cano? caYES! chachinggggggggg.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Re: cano? caYES! chachinggggggggg.

Cano and A-Rod are putting the Yankees between a rock and a hard place.  They can't make a serious big-money move until they have an idea of whether A-Rod willl be back, and when, or if and for how much they'll get Cano.

Both guys are willing to wait it out.  A-Rod is ready to send the troops into MLB, and probably has the dough to do it.  And Cano, looking at $300 million, may take a while until he comes back down to earth.

By the time the Yankees see daylight, all the good bargains may be gone.

Go Yanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

"We want Robbie back; we think Robbie is terrific," Levine said Tuesday in a telephone conversation with ESPNNewYork.com. "But we have no interest in doing any 10-year deals and no interest in paying $300 million to any player. Until he gets a little more realistic, we have nothing to talk about.''

On Monday, ESPNNewYork.com reported that Cano's agents, Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA and hip-hip mogul Jay Z, were holding firm to their demand that Cano receive the richest contract in baseball history, surpassing the 10-year, $275 million deal -- with another potential $30 million in performance bonuses -- that the Yankees gave to Alex Rodriguez after he opted out of his existing contract following the 2007 season.

Levine's comments come on the heels of Jay Z meeting with New York Mets brass. The New York Post reported, and ESPN.com confirmed, that Jay Z met with chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, general manager Sandy Alderson and assistant GM John Ricco for dinner Monday night to discuss the free agent.

A source told ESPN.com that the Mets were surprised the meeting leaked to the media so fast and understand that their interest could be leveraged to drive up Cano's asking price.

Levine's response echoed the words of Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner, who said in October that the Yankees were "not prepared'' to sign Cano to a 10-year deal.

Cano's agents seek to market him as "the next Michael Jordan," according to a New York Daily News report, citing unnamed sources.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

The back and forth also is reminiscent of the 2010 contract negotiations with Derek Jeter, which turned ugly when a team official famously advised the Yankees captain to "drink the reality potion'' after his agents reportedly demanded a four-year deal worth between $23 million and $25 million a season.

Jeter eventually signed a three-year deal worth $51 million, and he recently was given a one-year deal that will pay him $12 million for the 2014 season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"We want Robbie back; we think Robbie is terrific," Levine said Tuesday in a telephone conversation with ESPNNewYork.com. "But we have no interest in doing any 10-year deals and no interest in paying $300 million to any player. Until he gets a little more realistic, we have nothing to talk about.''

On Monday, ESPNNewYork.com reported that Cano's agents, Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA and hip-hip mogul Jay Z, were holding firm to their demand that Cano receive the richest contract in baseball history, surpassing the 10-year, $275 million deal -- with another potential $30 million in performance bonuses -- that the Yankees gave to Alex Rodriguez after he opted out of his existing contract following the 2007 season.

Levine's comments come on the heels of Jay Z meeting with New York Mets brass. The New York Post reported, and ESPN.com confirmed, that Jay Z met with chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, general manager Sandy Alderson and assistant GM John Ricco for dinner Monday night to discuss the free agent....did they conference in Bernie Madoff ?? :-)

A source told ESPN.com that the Mets were surprised the meeting leaked to the media so fast and understand that their interest could be leveraged to drive up Cano's asking price.

Levine's response echoed the words of Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner, who said in October that the Yankees were "not prepared'' to sign Cano to a 10-year deal.

Cano's agents seek to market him as "the next Michael Jordan," according to a New York Daily News report, citing unnamed sources....LOL....get back to me when Robbie hits 10 hrs in a game(the equiv of MJ scoring 55 in his comeback) Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Levine's comments come on the heels of Jay Z meeting with New York Mets brass. The New York Post reported, and ESPN.com confirmed, that Jay Z met with chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, general manager Sandy Alderson and assistant GM John Ricco for dinner Monday night to discuss the free agent....did they conference in Bernie Madoff ?? :-)

Cano's agents seek to market him as "the next Michael Jordan," according to a New York Daily News report, citing unnamed sources....LOL....get back to me when Robbie hits 10 hrs in a game(the equiv of MJ scoring 55 in his comeback) Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

LOL.......don't hold your breath, jete

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees should just let Cano walk away and instead, sign Omar Infante or work out a trade for Brandon Phillips.  

The Yankees need quality starting pitchers.  Also, why not copy Boston's strategy last year by signing mid-level talent on shorter and cheaper contracts?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, why not copy Boston's strategy last year by signing mid-level talent on shorter and cheaper contracts?  

