CAN'T MAKE THIS UP, heard on the news this morning, "BIG PAPI'.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: CAN'T MAKE THIS UP, heard on the news this morning,

As much as everyone, including me, has appreciated Ortiz over the years I do not think that the Sox should financially enter into anything more than a one year contract at a time with him.

He is at least 38 years old and is very much a risk every single year to fall off the face of the earth performance-wise.   $15-17 million a year as long as he does well is fine, but the thought of paying him that much to maybe not even be able to play is too large of a gamble with the team's annual salary limits.

Remember how so many pieople were upset with Schilling getting 8M for the year that you was unable to pitch.  Ortiz is going to have a contract that will be twice as big.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let him play out the year and offer him a Q.O.

If he accepts it, thats a one year deal for him at 39 years old (I'd rather go year to year with him until he can't play)

I doubt someone would give up a draft pick for him at his age, but if I'm wrong it would still give some value to the Sox.

I have a hard time seeing him turning down a Q.O. because at this point he is getting a slightly less AAV than a Q.O. and he will carry more risk every year from here on out. 

The way I look at it the Q.O. gives us an automatic (likely) extra year with papi so I wouldn't even stress about it at this point if I was the F.O. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As much as everyone, including me, has appreciated Ortiz over the years I do not think that the Sox should financially enter into anything more than a one year contract at a time with him.

He is at least 38 years old and is very much a risk every single year to fall off the face of the earth performance-wise.   $15-17 million a year as long as he does well is fine, but the thought of paying him that much to maybe not even be able to play is too large of a gamble with the team's annual salary limits.

Remember how so many pieople were upset with Schilling getting 8M for the year that you was unable to pitch.  Ortiz is going to have a contract that will be twice as big.

[/QUOTE]B I N G O  DAT !!!......   Now hang on as you will be demonized like B-806 & SOFTLAW  !!!    I think that Ben C. has this all figured out !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"38 going on 45?"

He looks more like 38 going on 35.

[/QUOTE]

ah Moonslav! the origional voice of reason. couldn't agree more with you man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"38 going on 45?"

He looks more like 38 going on 35.

[/QUOTE]

ah Moonslav! the origional voice of reason. couldn't agree more with you man.

[/QUOTE]Yes, goooooood MILK SHAKES !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

LET ME REITERATE THIS!!!!  Here is WHAT PAPI SAID IN SI THE OTHER DAY!!!!:

“We are talking,” he said. “I don’t think there’s going to be any complication. I just want to get one more year extension. . . . My agents and the front office, they’ve been talking, and I think at some point we are going to get it done.”

Yes Ortiz said other things about an extension but it was hardly horrible stuff.  Relax....the troll is trying to work his magic....stop feeding him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

“We are talking,” he said. “I don’t think there’s going to be any complication. I just want to get one more year extension. . . . My agents and the front office, they’ve been talking, and I think at some point we are going to get it done.”

Yes Ortiz said other things about an extension but it was hardly horrible stuff.  Relax....the troll is trying to work his magic....stop feeding him.

[/QUOTE] No Magic at all ........ Just reporting todays news.......  One thing for sure, I think that we can all agree, PAPI has never gone quietly over anything !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] No Magic at all ........ Just reporting todays news.......  One thing for sure, I think that we can all agree, PAPI has never gone quietly over anything !!

[/QUOTE]

Looks like you two have a lot in common.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

At age 38 going on 45 is demanding a new long term contract OR he will move on  !!!!   Well, I will say that PAPI is a victim of POOR TIMING as his contracts have always come on the heels of a good season, but baseball being a business ownership/front office are reluctant to oblige because of age/twilight of whats left.........  What say you ???

Is there a video or sound bite of him saying this?  I doubt Ortiz is going to upset John Henry and company.  He had a great season but he still has to fullfill another year on his contract. If he has another season like he just had, the only team which will be able to afford him will be the Yankees. I doubt the sox will get emotional and discuss a contract extension before the all star break.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

A-Rod comes back on the books, and he will almost guarantee hit his incentives. He needs 6 HRS. Which makes it a 30 million dollar whack. Yanks might be able to afford Ortiz, they will pay, on Luxury Tax again, and a 1st rounder.

Besides that team is full of DH's already.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

When I see posts by a guy who has obviously been chewing on his caps lock key, I try to stay away. Sorry, late, got the flu, and as my daddy always said, "son, people who speak like that should be avoided."

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

A couple of ways to go with Papi. (1) Offer a two-year deal including 2014, the second year being contingent upon plate appearances in the first year.  Or, (2) Give him a QO after 2014.

I would not give him a third year unless it's as a QO.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

First of all, where is the link that says he is asking for more than a one-year extension.

Secondly, I would be happy giving him an automatic second year extension if he continues to have 520 plate appearances per year and gets 28 HR and 95 RBI. If he continues to reach this level, his extension should automatically kick in from year to year. Let's say that one year, he falls off 450 PA and 20 HR, then the contract extension does not kick in and he has one remaining year.... obviously.

The guy carried the 2013 WS.

Papi seems much happier on a two-year contract. While he can still produce, why not offer it to him as an automatic extension?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like you two have a lot in common.......

[/QUOTE]Let me reiterate, Slick ........   W E E I had a report from WBZ4 today saying that "PAPI WANTS LONG TERM OR HE WILL BE MOVING ON"  !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Oh Bill ...

I see your true colors

True colors

Your true colors are shining through ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When I see posts by a guy who has obviously been chewing on his caps lock key, I try to stay away. Sorry, late, got the flu, and as my daddy always said, "son, people who speak like that should be avoided."

[/QUOTE]Easy there SON......  After 181 posts, you have not been here long enough to judge/know/ or understand B-806 & his DAD !!!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh Bill ...

I see your true colors

True colors

[/QUOTE]And Mr. SPACEMAN,  And I thought that we understood each other ???Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

It's a new week and Bill is back again doing what he does best, baiting, trolling, and playing the victim.

Papi has said that he'd like to be extended one more year.  That's hardly a "long term contract" given the fact that he's already committed for one year. 

What he's doing is consistent with what players do.  He's trying to ride the wave of a good year - and I have no problem with that.  If there's anyone on the team who's deserving of an extension in light of what he did last year it's Papi.  His contract is what it was for 2013 and he overperformed his contract, at least in the post-season.  A one year "extension  reward" is in order.  Pay the guy. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh Bill ...

I see your true colors

True colors

[/QUOTE]And Mr. SPACEMAN,  And I thought that we understood each other ???Cool

[/QUOTE]

We do Bill.  We do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:
    [QUOTE]

here's what i say.  give Mr. Ortiz a blank contract and let him fill it in.  whatever numbers he fills it in with i am completely fine with.

[/QUOTE]

That's smart business sense.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for noticing.

guess i'm not smart enought to overpay jeter for the past 10 years and renegotiate a contract with arod for more $$ when no other teams are bidding.

my bad.

stalk much?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Gordon Edes article on ESPN.com:

"As long as they keep offering me a job and I keep doing what I'm supposed to do and the relationship keeps on building up, I'm going to be there. Hopefully, I won't have to go and wear another uniform."

Burton then asked what would happen if the team didn't offer him another long-term deal.

"Time to move on," he said.

Could he really envision himself in another uniform?

"I haven't seen it but if I have to, I've got no choice, I'm not going to quit. As long as I keep hitting the ball the way I have, I've got to keep on giving it a try."

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts