Cardinals Will Not Pay Much for S. Drew

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Cardinals Will Not Pay Much for S. Drew

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I'd love to see a big 2 year contract offer to Drew, about 25M from someone other than the Red Sox. No way I make a QO to S. Drew unless I know there's another stupid GM like Cherry who will offer him a bigger contract he'd then take. 

Just from a life philosophy, that's pretty weak.  That you wouldn't do something unless 'you know'?  Not interested in taking calculated risks in life?  Those are the most interesting things in life.

But that's not the important part.

This is.  We could wager on it if you like.  I say he gets a QO and declines.  Loser adds a tag line that says the winner knows more about BB than the loser.

Interested?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I'd love to see a big 2 year contract offer to Drew, about 25M from someone other than the Red Sox. No way I make a QO to S. Drew unless I know there's another stupid GM like Cherry who will offer him a bigger contract he'd then take. 

You know the Tigers asked for Drew first and were rebuffed and settled on Igelias.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Good. Then Drew won't go to the Cardinals. No one seems concerned about clutch hitting. I guess they all play baseball, and it's so much easier for them to do. I'll take a guy whose stats aren't stellar but hits in clutch situations over a guy that hits really well when it doesn't matter anyday. Wasn't that the biggest complaint about ARod? You know, besides steroids.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

This is.  We could wager on it if you like.  I say he gets a QO and declines.  Loser adds a tag line that says the winner knows more about BB than the loser.

I didn't say he wouldn't get a QO. I've said it's dubious. If the front offices doesn't have sources that confirm he'll turn down the QO, they are fools to make it. My point is quite clear. Unless I'm sure Drew will turn it down, I'm not making it. Easy call. No need to risk on a big liability for less than top draft compensaton. The Red Sox already have draft picks high enough not to foolishly take that risk.  

Ahahahahaha.  You've got your weasel words in place early this year.  He'll definitely receive and turn down a QO, IMO.  Why not "go on record" in your own words with a definitive prediction instead of your typical hedging BS that we all know you will manipulate later to make yourself sound correct regardless of the outcome?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"another stupid GM like Cherry "

You were condemning Cherry the day he started, out of some weird Theo bloodline thesis. 

Cherry made the huge Dodgers trade you wouldn't have had the stones for and howled about at the time like a lost binkee, and almost every move he has made worked out. 

Even Drew has done well over the course of a year, and was only signed for a one year deal. 

The Peavy trade was made when Buch's future health was very uncertain. 

We have a chance to win a ring this year and if Peavy ends up being part of it, the Iggy trade was well worth it. 

Ha why even argue with a know it all armchair GM like yourself who is just now getting over his crush on Matt Kemp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nice link, Burrito.

I like this comment:l

In 2008 with Arizona, Drew hit .291 and posted career-highs in home runs (21) and RBI (67). However, he has not been able to match those numbers since then.

Ha ha...he did match the 67 RBI this year, and in 28 less games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

No way the Tigers asked for Drew first, simply look at what the White Sox ended up with. Drew's a high paid old lemon. Red Sox could have added more, kept Iglesias and their top prospects that weren't blocked, and sent the cash with Drew, and got a pitcher I wouldn't have paid a dime for, Peavy. 

The Sox wouldn't give up Drew. The felt Drew's bat and solid defense where better Igelias if they were trying to win this season. I mean it is well documented just look it up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I didn't say he wouldn't get a QO. I've said it's dubious. If the front offices doesn't have sources that confirm he'll turn down the QO, they are fools to make it. My point is quite clear. Unless I'm sure Drew will turn it down, I'm not making it. Easy call. No need to risk on a big liability for less than top draft compensaton. The Red Sox already have draft picks high enough not to foolishly take that risk.  

Interested?

I want to say the next stupid GM go BJ Upton and Carl Crawford for S. Drew. Drew's games started and finished were impressive, only because of his pitiful track record. 

Let's do this. I say S. Drew's 2014 and 2015 OPS is closer to .750 than to .800, and he doesn't start and finish more than 220 of the 280 plus work load that anyone of his modest talents and aging skillset must start and finish to remotely justify a QO base over 2 years. Divide by 2 on the QO one year.

Aside from the contract, the acquiring team will lose a young talent slot. I'm not on the inside, or I'd know for sure. Based on what I know, I'm not offering Drew a QO. Napoli and Ellsbury will take care of enough on the QO draft compensation front. Not worth taking a chance on being stuck with that embarrassing contract offer of 9.5M for 2013, for yet another year. Get rid of the guy. I'm no fan of Bogaerts as the long term starting SS, but it's management's bent and I'm delighted to see that over bringing that prima donna mercenary back. Down right embarrassing the way they made reactionary personnel moves to defend the contract offer to Drew.

