can't afford to play Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: can't afford to play Napoli

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lloyd, Nava has  .302/.854 for the year vs RHP. HE should be batting fifth vs RHP, not KNap. In addition, Nava makes contact, striking out just under 15% of the time vs RHP in contrast to KNap who is striking out about 33% of the time. This move is a no brainer vs RHP. Furthermore, Carp is vastly outperforming KNap vs RHP and deserves a lot more playing time at 1B. Last I checked Carp's OPS vs RHP was .989. Right now, unfortunately, we do not have anyone who can bat fifth effectively vs LHP. I might drop Pedroia to fifth to try to protect Ortiz; Pedroia has a .906 OPS vs LHP. Maybe move Holt/Snyder up to the third position and drop KNap down to sixth or seventh. The solution is not as easy vs LHP, but vs RHP its really a no brainer.

[/QUOTE]
    PG, I think you misread  me or something.  I said Napoli should be dropped. Honestly, just about anyone would  be an improvement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lloyd, Nava has  .302/.854 for the year vs RHP. HE should be batting fifth vs RHP, not KNap. In addition, Nava makes contact, striking out just under 15% of the time vs RHP in contrast to KNap who is striking out about 33% of the time. This move is a no brainer vs RHP. Furthermore, Carp is vastly outperforming KNap vs RHP and deserves a lot more playing time at 1B. Last I checked Carp's OPS vs RHP was .989. Right now, unfortunately, we do not have anyone who can bat fifth effectively vs LHP. I might drop Pedroia to fifth to try to protect Ortiz; Pedroia has a .906 OPS vs LHP. Maybe move Holt/Snyder up to the third position and drop KNap down to sixth or seventh. The solution is not as easy vs LHP, but vs RHP its really a no brainer.

PG, I think you misread  me or something.  I said Napoli should be dropped. Honestly, just about anyone would  be an improvement.

[/QUOTE]

This is the quote from your previous post that I was responding to (I think we are both in agreement that Napoli must be dropped significantly in the lineup):

Maybe go with Salty/Gomes at No. 5

I think it should be Nava or Carp. In addition to being dropped, KNap's playing time has to decrease. While its true that Carp might get exposed if he plays more often, its also possible that he is just having a good year and that he will continue to do so. In any event, KNap is lost at the plate. He looks worse than bad up there. He needs to sit as soon as Nava returns to the club, and sit for at least a week.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If Napoli isnt what the Sox hoped then the Sox were hoping with wishful thinking...Mike napoli is performing exactly like Mike Napoli has always performed..

Not sure I agree.

Occasional Power....

He's topped 20 HR five times, topping out at 30, and in all but one of those years (including the 30 HR) he had fewer AB's than the 383 he has currently this season. I think it's safe to say he has not provided as much power as could have been expected.

low BA...

It should be noted that he hit .320 the year before last...however his career BA is .257, so I guess that is pretty in line with this season. The OPS being lower (career mark .852) is more important and more disappointing.

lots of K's.....

With you there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

As much as those of us who are not to happy with Napoli lack of performance at the plate, as much or more of the blame should go on Farrell who continues to bat Naps in the 5 hole instead of 6-7-8-9 (your choice).  The number 5 batter "does not" have to be a power hitter that strikes out often, but someone who can put the ball in play, a singles/doubles hitter who more often than not is coming up with runners on with Ells, Vic, Pedey and Papi hitting ahead of him, who will much more often than Naps, keep a rally going, who can drive in as many, if not more than Naps with his very high strike out record.  Why does Farrell keep on penciling Naps in at the 5 hole?  Is it because Farrell is hoping that some time before the end of the season, Naps will break out of his slump, if you can call it that.  Maybe the term that the "Sox win games despite Farrell/Francona and lose games because of Farrell/Francona" applies.  As it turns out, Ben C. has built a Sox club this year that could go all the way this year if everyone does their job.  That is Players, "Managers and Coaches", and yes anyone can make a mistake playing baseball, but just what does Farrell see that we Monday Morning Quaterbacks don't see in continuing to play/bat Naps in the 5 hole/1st base?  Like it or not, this is my take.

Yell 

(My opinion is not valid as I do not post often)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

If Napoli isnt what the Sox hoped then the Sox were hoping with wishful thinking...Mike napoli is performing exactly like Mike Napoli has always performed..

Not sure I agree.

Occasional Power....

He's topped 20 HR five times, topping out at 30, and in all but one of those years (including the 30 HR) he had fewer AB's than the 383 he has currently this season. I think it's safe to say he has not provided as much power as could have been expected.

low BA...

It should be noted that he hit .320 the year before last...however his career BA is .257, so I guess that is pretty in line with this season. The OPS being lower is what surprises and disappoints me more.

lots of K's.....

With you there.

