Cano off to great start

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Cano off to great start

.600 OBP as the Mariners score 26 runs in first 3 games.

How's this lookin' so far, Yankee brass?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Cano off to great start

They wasted 40M on a pitcher with 0 MLB experience and a soon to be 40yo pitcher who fell off a cliff last year...22M per for a 300/350/425 line until hes 37, 17M for an offensive catcher with questionable D and 16M per for a 37yo OF'er until he's 40 with knee issues and whos lost a step in the OF last year.

How could they have possibly wanted a 320/400/500 player with GG D and 30HR power at an up the middle position, who was homegrown? Tanaka and Ells are only making 1-2M less per year. I think they could have afforded him and still spent their $$ better.

I just dont think they spent very wisly AT ALL this year...

What their depth loooking like if CC and Kuroda go down? whos backing up 2b and 3b and SS? Is Tanaka going to be as good as he was in Japan?

I hope Robbie rakes this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Girardi pinch-hit for his starting third baseman, Johnson, last night in the 7th inning, with Solarte, a kid who was having his first major league at-bat.  Solarte hit into a rally-killing double play.  Not a good sign when you're pinch-hitting for your starting 3B in the second game of the year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

GM  Hfxsoxnut

everyone has a right to their fun/opinion

I'm just a tad surprised that 2 astute posters like hfx & 777

R in favor of 10 yr deals

btw roberts has a 500 OBP

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's fun to look at stats after 2 days....but more informative after a full season....but perhaps not as fun. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

I may be astute but sometimes I gotta tweak when I get a chance, zac Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i am still shocked that the yankees got outbid on cano.  maybe i shouldnt be as going back to the george days he was always more interested in snagging other teams big name FA to get back pages for days.  i hope Cano hits 273 HR's this season.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i am still shocked that the yankees got outbid on cano.  maybe i shouldnt be as going back to the george days he was always more interested in snagging other teams big name FA to get back pages for days.  i hope Cano hits 273 HR's this season.....

[/QUOTE] Slash, you think you're slick don't you?....we know that as soon as he gets to 270 you'll just accuse him of juicing Tongue Out..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrgooch. Show mrgooch's posts

[QUOTE]

GM  Hfxsoxnut

[/QUOTE]

+1  If the Yanks would have signed Cano to the years he wanted, this forum would have been all over the Yanks.  Still a long ways to go.  160 or so games left.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrgooch. Show mrgooch's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees line-up is atrocious. I see them faltering to 14 back by August 1st, and a dead last finish.

[/QUOTE]

Ill keep this post and we will see if you are right come august 1st.  As a Yankees fan I feel the Sox will be in 3rd place by then, looking up at the Yankees.  Just my prediction

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to mrgooch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1  If the Yanks would have signed Cano to the years he wanted, this forum would have been all over the Yanks.  Still a long ways to go.  160 or so games left.  

[/QUOTE]

no doubt about it

those RSP's would have been all over this site

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

+1  If the Yanks would have signed Cano to the years he wanted, this forum would have been all over the Yanks.    

First of all, you're right, we would have lambasted the Yankees no matter which way they went.  As Sox fans, that's what we do.  Guilty as charged.

However, other events put this move in a different light.

1) The Yankees took 200 million of the 240 million Cano didn't get, and spent it on 7 years of Ellsbury and 3 years of 37-year old Beltran.

2) In light of Cabrera's extension at 31 million per year, and the estimates that Trout might be worth 35 million a year right now, the 240 million for Cano looks more reasonable.

I have to wonder if there was something else going on here, either the Yankees suspect PED's or they just really didn't like Cano personally. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    well slash hank steindollars is not and will never be his old man.....who I am sure right now is spinning in his grave with aggrivation over what happened to his beloved yankees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no doubt about it

those RSP's would have been all over this site

[/QUOTE]

anti-yankees slant on a Red Sox board?  shame on us.

thank god you are here to keep it real for us.

no W's thus far in Houston but at least jeter got a new pair of cowboy boots.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

However, other events put this move in a different light.

1) The Yankees took 200 million of the 240 million Cano didn't get, and spent it on 7 years of Ellsbury and 3 years of 37-year old Beltran.

2) In light of Cabrera's extension at 31 million per year, and the estimates that Trout might be worth 35 million a year right now, the 240 million for Cano looks more reasonable.

[/QUOTE]

perfect.

looking forward to the response (if any) to this.  you know, something besides "Red Sox fans would've made fun of us if we signed him for $290MM"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I thought the Yanks should have signed Cano and not Ells (if the choice came down to those two). 

That said I've never believed you can judge these major deals that soon. Will take a few years probably to get a clear answer. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

we R not talking about a slant

speaking of keeping it real

lackey looked great last night

and that was an outstanding play by the HD

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Yankees are in trouble. That lineup just isn't that scary, and the infield is going to be really bad.  If they sustain a few injuries (and all teams do) it's going to get very very ugly in NY.

The one wild card is their pitching; which could be good but still has a multitude of questions: will CC revive his career? or continue on his downward spiral? can Kuroda do it for one more year at his age? he did slow down a LOT last year and is one year older.  Nova is good, but not great, can he replace CC at the top?  Tanaka could be really good, but will he be elite? he hasn't pitched one pitch in the U.S.  The Bullpen is VERY weak.  Robertson is a stud, and i think he will close out games well despite the bad track record there....but after that the pen is thin.

NYY are in trouble....we've been hoping for this for the last few years and they always figure something out but this might be the year they actually stink. 

2 years in a row....missed playoffs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

we R not talking about a slant

speaking of keeping it real

lackey looked great last night

and that was an outstanding play by the HD

[/QUOTE]

Really, I could've sworn we were discussing "everyone has a right to their fun/opinion"

Certainly seems like a slant on the Cano contract.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees are in trouble. That lineup just isn't that scary, and the infield is going to be really bad.  If they sustain a few injuries (and all teams do) it's going to get very very ugly in NY.

The one wild card is their pitching; which could be good but still has a multitude of questions: will CC revive his career? or continue on his downward spiral? can Kuroda do it for one more year at his age? he did slow down a LOT last year and is one year older.  Nova is good, but not great, can he replace CC at the top?  Tanaka could be really good, but will he be elite? he hasn't pitched one pitch in the U.S.  The Bullpen is VERY weak.  Robertson is a stud, and i think he will close out games well despite the bad track record there....but after that the pen is thin.

NYY are in trouble....we've been hoping for this for the last few years and they always figure something out but this might be the year they actually stink. 

2 years in a row....missed playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

I suspect that Tanaka is going to be very good.  But they really do have issues.  Phelps looked bad last night, and I can't believe Thornton is their late-inning lefty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

It's not how you start it....it's how you finish.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to eggplants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not how you start it....it's how you finish.

[/QUOTE]

Aint that the truth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Cano deserves a standing ovation when the Mariners visit Yankee Stadium.  Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees line-up is atrocious. I see them faltering to 14 back by August 1st, and a dead last finish.

[/QUOTE]

Ill keep this post and we will see if you are right come august 1st.  As a Yankees fan I feel the Sox will be in 3rd place by then, looking up at the Yankees.  Just my prediction

[/QUOTE]

Your prediction is as good as any. Way too early to form a accurate one. Pitching and health will determine who has a good season.

On paper the Yankees have strong starters and a suspect BP. They are pinning their offensive success and a few aging stars. Bench isn't very deep.

Given the choice (money/years) aside Cano would have been a better signing then Ell's, but those two factors can't be ignored.