Let's both hope the Tigers and Red Sox play, as I'd love to see the player that this Board said "can't hit" get his shot at the GM who put him the doghouse to assuage S. Drew's confidence and defend the contract offer huge value mistake.  

Just curious how you can add this new "games he starts and finishes" thing your into now. Thats meaningless. You've done that with Papi as of late. So what if Papi plays 8 innings gets 3 hits 1hr 2RBI and is pulled for a PR. Hes played in 137 games. Why should that count against anyone unless hes pulled because he got hurt? Thats just regular baseball strategy by all managers.

We never agree on Drew so Im not even going to bother going there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Good. Then Drew won't go to the Cardinals. No one seems concerned about clutch hitting. I guess they all play baseball, and it's so much easier for them to do. I'll take a guy whose stats aren't stellar but hits in clutch situations over a guy that hits really well when it doesn't matter anyday. Wasn't that the biggest complaint about ARod? You know, besides steroids.

as our beloved poster Bill-806 would say..."Thats a Bingo!"

Drew is calm, cool, and collected in the most clutch situations. Sure, hes not come through a few times. Happens to everyone. Hes come through with some very big hits this year late in games. Even when we ended upo not winning, Drew did his part and got on base more times than not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Boy, talk about a red herring.  Who cares what the Cardinals offer Drew?  Right now Drew was and is a smart acquisition by Ben Cherington.  In 2012 Iglesias was the heir apparent to the SS slot if he could only hit a little, but in fact he seemed not to be able to hit at all.  So Ben paid $9.5M to get a SS who today has a WAR of 3.2--compared to Iglesias's WAR of 0.4.  But Ben hedged his bet by signing Drew to a one year contract, which mean Iglesias could easily have become the regular Sox SS in 2014 or sooner if injuries gave him a shot.  As it turned out, Iglesias was hitting and snagged the 3B slot after Drew returned.  Then two key things happened.  The Sox were defintely contenders by the end of July, and Iglesias stopped hitting in July.  Plus Drew had proven to be a very reliable SS in the field, to say nothing of Bogaerts, who can hit, standing in the wings to be the next Sox SS. 

While I personally wanted to keep Iglesias simply because he is great fun to watch at SS regardless of his hitting, the deal for Peavy made all kinds of sense.  Since the deal, Drew's OPS has been above .850, which is terrific for a SS, especially one who fields with such consistency.  Peavy has definitely helped the rotation.  Middlebrooks has returned to 3B and also hit well with an OPS since returning over .800.  The Sox finished tied with the Cardinals with the most wins in MLB, 97, and with the home field advantage in the playoffs.   

Given all of he above, redsoxfireman has decided to change the subject and discuss Drew's future value to another team and ignore the fact that retaining Drew or not is entirely Cherington's choice because he does have options, most notably Bogaerts at SS.  And let's not forget that Detroit's old SS, suspended for using PED's, also has a much higher WAR than Iglesias.  So next year Iglesias might find himself in a UIF role, which I hope does not happen. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Boy, talk about a red herring.  Who cares what the Cardinals offer Drew?  Right now Drew was and is a smart acquisition by Ben Cherington.  In 2012 Iglesias was the heir apparent to the SS slot if he could only hit a little, but in fact he seemed not to be able to hit at all.  So Ben paid $9.5M to get a SS who today has a WAR of 3.2--compared to Iglesias's WAR of 0.4.  But Ben hedged his bet by signing Drew to a one year contract, which mean Iglesias could easily have become the regular Sox SS in 2014 or sooner if injuries gave him a shot.  As it turned out, Iglesias was hitting and snagged the 3B slot after Drew returned.  Then two key things happened.  The Sox were defintely contenders by the end of July, and Iglesias stopped hitting in July.  Plus Drew had proven to be a very reliable SS in the field, to say nothing of Bogaerts, who can hit, standing in the wings to be the next Sox SS. 

While I personally wanted to keep Iglesias simply because he is great fun to watch at SS regardless of his hitting, the deal for Peavy made all kinds of sense.  Since the deal, Drew's OPS has been above .850, which is terrific for a SS, especially one who fields with such consistency.  Peavy has definitely helped the rotation.  Middlebrooks has returned to 3B and also hit well with an OPS since returning over .800.  The Sox finished tied with the Cardinals with the most wins in MLB, 97, and with the home field advantage in the playoffs.   