2011 was a career year for him and outside all his norms....take that out and his powere numbers, judged by XBH are similar to this year....since he has already set a career high for 2B this year.....Napoli is one more in a long line of RH power hitters who the team and fans assumed would hit a gazillion HRs because of the Wall.....and once again the Wall Wins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

We need moonslav to comment on this thread.  He started another one entitled "elephants in the room," in which he argued that the lineup is rife with non-producers and we are blaming Napoli too much.   

I'm inclined to think Napoli probably needs to be moved out of the 5 slot, but will be the first to admit I think Farrell's judgment is better than mine.  I think overall team chemistry might be involved in his decision-making.  On the other hand, he has started Nava and Carp at 1B on occasion, but I am fairly certainly he has not pinch-hit for Napoli. 

The 5 slot can be huge, and Napoli's rbi's declined precipitously from April to May, but continued a slow decline in June and July--he had 27 in April but just 10 in July (granted, a short month because of the all-star break) even though his July OPS was over .850.  In five games in August, zero rbi's and a very low OPS.   

As the season has gone along, Farrell has been less and less inclined to vary the batting order.  He platoons at 3B and LF, but whoever is there usually bats 6th, right after Napoli.  The first five slots have solidified at Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedroia, Ortiz, and Napoli.  If Salty catches, he usually bats 7th, and if Lavarnway, it's 8th.  Snyder/Holt, like Iglesias before them, usually bat 9th, and Drew bats 8th or occasionally 7th. 

My candidates for the 5 slot would be Gomes, whose OPS's in June, July, and August have been .826, .885, and .972, a very nice trend, and Drew, who has been very hot so far in August.  Like Napoli, Gomes hits lefties and righties equally well, and he will strike out.  But those numbers for June-August are pretty impressive.

It might even make sense to move Gomes into the 5 slot, Drew into the 6 slot, and Napoli into the 7 slot, which can be a very productive slot in this lineup.  The problem with Drew in the 6 slot of course is the big swing in OPS--200 points, roughly, difference between facing righties and facing lefties. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

He is projected for 20 homers, 90 RBI's and has a 785 OPS.

Oh no what will we do.

He's only on that pace because he had all those RBIs in April and May. Does he look like the type of guy that will come out of it? I'm guessing once Nava returns, his playing time will be reduced.

• Mike Napoli is 0 for his last 14 and has left 23 runners on base. He is down to .251, .214 with runners in scoring position. Napoli has not been what the Sox hoped. 

If Napoli isnt what the Sox hoped then the Sox were hoping with wishful thinking...Mike napoli is performing exactly like Mike Napoli has always performed..Occasional Power....low BA...lots of K's.....if anytinghe is having a better RBI year than he normally does....in his lat 3 years before Boston...he had HR/RBi of 26/68, 30/75 and 24/56....this year he is 14/68, so he is what he is....I am not sure we have a better Option....defintely not against lefties....Against righties, I might play Nava/Carp more often....but if you expose Carp to more playing time, we will find out that he is what he is also.

Incorrect. Please note the lower OPS, and secondly, the number of At bats.  Please note the At Bats, Home Runs, and OPS for the following years:

2008  At Bats - 227  HR- 20  RBI - 49  OPS - .960  K - 70

2009  At Bats - 382  HR- 20  RBI - 56  OPS - .842  K - 103

2010  At Bats - 453  HR- 26  RBI - 68  OPS - .784  K - 137

2011  At Bats - 369  HR- 30  RBI - 75  OPS - 1.046  K - 85

2012  At Bats - 352  HR- 24  RBI - 56  OPS - .812  K - 125

2013  At Bats - 383  HR- 14  RBI - 64  OPS - .785  K - 147

For those of you saying he is producing the same he is not. Note the following:

1. He has more At Bats this year than any year in his career other than 2010, yet he only has 14 HR's. Every other year he has had at least 20. On a HR/AB basis, this year is his worst.

2. Outside of 2010, his OPS is the lowest in his career.

3. He has K'd more this year than any year on a per AB basis.

4. Isolated power is lowest in his career.

5. Batting .211 with RISP.

6. If somone could find the stat, I would venture to wager that Mike Napoli has come to the plate with more men on base than most players in baseball. Look at the four guys hitting ahead of him: Ellsbury, Victorino / Nava, Pedroia, Ortiz.

7. If he had a halfway decent RISP average, he shoudl be over 80 RBI's.

My argument is he should not be batting 5th, period. See my other thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

KNap i sa Large disapponitment and yes a rally killer of late

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Not sure I agree.

Occasional Power....

low BA...

It should be noted that he hit .320 the year before last...however his career BA is .257, so I guess that is pretty in line with this season. The OPS being lower (career mark .852) is more important and more disappointing.

lots of K's.....

With you there.

flapjack - I didn't read this before posting mine. I think our points are identical.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

MAXBIALYSTOCK: PLEASE CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES!

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Everybody should look at Napoli's career splits by month.  August is always his worst month, and September / October is by far his best.  He'll heat up when we need him to, and in the meantime he still gets on base 35% of the time.