[/QUOTE]

remember all those empty seat$ behind homeplate at the new yankees stadium 2009 when the bubble first burst?  hal is scared of that.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

remember all those empty seat$ behind homeplate at the new yankees stadium 2009 when the bubble first burst?  hal is scared of that.....

maybe it's just me

but it sounds like a strange thing to say about a guy who constantly

talks about lowering the payroll by 40 mill this yr

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

maybe it's just me

but it sounds like a strange thing to say about a guy who constantly

talks about lowering the payroll by 40 mill this yr

[/QUOTE]

it was also leaked/speculated that the yankees would be willing to spend $300MM this offseason on contracts.  IMO...Hal will get in the ~190MM range if A-rod is suspended for the season.  if not, the lowering payroll talk is just smoke.

let me ask you this since they are your team - do you expect the NYY to sign Cano?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I expect the NYY and Cano to play chicken, with Cano eventually blinking for the most part. I may be wrong, of course.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

let me ask you this since they are your team - do you expect the NYY to sign Cano?

to many  variables like  tanaka, cano & arod

to have a good feel about  anything that will happen in yankeeland this winter

best I can tell you is that I would be surprised not shocked if they didn't sign him

2 yrs ago I would have been shocked

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

I agree with both steven & zac in the same thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

I agree with both steven & zac in the same thread.

OK, Slasher9..we can do this the easy way..or the hard way Tongue Out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Cano, sources said, asked for a nine-year deal at $28 million a year, with a vesting option for a 10th year at $29 million this past week. That deal, at $252 million, would match Alex Rodriguez's 2000 deal with the Texas Rangers in guaranteed value.

The Yankees, sources told Olney, upgraded their offer to the $170 million range, leaving a gap of about $80 million. According to published reports and information from sources who spoke to ESPNNewYork.com, the Yankees had previously offered Cano a seven-year deal worth approximately $160 million.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

The gap between second baseman Robinson Cano and the New York Yankees on a new contract is enormous, with sources telling ESPN's Buster Olney that the soon-to-be free agent is seeking approximately $305 million over 10 years.

People familiar with Cano's thinking have a sense that he will take the biggest offer he receives this winter, regardless of whether it comes from the Yankees or another team.

The $305 million represents the total value of Alex Rodriguez's record-setting deal if he achieves all of the built-in incentives.

Cano, the Yankees' best hitter and a five-time All-Star, told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com on Wednesday that he won't rush into anything, meaning the Yankees probably won't be able to take advantage of the exclusive negotiating window a club has with its free agents, which expires six days after the end of the World Series.

"If we don't make it to the playoffs, I want to take my time, go on vacation and relax," Cano said. "Then I want to sit down with my family and decide what we gonna do."

Cano, 30, a career .309 hitter who has averaged 28 home runs and 102 RBIs over the past five seasons, is expected to attract the most lucrative contract ever given to a second baseman. Currently, Ian Kinsler of the Texas Rangers is the highest-paid second baseman, having signed a five-year, $75 million contract before this season. Also this season, the Boston Red Sox gave second baseman Dustin Pedroia an extension that makes his total package worth $110 million over eight years.

"I haven't decided anything yet," said Cano, who leads the Yankees with 27 homers, 106 RBIs and a .315 batting average. "But don't get me wrong. I love this team, you know?"

Cano acknowledged that Thursday night's home finale against the Tampa Bay Rays could be his final game at Yankee Stadium, at least as a member of the home team.

"Oh, yeah, who knows? Who knows what's going to happen," he said. "I'm just enjoying being here, and I'm going to enjoy the last day, being here with all these guys. Nobody said I'm leaving; nobody said I'm staying. I haven't decided anything yet. Let's see what happens after the World Series."

[/QUOTE]

Cano would be a huge loss for the Yankees who really need to get younger as it is.  I think they might still dish out big bucks to keep him and take a chance on a slower rebuilding process.  Cano will probably be one of the best long term signings the Yanks have had in years if it happens.

