Cardinals Will Not Pay Much for S. Drew

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Cardinals Will Not Pay Much for S. Drew

First of all, if Boston wins it all this year at the same time these upcoming 2013 Free agents hit well in the post season, they are all going to get more than 2 to 3 plus years contract.

Drew is not coming back.  He is the first guy I think that he will be easily gone.  Of course Drew want to remain as a Red Sox member as well I do too, but he know that Boston rather to give him another one year deal at the same time Boston hope he can teach Bogaerts on how to become an all around SS for the future.  That is not what Drew wants to do.  

He already show to everyone that he had a good year, and want to look for his best big fat contract of his life!!  Meaning he ll try to look for three plus years deal. 

If I had a choice between Drew or Bogaerts, I would pick Drew easily cuz he is already capable to be top 10 all around SS for the next many years.  For Bogaerts, we all do not know what kind of a player he will be from now to the next five years.  But the negative side, can Drew stays healthy for the next three years??  That is my concern.   Still look at Ellsbury, he missed alot of times, and still he is a worthy player to the club.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I like Stephen Drew and would love to have him next year on a one year deal as insurance for Bogey and WMB, but I cannot see him getting a QO. QO will be around 14MM, which is way too much for him.....if we did it he would accept it, becuase if he didnt the loss of draft pick would keep down the totla AAV any other team would offer him....he would know getting 1 year at 14mm is better than getting 2 at 20.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Might bring back Furcal. Probably around 5 million. Drew could be a possiblity. Only positiion in their Minors where they are thin.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

The Sox wouldn't give up Drew. The felt Drew's bat and solid defense where better Igelias if they were trying to win this season.

I think that sums up your laughable comment. Nearly 200 million a year labor budgets shouldn't involve "trying to win this season".

No, they felt that they would take yet another stab at a slugging SS and made an embarrassing 9.5M contract offer to Drew. When it turned out that Iglesias was OPS'ing as well or better, they put the PR department to work on Iglesias being a head case that needed more minors work. They  then started to pivot around the assuaging of the Drew contract by making roster moves to prop it up. The Iglesias and Middlebrooks demotions (Middlebrooks was just a DL and rehab case) and trade were purely reactionary to the pride of middle management.

I really want to see the Tigers and Red Sox, and watch Red Sox management PR work overtime on Drew holding the place for Bogaerts and Iglesias being expendable. Since 1967, I've never seen a SS with the fielding genius of Iglesias. Drew and Bogaerts will never do anything in their careers to match that impact, as it is that rare. Unless Iglesias meets an act of God or severe permanent athletic injury, this prideful near sighted move will be exposed as the years go by.  

Iglesias did not handling being demoted well. He had to be benched. He is young so immature acts are excusable. You don't actually make a point here, which is typically softy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

, I would pick Drew easily cuz he is already capable to be top 10 all around SS for the next many years.  For Bogaerts, we all do not know what kind of a player he will be from now to the next five years.  But the negative side, can Drew stays healthy for the next three years??  That is my concern.

Contradition which makes the case against Drew's signing in the first place.

Top 10 all around SS in the AL isn't even one of the better league SS's.

It's not a question. Drew can't stay healthy over the next year. He missed time beyond the concussion, yet his 117 games started and finished is like the max for this guy in the last 3 years. 

But who cares about his fragile constitution, no value in uloading 10M a year vs. the alternatives. Whoever gurantees a bunch of money to S. Drew will regret it. 

Actually Drew was third in OPS, fifth in RBI, and 9th in home runs. That sounds like a top 10 SS in baseball.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Drew was paid too much this year.

Drew had a good year this year.

Anyone got anything else?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Iglesias was paid way less this year.

Iglesias had a better year this year.

Anyone got anything else.

Hey Softy......quick question and this is not an insult or anything of the such AT ALL....  all I'm asking for is a simply yes or no and it will be dropped and not lead to any jabs, barbs or pokes...  scouts honor.

Do you have any issues with your eye sight.  I mean serious issues.....not glasses or anything like that. 

