Cano to Sign? Looks official.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Cano to Sign? Looks official.....

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Great news, if its true. The link does not indicate that anything is final, but if it comes to pass then the Yankees, despite signing Ellsbury, are a weaker team now than at the beginning of the offseason. And the Mariners...with all due respect to Hill, this was an incredibly dumb move. Cano will be 41 at the end of the contract-and still getting $15M that year.

To be precise, Robinson Cano will be 41 years old at the end of the contract only if his team is in the 2023 World Series.Wink

I'm averse to long-term contracts so it's not a deal I would make, but I can only sit back and hope for the best. And who knows what $15 million will be worth in 2022 dollars?

[/QUOTE]

Wow, hill. Now, if you guys get Price...

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees are a stronger team if they sign Choo period.  Adding similar power and a higher OBP to their lineup will pretty much erase Cano's value.  The Yankees could also go after Hanley next season to replace Jeter.  In the long run and barring a solid move by Cherington to steal Choo away the Yankees are right back in the mix when they get some pitching. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I may be the only one who thinks this...but I think it's a GREAT deal for not only the Mariners....but Seattle in general.  Seattle is a great city that has become very disinfranchised with their team.  The fanbase is EXCELLENT their....they just needed something to spark them a bit.  Heck...which NFL team do you NOT want to play at their home??  Seattle!  This deal has the possiblitly to reinvigerate a good fan base and warm the city back up to baseball.  Plus their ballpark is FANTASTIC. 

Yes...they overayed but they had ZERO choice.  If they want to spark the city again and their fanbase, they knew they had to overpay.  A deal like this will attract other players to Seattle as well.  Remember, it's a business too.....from a business standpoint it's a great deal.  From a baseball view it has potential to be a HUGE deal that starts a nice movement in a city that DESPERATELY wants a team to rout for.  They have 3 solid starters and the lineup just got a lot stronger.  Another decent few moves and they could EASILY challenge Texas and maybe Oakland.

KUDOS Seattle!  Great move!!

[/QUOTE]

Yes...Because so many of these mega-contracts have worked in the past, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Wonder why Hill is not here with his WAR. hahaha

Here you go:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mariners-break-the-bank-hope-robinson-cano-defies-odds/

Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to KRomine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I may be the only one who thinks this...but I think it's a GREAT deal for not only the Mariners....but Seattle in general.  Seattle is a great city that has become very disinfranchised with their team.  The fanbase is EXCELLENT their....they just needed something to spark them a bit.  Heck...which NFL team do you NOT want to play at their home??  Seattle!  This deal has the possiblitly to reinvigerate a good fan base and warm the city back up to baseball.  Plus their ballpark is FANTASTIC. 

Yes...they overayed but they had ZERO choice.  If they want to spark the city again and their fanbase, they knew they had to overpay.  A deal like this will attract other players to Seattle as well.  Remember, it's a business too.....from a business standpoint it's a great deal.  From a baseball view it has potential to be a HUGE deal that starts a nice movement in a city that DESPERATELY wants a team to rout for.  They have 3 solid starters and the lineup just got a lot stronger.  Another decent few moves and they could EASILY challenge Texas and maybe Oakland.

KUDOS Seattle!  Great move!!

[/QUOTE]

Yes...Because so many of these mega-contracts have worked in the past, right?

[/QUOTE]

Youi're missing the point and the big picture.  There's A LOT more to this then just being and over-pay for a player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

My off the wall prediction, Yanks sign Choo.

[/QUOTE] have really kept up on Choo..have there been any particulars out there on him( ie years/$$ sought???)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Great news, if its true. The link does not indicate that anything is final, but if it comes to pass then the Yankees, despite signing Ellsbury, are a weaker team now than at the beginning of the offseason. And the Mariners...with all due respect to Hill, this was an incredibly dumb move. Cano will be 41 at the end of the contract-and still getting $15M that year.

To be precise, Robinson Cano will be 41 years old at the end of the contract only if his team is in the 2023 World Series.Wink

I'm averse to long-term contracts so it's not a deal I would make, but I can only sit back and hope for the best. And who knows what $15 million will be worth in 2022 dollars?