They need to lose the real (BIG BUST) guys any way they can like ARod and Tex.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In recent days, the Yankees have become increasingly pessimistic that they will be able to retain second baseman Robinson Cano. Sources familiar with the negotiations between the Yankees and Cano told ESPNNewYork.com that the Yankees believe the Seattle Mariners might be willing to offer Cano $200 million over eight years. The Yankees have privately vowed not to go past $175 million for Cano.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It would be the most incredible signing the sox could make in regards to one upmanship!!! Yanks sign Jake and we sign Robbie! winner ,winner chicken dinner!!!! Play him at 1B. Use the money earmarked for Ells and Naps!!! Same money and you get a better value, Butterfield can teach a skidrow bum how to play 1B!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Just to put a bow on this thread....SHOCKED he ended up anywhere but pinstripes.  It has taken 30+ years but we now know there actually is a $$ limit.

As for some talk that he would've or should've taken $200-$220MM for 8 years from the yankees.  not a chance.  and taxes have nothing to do with it.  this was Jay-Z's coming out party and the total $$$ figure was what mattered.  he was going to go with whomever offered the most total $$$'s, regardless of amount of years.  it was a statement figure aimed directly at $cott Bora$.

Congrats to Cano and his great, great grandkids who should never have to work a day in their lives.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Just to put a bow on this thread....SHOCKED he ended up anywhere but pinstripes.  It has taken 30+ years but we now know there actually is a $$ limit.

As for some talk that he would've or should've taken $200-$220MM for 8 years from the yankees.  not a chance.  and taxes have nothing to do with it.  this was Jay-Z's coming out party and the total $$$ figure was what mattered.  he was going to go with whomever offered the most total $$$'s, regardless of amount of years.  it was a statement figure aimed directly at $cott Bora$.

Congrats to Cano and his great, great grandkids who should never have to work a day in their lives.....

hey Slash,  i still feel his Day 1 request(10/310) vs the Yanks Day 1 offer left too wide a chasm to close...granted i have no proof to the fact...just my feeling...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Yankees continue to be clowns....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10476236/lloyd-mcclendon-rips-new-york-yankees-coach-kevin-long-robinson-cano-critique

New Seattle Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said Tuesday that Kevin Long should keep his opinions to himself, two days after the New York Yankees hitting coach criticized second baseman Robinson Cano for his unwillingness to run out routine ground balls while in the Bronx.

McClendon said Long overstepped his bounds with his critique of Cano's effort with New York and defended the Mariners' prized offseason free-agent acquisition.

"Last time I checked, I didn't know that Kevin Long was the spokesman for the New York Yankees," McClendon told ESPN.com. "That was a little surprising. I was a little pissed off, and I'm sure Joe [Girardi] feels the same way. He's concerned with his team and what they're doing, not what the Seattle Mariners players are doing.

"I'm a little surprised that Kevin Long is the spokesman for the New York Yankees. I wonder if he had any problems with Robbie when he wrote that book ["Cage Rat"] proclaiming himself as the guru of hitting."

Long responded to the criticism later Tuesday.

"That's too bad," he said. "I don't consider myself the spokesman for the Yankees. If you look at all the good things that were written about Robinson you would understand there was no malicious meaning behind any of it. If he wants to speak publicly like that, that is up to him. That is the way he interpreted it. I'm not going to get in a media war with Lloyd McClendon; he'd probably win that anyway.

Long said Cano resisted attempts by him and others in the New York organization to consistently run harder to first base. He said Cano would tell him that his legs didn't feel good or that he needed to conserve his energy to play every day.

"If somebody told me I was a dog, I'd have to fix that," Long told the Daily News. "When you choose not to, you leave yourself open to taking heat, and that's your fault. For whatever reason, Robbie chose not to.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10476236/lloyd-mcclendon-rips-new-york-yankees-coach-kevin-long-robinson-cano-critique

New Seattle Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said Tuesday that Kevin Long should keep his opinions to himself, two days after the New York Yankees hitting coach criticized second baseman Robinson Cano for his unwillingness to run out routine ground balls while in the Bronx.

McClendon said Long overstepped his bounds with his critique of Cano's effort with New York and defended the Mariners' prized offseason free-agent acquisition.

"Last time I checked, I didn't know that Kevin Long was the spokesman for the New York Yankees," McClendon told ESPN.com. "That was a little surprising. I was a little pissed off, and I'm sure Joe [Girardi] feels the same way. He's concerned with his team and what they're doing, not what the Seattle Mariners players are doing.

"I'm a little surprised that Kevin Long is the spokesman for the New York Yankees. I wonder if he had any problems with Robbie when he wrote that book ["Cage Rat"] proclaiming himself as the guru of hitting."

"That's too bad," he said. "I don't consider myself the spokesman for the Yankees. If you look at all the good things that were written about Robinson you would understand there was no malicious meaning behind any of it. If he wants to speak publicly like that, that is up to him. That is the way he interpreted it. I'm not going to get in a media war with Lloyd McClendon; he'd probably win that anyway.