Again...not meant as an insult AT ALL...infact the reason I ask has NOTHING to do with baseball....  I would never make fun of somebody's physical issues. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Here's what redsoxfireman continues to ignore, the wins above replacement rankings (in the American League) and numbers of the top 8 Sox lineup players--

6th best, Pedroia, 6.5

9th, Victorino, 6.1

11th, Ellsbury, 5.8

18th, Ortiz, 4.4

27th, Napoli, 4.1

42d, Drew, 3.1

44th, Saltalamacchia, 2.9

45th, Nava, 2.9

That's a pretty good starting lineup, minus Middlebrooks at 3B, and tells me Cherington did his job.    Combined with an excellent manager and a pretty good rotation (but not so good bullpen), it's easy to see why the Sox won 97 games and had the best offense in MLB. 

FWIW, Drew's WAR ranks him 5th among AL shortstops.  Iglesias's WAR is .4, slightly ahead of Bogaert's, .3.  Oh, and Middlebrooks, the guy redsoxfireman has announced is crucial to any Sox postseason success, has a WAR of -0.1. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I wonder if this WAR thing can predict a Players next at bat. Hope they bat Middlebrooks 9th, he has a .373 BA in that spot this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iglesias brought us Peavy and cleared the way for Drew to continue being one of the best hitting SSs in MLB and an above average fielder, and allowed your guy, Middy to return to play in the bigs.

(Note: I'd have rather had Iggy over Drew too, but not Iggy over Drew and Peavy.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

no better than Drew or Bogaerts!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Yes, I do.  Drew's WAR is 3.1, and Iglesias's is 0.4, so it's fair to say Drew had a way better year.  Iglesias being paid less is the simple product of just arriving in the Majors, but let's not forget he is paid way more than Bogaerts, who just might be the Sox SS of 2014 and beyond. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

, I would pick Drew easily cuz he is already capable to be top 10 all around SS for the next many years.  For Bogaerts, we all do not know what kind of a player he will be from now to the next five years.  But the negative side, can Drew stays healthy for the next three years??  That is my concern.

Contradition which makes the case against Drew's signing in the first place.

Top 10 all around SS in the AL isn't even one of the better league SS's.

It's not a question. Drew can't stay healthy over the next year. He missed time beyond the concussion, yet his 117 games started and finished is like the max for this guy in the last 3 years. 

But who cares about his fragile constitution, no value in uloading 10M a year vs. the alternatives. Whoever gurantees a bunch of money to S. Drew will regret it. 

When you're not lying, you are making up ridiculous statistics to defend your even more ridiculous positions.  Games played, Stephen Drew, 2007-2013:

• 2007:  150
    • 2008:  152
    • 2009:  135
    • 2010:  151
    • 2011:   86 (4 April until he broke his leg on 20 July)
    • 2012:   79 (27 June, once recovered from broken leg, through 3 October
    • 2013:   124

He had two seasons ruined by the same serious injury.  Presumably you know that - though who knows? - and you just pretend it's proof he's injury prone to support your absurd hatred of him.

Got the games played from B-R and noticed this new info:  Stephen Drew, 501 PA, 67 RBI...average MLB player from 501 PAs:  52.  That's average PLAYER....and he's a SS in case you didn't know that either.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

wins above replacement rankings 

There's your problem. Let's have the details on "wins above replacement". Let's have that match calculation formula. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/war/

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iglesias brought us Peavy and cleared the way for Drew to continue being one of the best hitting SSs in MLB and an above average fielder, and allowed your guy, Middy to return to play in the bigs.

(Making roster move pivots to "clear the way" for Drew is manifest incompetence. Iglesias didn't "bring us Peavy and his massive contract". Peavy was on the fire sell block. Had the Red Sox kept Iglesias and sent Drew, cash, and another prospect or two not in the top 5, that pitcher that you wanted and I equate to Paul Byrd AL stage didn't need to mean that best defensive SS, whose OPS isn't far behind the latest Red Sox slugging SS and soon to be departing S. Drew.)

(Note: I'd have rather had Iggy over Drew too, but not Iggy over Drew and Peavy.)

Note: you falsely assume that the only way to get the great Peavy was to trade Iglesias. And you don't "have Drew but a few months, and it's too bad you have Peavy for another year)

Note: I would have kept Iglesias and asked the Tigers to Take the rest of S. Drew's contract and he's yours, then negotiate until I send enough money to the Tigers to get rid of S. Drew. Since the prevailing thought is to offer Drew a QO because it will get draft compensation, dubious, the Tigers would have likely taken all of Drew's contract and sent a farm scrap. 

Drew could very well end up in detroit next year regardless since he was one of the teams that offered him a multi year deal this past offseason.

25. This post has been removed.