Cano flies to Seattle to meet with the Mariners

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Cano flies to Seattle to meet with the Mariners

I hope Seattle CEO Howard Lincoln did not "explode," as reported by The Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/jay-z-blows-robinson-cano-mariners-bid-sources-article-1.1539636

Lincoln should have politely declined the counteroffer, calmly ended the meeting and wished Robinson Cano and his representatives a safe trip back to New York. Any blow-up would be unprofessional.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

yanks should give cano and soon 2 B ex agent JZ

a chance to save face and up their offer a tad and end this

The Yanks might be like you know we really only feel comfrontable with 160, to really put it to Cano and JayZ.

could be joe

but hopefully they will be more professional than that

they are already on record as saying they will up the offer

but never to where JZ was talkin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

might be good time for Ben to sneak an offer in........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope Seattle CEO Howard Lincoln did not "explode," as reported by The Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/jay-z-blows-robinson-cano-mariners-bid-sources-article-1.1539636

Lincoln should have politely declined the counteroffer, calmly ended the meeting and wished Robinson Cano and his representatives a safe trip back to New York. Any blow-up would be unprofessional.

[/QUOTE]

was it JH or LL who blew up at teixera's house

very similar circumstances

they thought they had a deal going into the meeting

and the agent up the anti

difference was boras had a better offer from the yanks in his back pocket

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Seattle offered a stunning 9 year 225M contract and Jay-Z demanded 10/250M and the M's owner blew a fuse and ended the meeting. NYY have Cano by the yam sack now and Im pretty sure Jay-Z will not represent any other ballplayer after this completely mishandling Cano's negotiations.

This is pretty bad for Jay Z. It is going to be hard for him to get any clients knowing that he cost his first and best one 50 million.

I don't think Boras is laughing because either way he stands to lose a huge commission after losing Cano as a client.  I also think JAYZ is doing exactly what Boras would in driving the price up in hopes another team or the desperate Yankees overpay.  It's a win win for JAYZ and Cano if NY ends up losing him because this is in fact JAYZ (not Boras) so the Yankees may not have him in their pocket like they have Boras in past deals.

The Yankees are use to winning out on large deals, especially for one of their own players and this one would really hurt if they don't.  The good thing is the fact guys like Choo, Kemp, Ethier and others are still available if they want to upgrade for the loss.  This is another reason I want the Sox to grab Choo because if Cano bails on them I would bet my last dollar Gardner is gone and the Yanks grab the next best talent.

If the Sox really do plan on giving JBJ the starting position our team won't be anywhere near as good next season as we were with Jacoby in my opinion until he really matures.  If the Yans sign Cano, with Jacoby and McCann added to their lineup they will be real contendors if they also find pitching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Sweeny Murti ‏@YankeesWFAN 10h

Person close to Cano said he's upset with how much Ellsbury got compared to his offer. NYY not feeling optimistic but prepared to move on.

[/QUOTE]

Mark Feinsand had a good spin on that last night

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/yankees/2013/12/robinson-cano-upset-about-jacoby-ellsbury-yankees-contract-sorry-robbie-thats-baseba

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even if the Sox did have nterest in Cano, I can't imagine the image conscious Jay Z, who is also an avid Yankee fan, wanting to be known as the guy who's first big deal as an agent was to orchestrate the deal that caused the Yankees best player to sign with their biggest rival. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

was it JH or LL who blew up at teixera's house

very similar circumstances

they thought they had a deal going into the meeting

and the agent up the anti

difference was boras had a better offer from the yanks in his back pocket

[/QUOTE]

LL, he ask Teixieria if Boras even told him the offer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even if the Sox did have nterest in Cano, I can't imagine the image conscious Jay Z, who is also an avid Yankee fan, wanting to be known as the guy who's first big deal as an agent was to orchestrate the deal that caused the Yankees best player to sign with their biggest rival. 

[/QUOTE]

think of the hype.....Jay Z would be making a name.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I don't blame Cano one bit about being mad about Ellsbury deal.........giving Ellsbury all that cash and being cheap with him........

