucrative contract ever given to a second baseman. Currently, Ian Kinsler of the Texas Rangers is the highest-paid second baseman, having signed a five-year, $75 million contract before this season. Also this season, the Boston Red Sox gave second baseman Dustin Pedroia an extension that makes his total package worth $110 million over eight years.

"I haven't decided anything yet," said Cano, who leads the Yankees with 27 homers, 106 RBIs and a .315 batting average. "But don't get me wrong. I love this team, you know?"

Cano acknowledged that Thursday night's home finale against the Tampa Bay Rays could be his final game at Yankee Stadium, at least as a member of the home team.

"Oh, yeah, who knows? Who knows what's going to happen," he said. "I'm just enjoying being here, and I'm going to enjoy the last day, being here with all these guys. Nobody said I'm leaving; nobody said I'm staying. I haven't decided anything yet. Let's see what happens after the World Series."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: cano? caYES! chachinggggggggg.

My guess is that the Dodgers will sign Cano.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

not for that....nor will the Yanks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Looks like the NYY will be Cano-less.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Up s*** creek, without a Cano.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He will not get that much money.  

Look at A-Rod, Pujols, Hamilton, Wilson, etc

Yankees will be tooooooooo stupid to sign him.

More likely 7 years for 140 to 150 mm dollars!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Calling it now...  Angels!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

not for that....nor will the Yanks

For that money or anything like it the Yankees won't sign him. In fact, no one will. Those numbers are a pipe dream. The days of contracts like that are over both in terms of dollars AND years. Nothing would please me more than for the Yankees to break the bank and sign him for close to what he wants because it does nothing to improve the team. If I am Cashman I let him walk and use that money to sign several other players who will make my team better. No one is irreplaceable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Who is Cano's agent?  Boras?  It takes a pair of brass conkers to float that type of money when a guy like Pedroia just got a 1/3 of that.  I'd take Pedey any day.  The Yankees are imploding and one of their best players throws that ridiculous deal out there?  Wow.  Only a fool would pay that kind of money for a 30 y.o. 2nd baseman.  Then again, the Yanks paid A-Rod that ridiculous deal, bidding against themselves, when he opted out of his contract.  So never say never.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

He fired Boras and hired Jay-Z.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'll take a wild guess and say that Nolan Ryan just might be calling robbie!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

So he can put together the highest paid platoon of all time?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

After being burned by both Pujols and Hamilton I don't think Nolan Ryan is going to be calling anyone asking for money any time soon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Someone had to say it ...   :o) 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Is it me or that contract demand sort of paint him in a corner? Looks like a AL team only, to at least put at DH as he gets older. Always start high, it will drop, He'll never get this contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Someone had to say it ...   :o) 

Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

ownership recognizes the Yanks never have let a prime-aged homegrown player leave whom they wanted to keep. And if they do so with Cano, Hal Steinbrenner can expect more lambasting from his fan base that he is not his father. In addition, the Yanks could feel further sting at the box office and in TV/radio ratings.

The Yankees’ first offer to Cano was what the Mets gave David Wright (eight years, $138 million), but without the deferrals that Wright was given. They then came back with the seven-year, $160 million-plus proposal, and the Cano camp countered with its 10-year gambit. The Yanks informed the Cano camp the team would not go that far under any scenario.

But it is believed the Yanks would be willing to go north of the eight years at $180 million they gave Teixeira, so something in the eight-year, $185 million-$200 million range remains a possible settle point.

One wild card in this is Jay Z, who wrested Cano away from Scott Boras. This is Jay Z’s first baseball negotiation. He is teamed with a longtime agent Brodie Van Wagenen. But the baseball community has expressed wonder if Jay Z feels he has to make a major mark with this signing as a way to recruit more players to his burgeoning agency.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

I would love to see the Yankees meet these demands, but there is NO WAY.  The Yankees have a ton of holes to fill and reportedly want to stay below the $189 mil.  Cano wants to take his time and explore his options, which could really throw a wrench in the Yankee's offseason shopping if he signs late.  Should be interesting to watch unfold.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

The Major League Baseball Players Association is investigating whether Jay Z might have violated the union's agent regulations for giving Robinson Cano a $33,900 watch during a recent birthday party for the New York Yankees second baseman in Belgium, sources told ESPN.com.

According to media reports and postings on Cano's Instagram account, Cano received a limited-edition Shawn Carter Classic Fusion watch by Hublot during an Oct. 22 party in conjunction with his 31st birthday. Jay Z, who helped to design the watch, performed in concert in Antwerp, Belgium, the previous night as part of his "Magna Carta Tour.''

