CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER..........

ON THE NIGHTS THAT THE OTHER PITCHER HAS OUR #, THEN WE HAVE TO USE OUR SPEED TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.....  5 HITS ??  NO BUNTS ?? ANY STEALS ?? HOW ABOUT HIT & RUN ??  WE HAVE TO MUCH SPEED & HITTING TO BE SHUT OUT !!!  WHAT SAY YOU ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER..........

i say 'good pitching beats good hitting.'
    i also say the SOX will probably be shut out again before the season ends.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I say this Bill. Jimmy Shields brought his A game to the trop last night. He had one helluva change up that had our boys stymied. I give credit where credit is due. that said, can't say we didn't have our chances. how many did we leave on base last night? we could have scored some runs cept youk had a bad night and hit into 2 inning ending double plays. I thought that Timmy pitched a good game and just didn't get any run support.

I feel bad for Tampa Bay because they deserve to have more than 20k show up at their ballpark. I tip my cap to Joe Madden for being able to field a very competitive team and they are not going to simply go away. I hope that Josh can return the favor tonight and bring his A game and even up the series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER..........:
    [QUOTE]   ON THE NIGHTS THAT THE OTHER PITCHER HAS OUR #, THEN WE HAVE TO USE OUR SPEED TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.....  5 HITS ??  NO BUNTS ?? ANY STEALS ?? HOW ABOUT HIT & RUN ??  WE HAVE TO MUCH SPEED & HITTING TO BE SHUT OUT !!!  WHAT SAY YOU ?????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox are not typically going to bunt. Pedroia tried one in the first, and did a terrible job at it.

As far as the steals go, Shields is king of the pickoffs this year.  He has a league leading 7 pick offs, with no steals against him and two caught stealing.  He's a tough one to run on this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Sox are going to struggle in this series.  Last night was no aberration...their bats got shut down.  Law of averages states that this was coming.

Need to hope that the Yanks lose.  Whomever posted a week ago that the Rays were done just doesn't watch baseball.  This is definitely a three team race in the AL East.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I can deal with a 9-1 record in the last 10 games.I'll take that all season long.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I thought after Drew singled to lead off an inning (5th maybe) that they might try to bunt with Marco to give Jake and Pedey a chance to drive him in.  Instead Scutaro swung at the first pitch and hit a fly ball to center.  It was that kind of approach that bugged me most last night, obviously Shields had it going, but to me that is all the more reason to do everything you can to work a count, make him throw more pitches, etc...   Too much swinging early in the count.

I had that feeling in the first of "if they don't get him early they might not get him" and that is exactly what happened.  Youk was a 1 man rally killer last night.

Oh well, 6-1 on the road trip so far is pretty good.  I never feel good about games in Tampa.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER..........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER.......... : The Red Sox are not typically going to bunt. Pedroia tried one in the first, and did a terrible job at it. As far as the steals go, Shields is king of the pickoffs this year.  He has a league leading 7 pick offs, with no steals against him and two caught stealing.  He's a tough one to run on this year.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]  OK... GOOD POINTS !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