Given all of he above, redsoxfireman has decided to change the subject and discuss Drew's future value to another team and ignore the fact that retaining Drew or not is entirely Cherington's choice because he does have options, most notably Bogaerts at SS.  And let's not forget that Detroit's old SS, suspended for using PED's, also has a much higher WAR than Iglesias.  So next year Iglesias might find himself in a UIF role, which I hope does not happen. 

Iggy has been pulled multiple times late in games by Leyland this year to be PH for. Come to your own conclusions.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Why would we care right now about whether or not Drew gets signed next year?

I think I will wait until the playoffs are over.

For some reason right now that interests me more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I'll take a guy who hits 275-280 over a  clutch guy who can't hit lefties

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Iggy has been pulled multiple times late in games by Leyland this year to be PH for. Come to your own conclusions.

[/QUOTE]

I know you've been a torch-bearer for what a great trade this was right from the beginning, but at least don't start to be disingenous about it.

Iggy has been averaging >3PA/game ever since he got traded with 148 PA in 46 games.  He's hitting .259 with an OPS of .654.  Not setting the world on fire, but given the fact that he IS a light-hitting SS and the Tigers have power off the bench I'm not surprised that he gets PH for occasionally. 

Peralta is ready to start the PO's in LF for the Tigers while Iggy is starting at SS so someone in that  organization appreciates him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

[QUOTE]

As usual. DAD & Bill-806 concur with SOFTY.....   Howevaa, only as far as Ben giving Drew a  Q O as a free agent .......     We do concur that 10mil was a lot of $$$$$ when we signed him last winter.......  At that time, Ben was caught between a rock & a hard place as Ben really did not know what the "kids" would bring in the spring of 2013.....  Was IGGY going to be ready ??? Was Iggy going to hit ????       Yes the glove was ready but it was a total surprise of what he brought to the offense early on......  That being said, and Im not sure what he has done for Detroit, but IGGY reminds me of the type of player that "plays-up" based on the players & events around him .......  I hated to see IGGY go and he will be interesting to watch for years to come, but it can be said that BEN C. has done one heck of a job building this club !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Did you actually contribute to a thread and make sense as well???? 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I know you've been a torch-bearer for what a great trade this was right from the beginning, but at least don't start to be disingenous about it.

Iggy has been averaging >3PA/game ever since he got traded with 148 PA in 46 games.  He's hitting .259 with an OPS of .654.  Not setting the world on fire, but given the fact that he IS a light-hitting SS and the Tigers have power off the bench I'm not surprised that he gets PH for occasionally. 

Peralta is ready to start the PO's in LF for the Tigers while Iggy is starting at SS so someone in that  organization appreciates him. 

I wanst trying to make this into an Iggy thread, just simply following up on the post I was responding to that Drew is the kind of hitter you want when the games on the line. Clutch, if you will. I simply said come to your own conclusions. When Leyland PH for him late in games multiple times, that says something to me. He knows this kid isnt a legit .280-.300 hitter year in and out. He knows he will probably get a GB from him rather than a hard line drive or a HR. Im not being disingenous about anything, just realistic. Would you rather have Iggy or Drew up with the game on the line and down a run or 2?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

S5,

Absolutely nothing wrong with defending Iglesias and the idea of not trading him for Peavy.  He is beyond good, even brilliant in the field.  But signing Drew in the offseason was not a bad idea, which redsoxfireman would have us believe.  As for the future, I still think Iglesias for Peavy was a good trade, but believe the opposite can be argued, assuming one's preferred infield for 2014 would have been Bogaerts at 3B, Iglesias at SS, and Middlebrooks at 1B. 

But for right now, this season, I think it is unarguable the current lineup--Drew with his WAR of 3.2 at SS--is best for the Sox. 

I also think the Tigers, as you say, might be willing to move Peralta to the outfield. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As usual. DAD & Bill-806 concur with SOFTY.....   Howevaa, only as far as Ben giving Drew a  Q O as a free agent .......     We do concur that 10mil was a lot of $$$$$ when we signed him last winter.......  At that time, Ben was caught between a rock & a hard place as Ben really did not know what the "kids" would bring in the spring of 2013.....  Was IGGY going to be ready ??? Was Iggy going to hit ????       Yes the glove was ready but it was a total surprise of what he brought to the offense early on......  That being said, and Im not sure what he has done for Detroit, but IGGY reminds me of the type of player that "plays-up" based on the players & events around him .......  I hated to see IGGY go and he will be interesting to watch for years to come, but it can be said that BEN C. has done one heck of a job building this club !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Did you actually contribute to a thread and make sense as well???? 

[/QUOTE] Or SHUCKS Kingfish,  This must be my lucky day as coming from you this must be a "compliment" !!!Cool

[/QUOTE]

You're welcome.

Sections
Shortcuts