Mike Napoli - .863

Adrian Gonzalez - .877

Ivan Rodriguez - .798

Pedroia - .830

Mike Lowell - .805

Torii Hunter - .801

Salty - .720

[/QUOTE]

Im getting the feeling you really like Napoli, Drew ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Career OPS

I know that its early in the offseason , but Napoli is the perfect fit.  He draws a ton of walks and has 30 HR power.  He is a bona fide righty slugger.  He has a perfect swing for Fenway (we've had luck w players w Fenway swings: Lowell, Beltre, C.Ross).

He can start the year at 1B and give you near AGON production (see above).  If Lavarnaway struggles, we can slide Napoli to C and address 1B mid-season (Gomez, Sands...)

In interleague games, Ortiz at 1B, Napoli at C.  Regarding Napoli's D: he has seven years of experience calling games and managing pitching staffs.  He's not a great catcher, but he does have a lot of experience.

I've read and understand the "its early in the offseason posts."  However, Napoli makes a lot of sense for a lot of different reasons.  He is a one of a kind player in the MLB , never mind in this shallow FA pool.  Ben needs to show some boldness and grab this guy before its too late.  There isnt anyone else available w/ AGON -esque OPS, a Fenway swing, who can play Catcher, draws walks...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Napoli - .863

Adrian Gonzalez - .877

Ivan Rodriguez - .798

Pedroia - .830

Mike Lowell - .805

Torii Hunter - .801

Salty - .720

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he's underrated and undervalued.  I also think he's a good fit.  He also plays two positions where we have holes.  We should act and I'm getting nervous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mike Napoli - .863

Adrian Gonzalez - .877

Ivan Rodriguez - .798

Pedroia - .830

Mike Lowell - .805

Torii Hunter - .801

Salty - .720

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he's underrated and undervalued.  I also think he's a good fit.  He also plays two positions where we have holes.  We should act and I'm getting nervous.

[/QUOTE]

The more I look into his stats and some information in your posts, Im leaning in the same direction with you Drew. I think a 2-3 year deal would be Ok. 2/24 or 3/30 sound fair?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I like Napoli, but I am not sure what the list tells us.  7 different players, with most of their careers  split between different parks,  covering such diverse positions as 1B, 2B, catcher, and CF, with guys ranging in age from in their prime, to final contract, to retirement.

More importantly, do you see Napoli as a 1B or a catcher?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Career averages are probably best limited to about 3 years.  Is anything Mike Napoli did in 2007 relelvenat today?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A 31-year-old catcher/DH/1B with those numbers should be seeking a four-year contract.

At least.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In interleague games, Ortiz at 1B, Napoli at C.  Regarding Napoli's D: he has seven years of experience calling games and managing pitching staffs.  He's not a great catcher, but he does have a lot of experience.

Yeah, experience at being horrible defensibly for about 6 of those 7 years by the numbers (CERA and other defensive numbers and metrics).

I wouldn't mind Napoli on our team, but at the cost he will get, I don't see the upgrade as even close to worth the cost (financial and lost draft pick). I think we can do better via trades and signing younger players at positions of higher need than catcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

I know that its early in the offseason , but Napoli is the perfect fit.  He draws a ton of walks and has 30 HR power.  He is a bona fide righty slugger.  He has a perfect swing for Fenway (we've had luck w players w Fenway swings: Lowell, Beltre, C.Ross).

He can start the year at 1B and give you near AGON production (see above).  If Lavarnaway struggles, we can slide Napoli to C and address 1B mid-season (Gomez, Sands...)

I've read and understand the "its early in the offseason posts."  However, Napoli makes a lot of sense for a lot of different reasons.  He is a one of a kind player in the MLB , never mind in this shallow FA pool.  Ben needs to show some boldness and grab this guy before its too late.  There isnt anyone else available w/ AGON -esque OPS, a Fenway swing, who can play Catcher, draws walks...

[/QUOTE]

Can he pitch? Lots of talk about obtaining good position players when our real need is to get high quality SP first, then high quality RP. Its out PITCHING that was the reason the team stunk last year. I am not hearing enough from our FO about where that help will come from.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He's a buy low candidate to a degree and Drewski has some great points with the career OPS, pop and such. Going further, fangraphs projects his XBAPIP to be 37 points higher in 2013 and called him one of the most unlucky players in baseball last year after extensive analysis:

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/mike-napoli-more-ks-smaller-babip/

All that said, Hill55 is probably right in that this is at least a 3 year deal and possibly a 4 year deal needed. And we just signed a 2 year deal with Ross for $6 mil. We don't sign catchers for $6 mil deals and not play them. At least as backups.

I think they have been trying to trade Salty for 6 months now but even I think Lavarnway is probably starting in AAA ball in the current configuration of Salty, Ross and Lavarnway. If Napoli is added, one of those guys at least have to go. And it won't be Ross.