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

ken rosen reports cano/seattle deal is NOT dead

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What in the world gave you the impression JAYZ is an avid Yankee fan?  Because he has business interests there?  If the Dodgers dealt Kemp today, Cano would be in LA tomorrow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow.. Mariners offered him 9yr $225M but Jay-Z countered with 10yr $250M which made M's CEO explode.  Obviously Cano and Jay-Z don't want to go to Seatle.  Jay-Z is just trying to make the Yankees pay more.  Cano will go back to the Yankees on Yanks term.  Jay-Z thinks he's a super agent suddenly.  

[/QUOTE]

Overvalued his client, and got shown up by Scott Boras. Jay-Z is in way over his head when it comes to competing with Boras.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Boras is smart @ss not to sign any deals for Choo until Cano is off the market.  He knows the Yankees are looking at Choo right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ken Rosenthal          

Source: Talks between Cano, Mariners still alive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sign Cano so that the Yanks can't sign him, and then trade him to the Marlins for Stanton.  Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What in the world gave you the impression JAYZ is an avid Yankee fan?  Because he has business interests there?  If the Dodgers dealt Kemp today, Cano would be in LA tomorrow.

[/QUOTE]

Jay Z is a DIE-HARD Yankee fan, but I do agree that the Dodgers could be in play if things break right.  I'm not insinuating that Cano will only sign with the Yankees, although I still think he will, but a Red Sox/Cano deal has too many obstacles on both ends, in my opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Wow.. Mariners offered him 9yr $225M but Jay-Z countered with 10yr $250M which made M's CEO explode.  Obviously Cano and Jay-Z don't want to go to Seatle.  Jay-Z is just trying to make the Yankees pay more.  Cano will go back to the Yankees on Yanks term.  Jay-Z thinks he's a super agent suddenly.  

Overvalued his client, and got shown up by Scott Boras. Jay-Z is in way over his head when it comes to competing with Boras.

I'm not a huge fan of greedy agents or players because it has ruined the game but tell me how Boras has shown up JAYZ?  Boras potentially lost one of his biggest clients and commission to JAYZ so he has already lost. 

If Boras still had Cano he would be trying the same stunts.  Boras (if anything) should be worried about JAYZ moving forward regardless who Cano signs with because he won't be looked at as the only KING FISH of getting clients huge money anymore.  I hope JAYZ makes the Yanks pay dearly to retain Cano, grabs Boras's lost commission and takes even more clients from him moving forward which I'm sure is always on Scott's mind these days.  Making the Yankees pay dearly for Cano also leaves them even fewer options to find pitching.  

A weak farm, other teams willingness to spend, the luxury tax and financially being strapped in long term salaries is what has kept the Yankees from dominating baseball in recent years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to redsoxriteofspring's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We'll soon see who is bluffing. While it's quite possible, hard to see the Yankees letting the only real less than old and broken down starts skip town. Ellsbury makes Cano look like Ted Williams. 

[/QUOTE]

Thats funny!!! Good one..... Elsbury makes Cano look like Ted Williams.... Couldn't say it any better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No. There is no good time for Ben to make an offer to Cano. There is no place for Cano on the 2014 team, on the 2020 team, on the 2024 team, or in the budget from now until doomsday.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

What do the Sox need with another 2B?  I kinda like the one we already have.

Give me Choo,  re-sign Napoli & Drew and done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

They are playing each other. Looks like someone went to Scott Boras School for becoming an Agent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cano is a difference maker. If they sign him and have enough money left over to sign Choo then with the 2 B and the OF'der that's being replaced they go out and trade for another part Or resign Morales--perhaps trade for two years of David Price---they have a pretty good team.

The Red Sox put together a pretty good team over one winter between FA signings and trades.

[/QUOTE]

Choo would look real good in CF at Fenway.....Could be done if they want him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jon Heyman          

mariners are close to a deal with Robinson Cano

Sections
Shortcuts