Wow, hill. Now, if you guys get Price...

One way to look at it is whether it's better for the Mariners to finish in fourth place after a ho-hum offseason (as in recent years) or finishing fourth place after at least making serious moves in the offseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't make that deal either Hill, but I have ZERO against the Mariners becoming a factor in the AL again. I think that in order to do it they will need to get some high OBP guys because hitting HRs at Safeco is very difficult. They also need a large improvement in overall pitching, which finished next to last in the AL in 2013 in ERA+. Price would certainly help give you guys a very imposing 1-3 SP. There is a lot of work to be done still to make the Mariners a force in the ALW, but I wish them the best of luck in achieving that.....and thank you to the M's for stealing Cano from the Yankees.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

When you break this deal down it comes down to Ellsbury at $22 million per year vs. Cano at $24 million per year.  Yes Cano is for more years, but he is the better player.  I am shocked... absolutely shocked that Cano is gone from NY.  Even when ARod was in his prime hitting the world on fire with his PEDs, I was more scared of Cano in the lineup.  He has been the best Yankee hitter by a large margin for years now and I for one am absolutely elated that they downgraded to Ellsbury and got a taste of their own medicine. 

Yankee fans... this is how it feels to have one of your own signed off for more money from another team.  Kinda blows huh?  Well it blows a bit less for this Sox fan after knowing Cano got pulled from the Yankees and they lost a bid on a player for once.  Ells was a fine player, but he is no Robinson Cano.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From the Seattle Mariners: "We aren't able to confirm any news regarding Robinson Cano at this time. If & when an agreement is completed & finalized, we will announce."

https://twitter.com/Mariners

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Seattle saved the Yankees from themselves

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I still can't believe this. I thought Cano was worth 8-208 and I am stingy when it comes to free agency money. They Yankees supposedly didn't even offer that. Yet they offered Ellsbury 153? I have no clue what they are thinking.  Ironic shadenfreude.

As for Cano, I believe he was by far the best player in free agency. No matter what the Yankees do this off season, they are not a threat next season. Think about it. They still don't have their best 2 starters. Their great closer is retired. Their best player is gone. And those were the 4 guys that got you a 79 win pythagorean team. Right now they are a 65 win team on paper with Ellsbury and the injured guys back.

The Yankee fans are already blaming Ellsbury. I would have thought it would be funny to chant CAAAA-NOOOOOOOO every time he comes up, but now I think its going to not be needed. Don't sweat the Yankees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"When you break this deal down it comes down to Ellsbury at $22 million per year vs. Cano at $24 million per year.  Yes Cano is for more years, but he is the better player.  I am shocked... absolutely shocked that Cano is gone from NY. "

That sums it up. Cano is either much better or reasonably better than Ells. 

And he has been far more durable I believe, though don't have those stats in front of me. 

I'm baffled by what the Yanks did here but it may have gotten personal in bad way as negotiations often do. 

I do want to point out as others have that so far the best confirmation we have of this is one "source" from ESPN Deportes. I think it's fair to say that this is likely done BUT it's not 100 percent confirmed yet. 

If it's Ellsbury in, Cano out the Yanks are not a better team today. But: we are still worse off for losing Ells despite that he was likely not worth that contract. It's not doomsday but it needs to be addressed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Cano signing is a good one for Seattle....they needed to be able to get back on the Baseball map...elite players have been reluctant to go play in that Ballpark. That said this is bad for Ellsbury....he is clearly not a guy who wants to be the MAN on a team.....he is a guy who will give you great ball but not a guy who wants to be depended on to carry a team.....alot of the NY papers when he signed were using that as a Story line, that he signed with the Yankees rather than Seattle because he just wants to be another guy.....without Cano on the Yankees, an older Jeter....Tex coming off an Injury....no Granderson.....Ells is going to be expected to make the Yanks score runs.....alot of runs....especially with a weak pitching staff and a weakened Bullpen....the pressure will be suffocating.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cano signing is a good one for Seattle....they needed to be able to get back on the Baseball map...elite players have been reluctant to go play in that Ballpark. That said this is bad for Ellsbury....he is clearly not a guy who wants to be the MAN on a team.....he is a guy who will give you great ball but not a guy who wants to be depended on to carry a team.....alot of the NY papers when he signed were using that as a Story line, that he signed with the Yankees rather than Seattle because he just wants to be another guy.....without Cano on the Yankees, an older Jeter....Tex coming off an Injury....no Granderson.....Ells is going to be expected to make the Yanks score runs.....alot of runs....especially with a weak pitching staff and a weakened Bullpen....the pressure will be suffocating.