in responding to thesemenarecowards, i just want to say that i agree with all you say.
    what you are suggesting is called field managing; unfortunately, the SOX don't have a field manager.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]I thought after Drew singled to lead off an inning (5th maybe) that they might try to bunt with Marco to give Jake and Pedey a chance to drive him in.  Instead Scutaro swung at the first pitch and hit a fly ball to center.  It was that kind of approach that bugged me most last night, obviously Shields had it going, but to me that is all the more reason to do everything you can to work a count, make him throw more pitches, etc...   Too much swinging early in the count. I had that feeling in the first of "if they don't get him early they might not get him" and that is exactly what happened.  Youk was a 1 man rally killer last night. Oh well, 6-1 on the road trip so far is pretty good.  I never feel good about games in Tampa.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I do think that they figure the Rays know the Sox sit on the first pitch so Shields would be tossing strikes.  They tried to jump on them, but just didn't have it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]in responding to thesemenarecowards, i just want to say that i agree with all you say. what you are suggesting is called field managing; unfortunately, the SOX don't have a field manager.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Except that what you and TMAC are agreeing only has only a little merit.  Yes, Scutaro could have given up an out to move the runner into scoring position.  But, hardly any manager in the modern game would have had scutaro bunt there.  Blame Bill James, whatever.  But with no outs, man on first, in a 0-0 game, and Scutaro, who has been swinging a wicked hot bat, at the plate, the numbers clearly say hitting away is what to do.  It doesn't matter that Shields had been pitching well.  In fact, with his change-up as devastating as it was (set-up by a good fastball), Scutaro, whether on his own or with directive from the bench, gambled on being able to jump on a first pitch fastball.  Didn't work out.  But to suggest that Francona is a bad "field manager" for not going all 1960's NL small ball in the 5th inning of a scoreless game is not so strong of an arguement.  You seriously would be hard pressed to find a ML manager who would bunt in that particular situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER.......... : Except that what you and TMAC are agreeing only has only a little merit.  Yes, Scutaro could have given up an out to move the runner into scoring position.  But, hardly any manager in the modern game would have had scutaro bunt there.  Blame Bill James, whatever.  But with no outs, man on first, in a 0-0 game, and Scutaro, who has been swinging a wicked hot bat, at the plate, the numbers clearly say hitting away is what to do.  It doesn't matter that Shields had been pitching well.  In fact, with his change-up as devastating as it was (set-up by a good fastball), Scutaro, whether on his own or with directive from the bench, gambled on being able to jump on a first pitch fastball.  Didn't work out.  But to suggest that Francona is a bad "field manager" for not going all 1960's NL small ball in the 5th inning of a scoreless game is not so strong of an arguement.  You seriously would be hard pressed to find a ML manager who would bunt in that particular situation.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]  SPACEMAN..... WHAT WE NEEDED TO FACTOR IN, IS THAT TIMMY "THE SHUTOUT/6 RUN MAN" COULD NOT BE CALLED ON TO "HOLD THE FORT/SHUTOUT" THRU OUT A   0-0 GAME FOR LONG.......  I FEEL BETTER WHEN WE SPOT TIMMY A 4 RUN LEAD EARLY IN THE GAME......OTHERWISE, IT CAN GET UGLY LATER ON !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER.......... :   SPACEMAN..... WHAT WE NEEDED TO FACTOR IN, IS THAT TIMMY "THE SHUTOUT/6 RUN MAN" COULD NOT BE CALLED ON TO "HOLD THE FORT/SHUTOUT" THRU OUT A   0-0 GAME FOR LONG.......  I FEEL BETTER WHEN WE SPOT TIMMY A 4 RUN LEAD EARLY IN THE GAME......OTHERWISE, IT CAN GET UGLY LATER ON !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

I agree Bill.  I feel better too.  And this actually feeds in to the line of thinking of Tito in the situation in question:  Having hot bat Marco Scutaro waste an out just to move the runner to second, with Wake on the mound, is sort of trading a potential crooked number for scratching-out-a-run.  With Wake on the mound, as you say, you want to get a big inning or two, cuz he aint tossing shutouts.  And big innings is what the Red Sox do.  Changing strategies in that situation would be desparate enough, but with Wake on the hill, kinda stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Shields all the way.  He owned us. He was our daddy last night, much as we did not like it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CAN'T WIN THEM ALL, HOWEVER.......... : Except that what you and TMAC are agreeing only has only a little merit.  Yes, Scutaro could have given up an out to move the runner into scoring position.  But, hardly any manager in the modern game would have had scutaro bunt there.  Blame Bill James, whatever.  But with no outs, man on first, in a 0-0 game, and Scutaro, who has been swinging a wicked hot bat, at the plate, the numbers clearly say hitting away is what to do.  It doesn't matter that Shields had been pitching well.  In fact, with his change-up as devastating as it was (set-up by a good fastball), Scutaro, whether on his own or with directive from the bench, gambled on being able to jump on a first pitch fastball.  Didn't work out.  But to suggest that Francona is a bad "field manager" for not going all 1960's NL small ball in the 5th inning of a scoreless game is not so strong of an arguement.  You seriously would be hard pressed to find a ML manager who would bunt in that particular situation.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Very well stated.  Let me add only that the Sox were on the road.  You have to play for more than one run, especially when it was Shields vs. Wakefield. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomjoad544. Show tomjoad544's posts

Agree- but Youk hitting into two DPs did not help us.  Youk and Pedroia are not hiitng as they should.  One has a screw in his foot and I do not expect him to hit tell next year.  Is the move to third hurting Youk?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Agree- but Youk hitting into two DPs did not help us.  Youk and Pedroia are not hiitng as they should.  One has a screw in his foot and I do not expect him to hit tell next year.  Is the move to third hurting Youk?
    Posted by tomjoad544[/QUOTE]

interesting.  his struggle at the plate has now extended long enough that we maybe shoudl entertain such notions.  No doubt, the hot corner takes a very different toll on the body than 1B.  Hard to imagine that a grinder like Youk couldn't handle that difference physically, but who knows?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Sox got beat by a good pitcher.  Even so, had one or two of those balls that were hit right at an infielder for double plays found a hole on either side, the complexion of the game would have shifted a little and given the Red Sox more of a fightin' chance.  In this alternative baseball universe there would be little or no talk today about Youk changing his spot in the order. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I don't think any other manager could have done anything to win last night's game. Shields was on fire. WAke pitched well enough to win, but the hitters were simply overmatched.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think any other manager could have done anything to win last night's game. Shields was on fire. WAke pitched well enough to win, but the hitters were simply overmatched.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]  GOOD POINT.....  JUST AS BECKETT WAS "HOT" LAST NIGHT !!!   GO SOX, THEO & TITO TOO !!!