Cano, a five-time All-Star and the biggest name in this winter's free agent class, left Scott Boras' agency in April to sign on with Carter (aka Jay Z). The music industry superstar became certified to represent NBA and MLB players earlier this year and he and his Roc Nation sports group have a burgeoning roster of clients that includes Cano, Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant, WNBA star Skylar Diggins and NFL players Victor Cruz and Geno Smith. Ron Berkowitz, a spokesman for Jay Z, did not respond to an email or a text message Tuesday seeking comment.

Cano is represented dually by Creative Artists Agency, which will handle the bulk of his upcoming free agent negotiations, and Roc Nation. A baseball source confirmed to ESPN.com that Cano is seeking a 10-year, $310 million contract from the Yankees, who gave him a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer before baseball's Monday deadline.

Section 5(B)(5)(a) of the Players Association regulations states: "No Player Agent or Applicant shall provide, cause to be provided or promise to provide, any money or any other thing of value to any player, or any person related to or associated with such player, the purpose of which is to induce or encourage such player to use or continue to use any person's or firm's services as a Player Agent, Representative, or Draft Advisor.''

There is a clause allowing certain gifts if the player was already a client of the agent; however, any gift exceeding $500 must be disclosed to the union in writing. Players Association officials say the seven paragraphs of rules are meant to ensure that players choose their representatives on merit rather than what the union calls "improper inducements.''

Sources said that the Players Association has interviewed several of the principals and that Jay Z could be subject to unspecified discipline if he is found in violation.

Hublot, the Swiss luxury watch maker, plans to unveil 100 of the 18k yellow gold watches to the public on Nov. 20 at Barney's in New York.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

The Major League Baseball Players Association is investigating whether Jay Z might have violated the union's agent regulations for giving Robinson Cano a $33,900 watch during a recent birthday party for the New York Yankees second baseman in Belgium, sources told ESPN.com.

According to media reports and postings on Cano's Instagram account, Cano received a limited-edition Shawn Carter Classic Fusion watch by Hublot during an Oct. 22 party in conjunction with his 31st birthday. Jay Z, who helped to design the watch, performed in concert in Antwerp, Belgium, the previous night as part of his "Magna Carta Tour.''

Cano, a five-time All-Star and the biggest name in this winter's free agent class, left Scott Boras' agency in April to sign on with Carter (aka Jay Z). The music industry superstar became certified to represent NBA and MLB players earlier this year and he and his Roc Nation sports group have a burgeoning roster of clients that includes Cano, Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant, WNBA star Skylar Diggins and NFL players Victor Cruz and Geno Smith. Ron Berkowitz, a spokesman for Jay Z, did not respond to an email or a text message Tuesday seeking comment.

Cano is represented dually by Creative Artists Agency, which will handle the bulk of his upcoming free agent negotiations, and Roc Nation. A baseball source confirmed to ESPN.com that Cano is seeking a 10-year, $310 million contract from the Yankees, who gave him a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer before baseball's Monday deadline.

Section 5(B)(5)(a) of the Players Association regulations states: "No Player Agent or Applicant shall provide, cause to be provided or promise to provide, any money or any other thing of value to any player, or any person related to or associated with such player, the purpose of which is to induce or encourage such player to use or continue to use any person's or firm's services as a Player Agent, Representative, or Draft Advisor.''

There is a clause allowing certain gifts if the player was already a client of the agent; however, any gift exceeding $500 must be disclosed to the union in writing. Players Association officials say the seven paragraphs of rules are meant to ensure that players choose their representatives on merit rather than what the union calls "improper inducements.''

Sources said that the Players Association has interviewed several of the principals and that Jay Z could be subject to unspecified discipline if he is found in violation.

Hublot, the Swiss luxury watch maker, plans to unveil 100 of the 18k yellow gold watches to the public on Nov. 20 at Barney's in New York.

to me this is silly(not the baseball end), how is a b-day gift enticement to reps you're already signed with, they aren't wooing him anymore, record labels give gifts to their artists all the time(ie huge album sales and such) Rhianna's label gave her a Porsche for having a 2nd consectutive # 1 album...i'm not saying it's the same thing, i just don't see what the big deal is...it's not like he's about to come out of college, he's already a professional...not to mention he could fire him tomorrow if he chose to

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

perhaps not.

Dodgers really like Geurrero. 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/alexander-guerrero/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How many Brendan Ryans and Omar Infantes will it take to replace Cano's production?

You are quite possibly looking at a team that could very easily lose 100 games next year.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts