can't afford to play Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

can't afford to play Napoli

Going down the stretch, he's a detriment and can't make contact as he's always trying to hit the 600 ft homer. He kills rallies as he did on every AB tonight and has struck out close to 150 times this year, a disaster, the Brentz kid would do a whole lot better in the 5 hole

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: can't afford to play Napoli

In response to jader's comment:

Going down the stretch, he's a detriment and can't make contact as he's always trying to hit the 600 ft homer. He kills rallies as he did on every AB tonight and has struck out close to 150 times this year, a disaster, the Brentz kid would do a whole lot better in the 5 hole

I love these kind of assertions.  Because a veteran player is struggling, we can assume that the inexperienced and unproven kid will fill the void.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Slumps happen. Just drop him in the order until he gets back into it. Not really a huge deal with this lineup that has no problem scoring runs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

He is projected for 20 homers, 90 RBI's and has a 785 OPS.

Oh no what will we do.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Napoli is good, there is nothing wrong with him.  He's not a true #4 #5 hitter.  He's a guy you bat #6 #7

If you take Napoli out.....who do you replace him with?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Brent's has a ton of swing and miss in him.  He's very Josh reddick like.  Yes he might hit 20-25 HR but might strike out 150 times.  He's not an upgrade.  Besides he's on the D.L.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I'd be happier with someone with these attributes:

A hitter that strikes out less often, that can make contact when that's almost all that's required to score a run.

A hitter that knows the strike zone and can draw walks when a walk will do.

A hitter with some speed, that's not a guaranteed out in a force or GIDP. You also get the chance for some infield hits with this type of hitter.

At hitter with more defensive range at 1st. An extra half step is often the difference between a ball getting into the outfield or down the line for a double.

A hitter that could drop a bunt from time to time.

I think we should be able to get a RH bat that could hit .250-.275 and 10 to 15 homers a year for less than 13 million.

For 13 million, I think you should even be able to get someone that's a threat to steal.

If we wanted just power, then Gomes nine homers / four pinch hit homers are coming at a much higher rate than Naps, even though overall slugging is a bit lower. Considering his defense, while the overall slash line isn't that great the $5m we're paying him is starting to look like a bargain.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Justin Morneau, James Loney, Mike Carp/WMB, Travis Shaw (AA Portland), Mark Hamilton/ Alex Hassan (AAA-PAW). This is a small sampling--Nap will have  45 games to show he can be productive...I am not sure if it will straighten out. He does not look like he can make solid contact with a thrown ball.

I think he needs some time off--right now he is only a threat to strike out. It may be the hip that is bothering him more than he's letting on hoping he can keep it together through FA--it's not going to happen. He will be further exposed as the Sox get coser to and into the playoffs.

If I'm the GM--I tell WMB to start taking balls at 1 B and you will be playing there for a while. In the meantime Carp plays 1 B to see if he can do it consistently--the next move is WMB at first and potentially a platoon with Carp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Justin Morneau, James Loney, Mike Carp/WMB, Travis Shaw (AA Portland), Mark Hamilton/ Alex Hassan (AAA-PAW). This is a small sampling--Nap will have  45 games to show he can be productive...I am not sure if it will straighten out. He does not look like he can make solid contact with a thrown ball.

I think he needs some time off--right now he is only a threat to strike out. It may be the hip that is bothering him more than he's letting on hoping he can keep it together through FA--it's not going to happen. He will be further exposed as the Sox get coser to and into the playoffs.

If I'm the GM--I tell WMB to start taking balls at 1 B and you will be playing there for a while. In the meantime Carp plays 1 B to see if he can do it consistently--the next move is WMB at first and potentially a platoon with Carp.

Most of all, Nap is a rally killer...ENOUGH!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

This guy is stiff as a carp. How in the hell with a swing like that will he ever hit the GD ball.For the love of god dont let this guy near the bat rack.

stevebosox04  since1946 semper fi

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Oh no what will we do.

He's only on that pace because he had all those RBIs in April and May. Does he look like the type of guy that will come out of it? I'm guessing once Nava returns, his playing time will be reduced.

• Mike Napoli is 0 for his last 14 and has left 23 runners on base. He is down to .251, .214 with runners in scoring position. Napoli has not been what the Sox hoped. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

With runners in scoring position, Mike Napoli is batting .211. His SLG average is .398 and OPS is .715. He has struck out almost 40% of the time in this situation. He is hitting better than the following Red Sox players in this category:

Stephen Drew, Pedro Ciriaco, Will Middlebrooks, Brandon Snyder, JB Jr, David Ross and Jonathan Diaz.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Oh no what will we do.

He's only on that pace because he had all those RBIs in April and May. Does he look like the type of guy that will come out of it? I'm guessing once Nava returns, his playing time will be reduced.

• Mike Napoli is 0 for his last 14 and has left 23 runners on base. He is down to .251, .214 with runners in scoring position. Napoli has not been what the Sox hoped. 