[/QUOTE] hey tom....wouldn't that still be his job regardless??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes....but as you know Jete....the pressure on him has increased 10 fold....he is now the offensive force on the Yankees...whereas with Cano at least he would have been #2. NY Media is just like Boston Media(maybe not quite as bad) but unless he gets off to a fast start....every day the papers will be all over him

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but they will sign Pap to replace Mo...........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree and a knife in the heart for Scott Boras which you gotta love.  JAYZ will begin to take more and more clients away from the guy after this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

boatloads of pressure on Ells

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes....but as you know Jete....the pressure on him has increased 10 fold....he is now the offensive force on the Yankees...whereas with Cano at least he would have been #2. NY Media is just like Boston Media(maybe not quite as bad) but unless he gets off to a fast start....every day the papers will be all over him

[/QUOTE] LOL..oh on that part i have no doubt :-)....at least he'll already have some semblence of how to deal...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree and a knife in the heart for Scott Boras which you gotta love.  JAYZ will begin to take more and more clients away from the guy after this.

[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure of that ....they really screwed up with the 10 year/310mm leak......now Boras will be telling other guys that he could have gotten him that....and he can point to Ells....who he got more than the CC deal when nobody thought he could. Jay Z will be making a killing in Basketball, but Boras is still going to be the man in Baseball

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Bob Klapisch @BobKlap 3h

Feel mistakes made on both sides. Cano: pure money grab. #Yankees: not going to 8th year after giving Ellsbury 7. Cano is the better player

Retweeted by Pete Abraham

Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1 32m

Heard end game with #Yankees Cano came few days ago: Cano said $235M to stay, NYY countered at 7-$175M Gap too great He moved on. #Mariners

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bob Klapisch @BobKlap 3h

Feel mistakes made on both sides. Cano: pure money grab. #Yankees: not going to 8th year after giving Ellsbury 7. Cano is the better player

Retweeted by Pete Abraham

Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1 32m

Heard end game with #Yankees Cano came few days ago: Cano said $235M to stay, NYY countered at 7-$175M Gap too great He moved on. #Mariners

[/QUOTE]

Insane contract in the long run but great for the city for most of his contract I'm sure and possibly luring other potential FA's there.  The Mariners needed a bat desperately but went way too far on years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Doesn't this make it obvious that Jeter will be expected to play at second base next year?  They didn't sign the guy for $12 million dollars just because he has a familiar face.  He is to be expected to contribute and this is the only way to replace a good portion of the value of Cano.  It would also be popular with the fans seeing Jeter doing whatever is needed of the team.  Meanwhile it would help cover the lack of range he is going to have due to age and injury.

Go sign Drew and give us another Draft pick please so you have a real short stop and sign a starter & 2 relievers.  Kuroda was a good start, but you can't count on the Japanese starter anymore with the new rules in place.  It makes for a more interesting season when you don't suck... so at least get to a competitive state.  Not too good... just enough to make it interesting and miss the playoffs :-P ... jk (sort of)

There... problem solved Yankee fans... that said, I won't miss facing Cano in the lineup.  All we have to do is to put a lefty reliever in the game when Drew comes up and we can get that guy out, but at least he is a solid defender.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Wonder why Hill is not here with his WAR. hahaha

Here you go:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mariners-break-the-bank-hope-robinson-cano-defies-odds/

Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, Hill.  Your team got itself quite a ballplayer there.

Sections
Shortcuts