can't afford to play Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: can't afford to play Napoli

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

If Napoli isnt what the Sox hoped then the Sox were hoping with wishful thinking...Mike napoli is performing exactly like Mike Napoli has always performed..

Not sure I agree.

Occasional Power....

He's topped 20 HR five times, topping out at 30, and in all but one of those years (including the 30 HR) he had fewer AB's than the 383 he has currently this season. I think it's safe to say he has not provided as much power as could have been expected.

low BA...

It should be noted that he hit .320 the year before last...however his career BA is .257, so I guess that is pretty in line with this season. The OPS being lower (career mark .852) is more important and more disappointing.

lots of K's.....

With you there.

flapjack - I didn't read this before posting mine. I think our points are identical.

I think my post may have misinterperted as supporting Napoli....I also think he needs to be moved down in the order....My post was to say that if the Sox thought they were getting a high Avg, OBP, 30HR guy, then that was wishful thinking, because he career Stats do not support that. I can agree by the Stats provided his HR #s are down, but as I noted his 2B #s are up....His K #s and his OPS are not dramtically different then 2010 or 2012, with again 2011 being an outlier.

Please don't compare his K's from this year to 2010. He had less strikeouts and 75 more at bats. You can't look at the raw number, but the percentage, and his percentage this year is the worst in his career.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

[QUOTE]

Everybody should look at Napoli's career splits by month.  August is always his worst month, and September / October is by far his best.  He'll heat up when we need him to, and in the meantime he still gets on base 35% of the time.

August OPS = .757

Sept / Oct = 1.001

A fifth hitter walking? And remember, he is getting older and he has a hip condition. There's no guarantee that he will revert to his career splits. If so, why isn't he hitting home runs like he has in all previous years?

[/QUOTE]

He has 3 fewer HRs than he had this time last year.  Then he hit 7 in the last 16 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Everybody should look at Napoli's career splits by month.  August is always his worst month, and September / October is by far his best.  He'll heat up when we need him to, and in the meantime he still gets on base 35% of the time.

August OPS = .757

Sept / Oct = 1.001

A fifth hitter walking? And remember, he is getting older and he has a hip condition. There's no guarantee that he will revert to his career splits. If so, why isn't he hitting home runs like he has in all previous years?

Exactly. Just because Napoli hit 1.001 in previous Septembers does not mean he will do it this year. In fact, IMO he is more likely to produce the abyssmal results he has damaged the team with since May.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

August OPS = .757

Sept / Oct = 1.001

Exactly. Just because Napoli hit 1.001 in previous Septembers does not mean he will do it this year. In fact, IMO he is more likely to produce the abyssmal results he has damaged the team with since May.

Pumpsie...I don't know if the team has done the following and had a hitting coach study Napoli and give an opinion on the problem. Is Nap late on pitches because of a physical issue or maybe his eyesight ? I mean, whiff, whiff, whiff and then the Blind Chipmunk finds an acorn and he connects for a HR but we can't depend upon the inconsistency.

Maybe it's a simple matter of lost confidence. I would get an accomplished softball pitcher to do some batting practice as ball about twice the size of a baseball & see if he connects solidly or whiffs. But pulverizing the softball might boost his confidence.

Dunno ??? Anyone got suggestions ???

5. This post has been removed.