Long said Cano resisted attempts by him and others in the New York organization to consistently run harder to first base. He said Cano would tell him that his legs didn't feel good or that he needed to conserve his energy to play every day.

"If somebody told me I was a dog, I'd have to fix that," Long told the Daily News. "When you choose not to, you leave yourself open to taking heat, and that's your fault. For whatever reason, Robbie chose not to.

[/QUOTE] Slash, not looking to refute your post..just for balance sake...this issue wasn't out of the blue.....Mark Teixeira: Yankees teammates would plead with Robinson Cano to hustle

Follow on Twitter
    on February 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM, updated February 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

First baseman Mark Teixeira says Robinson Cano's chronic lack of hustle was an ongoing topic in the Yankees dugout and clubhouse before the superstar second baseman left the team to sign with the Seattle Mariners.

On Tuesday, in an interview on ESPN's The Michael Kay Show, Teixeira sided with Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long, who touched off a war of words with the Mariners by pointing out that their $240 million slugger didn't always give 100 percent with the Yankees.

Teixeira said teammates noticed the loafing.

"We did. It was … no one’s perfect. There’s not a perfect player out there," Teixeira said. "We definitely noticed it, and we were noticing the fans noticing it. Robbie did a lot of amazing things, and that was one thing that a lot of people talked about. I think Kevin’s point was – and we all love Kevin; Kevin stands up for us as much as anybody -- but Kevin’s point was, don’t let them talk about that. That's easy (to fix)."

Teixeira said teammates tried to talk to Cano, but didn't seem to get through to him. He said players would tell Cano that "running hard down the line doesn't cost anything. ... I don't want to say it bothered me. We would just say, 'Robbie, it doesn't cost anything.'

"Kevin's point was, why are you letting people criticize you when you can just hustle?"

Teixeira -- who softened his remarks by saying, "We all love Robbie" -- said he didn't understand why Cano let the issue nag at his reputation.

"My dad, the only things he got mad at me for were poor sportsmanship and not hustling," said Teixeira, who said he often wondered, "Why aren't you hustling down there? It's not a hard thing to do."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Slash, not looking to refute your post..just for balance sake...this issue wasn't out of the blue.....Mark Teixeira: Yankees teammates would plead with Robinson Cano to hustle

Follow on Twitter
    on February 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM, updated February 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

First baseman Mark Teixeira says Robinson Cano's chronic lack of hustle was an ongoing topic in the Yankees dugout and clubhouse before the superstar second baseman left the team to sign with the Seattle Mariners.

On Tuesday, in an interview on ESPN's The Michael Kay Show, Teixeira sided with Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long, who touched off a war of words with the Mariners by pointing out that their $240 million slugger didn't always give 100 percent with the Yankees.

Teixeira said teammates noticed the loafing.

"We did. It was … no one’s perfect. There’s not a perfect player out there," Teixeira said. "We definitely noticed it, and we were noticing the fans noticing it. Robbie did a lot of amazing things, and that was one thing that a lot of people talked about. I think Kevin’s point was – and we all love Kevin; Kevin stands up for us as much as anybody -- but Kevin’s point was, don’t let them talk about that. That's easy (to fix)."

Teixeira said teammates tried to talk to Cano, but didn't seem to get through to him. He said players would tell Cano that "running hard down the line doesn't cost anything. ... I don't want to say it bothered me. We would just say, 'Robbie, it doesn't cost anything.'

"Kevin's point was, why are you letting people criticize you when you can just hustle?"

Teixeira -- who softened his remarks by saying, "We all love Robbie" -- said he didn't understand why Cano let the issue nag at his reputation.

"My dad, the only things he got mad at me for were poor sportsmanship and not hustling," said Teixeira, who said he often wondered, "Why aren't you hustling down there? It's not a hard thing to do."

[/QUOTE] FTR, i think Long should have just said, "it's in the past" and left it at that...as a whole, i believe he had no issues with Robbie as a person or player

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

that's kind of the point.  why even bring it up?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gee, I thought only the Red sox and their fans did that to ex-players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gee, I thought only the Red sox and their fans did that to ex-players.

[/QUOTE] well, i had no problem with Robbie, for me, his play far outweighed any of that.. trust me, i know he was hardly alone in that dept. besides, it's not like he was the Usain Bolt of MLB..