August OPS = .757

Sept / Oct = 1.001

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jader's comment:

Going down the stretch, he's a detriment and can't make contact as he's always trying to hit the 600 ft homer. He kills rallies as he did on every AB tonight and has struck out close to 150 times this year, a disaster, the Brentz kid would do a whole lot better in the 5 hole

I agree we really need to help/address the Napoli problem ASAP.  The SO's and double plays are no help to our cause, especially in the middle of the order.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Napoli definitely in a slump - a glaringly obvious slump - but hitters go through slumps on regular basis and work their way out of them.  We've fortunately had good offense from rest of lineup and can afford Napoli some time - but the real question is whether his slump is due to the hip issue. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Not sure I agree.

Occasional Power....

low BA...

lots of K's.....

With you there.

flapjack - I didn't read this before posting mine. I think our points are identical.

I think so too, but you made the point better than I did and with many more stats...kudos.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, I strongly think that his hip is bothering him more than in the beginning of the year. Maybe he need some kind of a rest so he can be ready to help the club to finish off the Tampa Bay Rays for the divisional title.  That is more important.  Once they finish it off, Napoli can rest again sometime in the last week of the season.

Alot of times, when a hitter that have repeat same injuries in the past such as Papi with his ankle or wrist, Napoli with his hip, Youkilis with his back or hip, etc.  There are wear and tear on these guys where it could effect them big time in the later part of the season.

That is why resting Napoli now is the best way to do it.  Rays is 1 and 1/2 games behind the Red Sox at the same time they are on the road trip at the same time as Boston are.  Rays next series is at LA Dodgers.  Not an easy series for them to play in.  And Baltimore are in SF this coming weekend.   So what does Boston got to lose.  

Boston is a very deep team, and they have one of the better bench players in MLB.  So play the bench to rest few starters especially for Drew too.  But with his hot hitting, I would leave him in the game until he finally cool off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

One thing we should all be able to agree on is that being committed to Napoli for $26 million over 2 more seasons would not be a particularly happy thought right now. I'm glad Ben & Co. took their time this winter in going over his medicals and succeeded in bringing his price down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from txxsoxfan1. Show txxsoxfan1's posts

In response to bosox0489's comment:

This guy is stiff as a carp. How in the hell with a swing like that will he ever hit the GD ball.For the love of god dont let this guy near the bat rack.

stevebosox04  since1946 semper fi

I just hope they don't re-sign him after this year!  Take your strike outs elsewhere.  He can take Salty with him too.  Time for a new catcher and 1st baseman.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Everybody should look at Napoli's career splits by month.  August is always his worst month, and September / October is by far his best.  He'll heat up when we need him to, and in the meantime he still gets on base 35% of the time.

August OPS = .757

Sept / Oct = 1.001

A fifth hitter walking? And remember, he is getting older and he has a hip condition. There's no guarantee that he will revert to his career splits. If so, why isn't he hitting home runs like he has in all previous years?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

When we signed him, I figured we'd have a solid hitter but weak glove.  He's been the opposite -- weak  hitter,  solid (if unspectacular) glove.

I wouldn't bench him but I would drop him a few spots. To me, it's flat-out amazing that Papi is having the year he's having with Napoli batting behind him. I can't imagine he'd see a single decent pitch to hit. Maybe go with Salty/Gomes at No. 5, drop Napoli to 7th or 8th and see what happens.

Maybe he needs to shave that damn beard. When you're in a slump like this,  you try anything,  including wearing women's underwear.

I certainly wouldn't want to see this, especially if he doesn't shave off the damn beard.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Napoli out of lineup today.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Napoli definitely in a slump - a glaringly obvious slump - but hitters go through slumps on regular basis and work their way out of them.  We've fortunately had good offense from rest of lineup and can afford Napoli some time - but the real question is whether his slump is due to the hip issue. 

He just recently had an MRI on his hip and it was fine. The Sox have done a couple throughout the season.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/08/07/mri-reveals-no-change-in-mike-napolis-hip-condition/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Everyone can rejoice -- he's not in the lineup tonight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

He just recently had an MRI on his hip and it was fine. The Sox have done a couple throughout the season.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/08/07/mri-reveals-no-change-in-mike-napolis-hip-condition/

Well that's good news.  Doesn't mean he doesn't have some discomfort though, that could affect his swing.  Glad he is being rested tonight.  Probably just what he needs right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Not sure I agree.

Occasional Power....

low BA...

lots of K's.....

With you there.

I think my post may have misinterperted as supporting Napoli....I also think he needs to be moved down in the order....My post was to say that if the Sox thought they were getting a high Avg, OBP, 30HR guy, then that was wishful thinking, because he career Stats do not support that. I can agree by the Stats provided his HR #s are down, but as I noted his 2B #s are up....His K #s and his OPS are not dramtically different then 2010 or 2012, with again 2011 being an outlier.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

I certainly wouldn't want to see this, especially if he doesn't shave off the damn beard.  

He wouldn't look as good as Tim Robbins, I suppose.