[/QUOTE]

Even worse Naopli has struck out 19 times in his last 39 ABs.  He is on pace for over 210 Ks on the year.  He swings and misses over 42% of the time.  This isn't just a slump.  This is who he has become.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Brent's has a ton of swing and miss in him.  He's very Josh reddick like.  Yes he might hit 20-25 HR but might strike out 150 times.  He's not an upgrade.  Besides he's on the D.L.

I can't believe I just said Brent's 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Slumps happen. Just drop him in the order until he gets back into it. Not really a huge deal with this lineup that has no problem scoring runs.

It's a very huge deal facing good pitching. You need 5th spot to deliver not be say ok thats alright let the other guys carry us the second half  Sox 3rd and 1st baseman are toast !!! I really think Naps is hurting and should be put on DL for about a month and see if he can come back and help in Sept....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Napoli's current hitting problem is very much fixable.  what is the hitting coach doing to help this guy?  what is napoli doing to help himself.  have these guys bothered to watch any video?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Napoli's current hitting problem is very much fixable.  what is the hitting coach doing to help this guy?  what is napoli doing to help himself.  have these guys bothered to watch any video?

Exactly what Ive been thinking... if you look at Napoli especially with fastballs down the middle of the plate his head and eyes are up and facing toward the pitcher instead of down and following the ball to the bat... he has been doing this for weeks now with what appears to be no correction at all?  I followed Naps a lot with the angels and the one thing he used to be known for is crushing a fast ball in the middle of the plate...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Napoli had an .860 OPS with 5 hr in July, bouncing back from a very poor June.

Interestingly, although he's slumping badly so far this month, he also has 5 walks to 7 K's in 5 games, giving him a .348 OBP despite only 2 hits.

I see no reason to give up on him right now. Someone said he needs to prove he can be productive...although he hasn't been what many of us hoped, I think he's proven that already.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Here are his stats since May 1, updated to include the damage he did to the team last night: since May 1 he is batting at .244/.760. Thats pretty stinky for a guy in the five hole and its been pretty stinky for over three months. Yet Farrell keeps penciling him into the five hole every night. Some of this is now on Farrell for not moving him down in the order. The rest of it is just KNap being KNap.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

When we signed him, I figured we'd have a solid hitter but weak glove.  He's been the opposite -- weak  hitter,  solid (if unspectacular) glove.

I wouldn't bench him but I would drop him a few spots. To me, it's flat-out amazing that Papi is having the year he's having with Napoli batting behind him. I can't imagine he'd see a single decent pitch to hit. Maybe go with Salty/Gomes at No. 5, drop Napoli to 7th or 8th and see what happens.

Maybe he needs to shave that damn beard. When you're in a slump like this,  you try anything,  including wearing women's underwear.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He looks lost at the plate right now.  Maybe sit him out for a couple of games. Extra work with the batting coach. He is a better hitter than he looks lately.  A couple of days off might help.

Stabbed by Foulke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

When we signed him, I figured we'd have a solid hitter but weak glove.  He's been the opposite -- weak  hitter,  solid (if unspectacular) glove.

I wouldn't bench him but I would drop him a few spots. To me, it's flat-out amazing that Papi is having the year he's having with Napoli batting behind him. I can't imagine he'd see a single decent pitch to hit. Maybe go with Salty/Gomes at No. 5, drop Napoli to 7th or 8th and see what happens.

Maybe he needs to shave that damn beard. When you're in a slump like this,  you try anything,  including wearing women's underwear.

Lloyd, Nava has  .302/.854 for the year vs RHP. HE should be batting fifth vs RHP, not KNap. In addition, Nava makes contact, striking out just under 15% of the time vs RHP in contrast to KNap who is striking out about 33% of the time. This move is a no brainer vs RHP. Furthermore, Carp is vastly outperforming KNap vs RHP and deserves a lot more playing time at 1B. Last I checked Carp's OPS vs RHP was .989. Right now, unfortunately, we do not have anyone who can bat fifth effectively vs LHP. I might drop Pedroia to fifth to try to protect Ortiz; Pedroia has a .906 OPS vs LHP. Maybe move Holt/Snyder up to the third position and drop KNap down to sixth or seventh. The solution is not as easy vs LHP, but vs RHP its really a no brainer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Oh no what will we do.

If Napoli isnt what the Sox hoped then the Sox were hoping with wishful thinking...Mike napoli is performing exactly like Mike Napoli has always performed..Occasional Power....low BA...lots of K's.....if anytinghe is having a better RBI year than he normally does....in his lat 3 years before Boston...he had HR/RBi of 26/68, 30/75 and 24/56....this year he is 14/68, so he is what he is....I am not sure we have a better Option....defintely not against lefties....Against righties, I might play Nava/Carp more often....but if you expose Carp to more playing time, we will find out that he is what he is also.

Sections
Shortcuts