We could really use a RH bopper. I wouldn't be surprised if they did add him. They have the money and they need the RH power bat. If they do a 3 or 4 year deal for him the last 1-2 years of that could be as a part time catcher / part time DH. It all depends on how much other teams are going to bid him up. Is he worth $13 mil a year / over 3-4 years. To me, barely at best.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A big factor is that the best years we would get from Napoli would probably be the next 2. Those are not peak years for us in all probability. We should be investing in younger players if possible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Mike Napoli - .863

Adrian Gonzalez - .877

Ivan Rodriguez - .798

Pedroia - .830

Mike Lowell - .805

Torii Hunter - .801

Salty - .720

[/QUOTE]

I agree Napoli would be a good fit in Boston, especially if Salty or Lav "depending on who gets traded" don't do well.  I'm not sure I would want him as our every day 1B defensively but sometimes you need to take the bad with the good.

Either way he is much more productive than Salty, or any 1B we currently have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think there's a good chance Napoli ends up here, and I guess if we are going to overpay one big bat, Napoli will be much cheaper than Hamilton, but I see Napoli playing more 1B than catcher, and when you compare his OPS vs MLb 1Bmen, he's not anywhere near dominating.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a buy low candidate to a degree and Drewski has some great points with the career OPS, pop and such. Going further, fangraphs projects his XBAPIP to be 37 points higher in 2013 and called him one of the most unlucky players in baseball last year after extensive analysis:

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/mike-napoli-more-ks-smaller-babip/

All that said, Hill55 is probably right in that this is at least a 3 year deal and possibly a 4 year deal needed. And we just signed a 2 year deal with Ross for $6 mil. We don't sign catchers for $6 mil deals and not play them. At least as backups.

I think they have been trying to trade Salty for 6 months now but even I think Lavarnway is probably starting in AAA ball in the current configuration of Salty, Ross and Lavarnway. If Napoli is added, one of those guys at least have to go. And it won't be Ross.

We could really use a RH bopper. I wouldn't be surprised if they did add him. They have the money and they need the RH power bat. If they do a 3 or 4 year deal for him the last 1-2 years of that could be as a part time catcher / part time DH. It all depends on how much other teams are going to bid him up. Is he worth $13 mil a year / over 3-4 years. To me, barely at best.

[/QUOTE]

BC said Ross will get more playing time than a BU, but will not be considered a starter. My guess is an even split with 2 catchers. Napoli might fit in there, but we would have to get another 1b when hes catching. Unless they think Sands/Gomez can do it.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Even if the Tigers were going to trade VMart, which theyre not, Do you really think they would take "farm scraps" for him? seriously? Its not like they cant afford him and need to shed payroll...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

VMart will not even be discussed by Ben & Detroit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there's a good chance Napoli ends up here, and I guess if we are going to overpay one big bat, Napoli will be much cheaper than Hamilton, but I see Napoli playing more 1B than catcher, and when you compare his OPS vs MLb 1Bmen, he's not anywhere near dominating.

[/QUOTE]

I think we need more than just Napoli's bat moon but agree the Tigers won't trade VMart back.  After securing Hunter and with Victor returning they have a power house team if they can stay healthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

VMart will not even be discussed by Ben & Detroit.

[/QUOTE]

Nope. To do that would mean admitting a mistake letting him walk. 

Can you imagine how 2011 and 2012 would have turned out having both Vmart and Beltre still on the team?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Considering the Tigrs movd Cabrera to 3B rather than DH to accomodate Martinez, chances are very good they intend to keep him...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Below is a list of the non rookie 1st basemen and their career road OPS. Since Napoli hasn't played in a good hitters park from his side and others have, I think its more telling then their total numbers.......

Pujols----1.016
    Votto-----.981
    González--.926
    Howard----.901
    Fielder---.892
    Napoli----.878
    Morneau---.864
    Helton----.864
    Teixeira--.848
    Davis-----.846
    Loney-----.807
    Lee-------.804
    Reynolds--.800
    Morales---.797
    Pena------.796
    Konerko---.793
    Butler----.793
    LaRoche---.793
    Jones-----.785
    Freeman---.756
    Lind------.756
    Smoak-----.715

According to these numbers, Napoli is in the Howard, Fielder, Morneau, Tex league. This doesn't even take into account not having to catch.

As for those that think Napoli is too old to sign a long term deal with...... At the end of a FOUR year contract, he will only be 34 years old. Thats the same age that Adrian Gonzalez would be in 4 years. Would people be against signing Gonzalez to a 4 year deal because he would be too old at the end of the deal? Shoot, Ryan Howard is 33 as we speak. And Papi is 37. But signing a guy that will end his contract at 34 is way too old for the Red Sox?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Napoli, but I am not sure what the list tells us.  7 different players, with most of their careers  split between different parks,  covering such diverse positions as 1B, 2B, catcher, and CF, with guys ranging in age from in their prime, to final contract, to retirement.

More importantly, do you see Napoli as a 1B or a catcher?

[/QUOTE]

The position that he plays is not more important than his stick.  The comparison was to show that Mike Napoli's career OPS is extremely close to Adrian Gonzalez's.  It was to show that its substantially higher than Pedey's and blows Lowell's out of the water.

It was to show that he is a very good hitter (as opposed to a very good hitter as a C).  We need this bat in our lineup. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, experience at being horrible defensibly for about 6 of those 7 years by the numbers (CERA and other defensive numbers and metrics).

I wouldn't mind Napoli on our team, but at the cost he will get, I don't see the upgrade as even close to worth the cost (financial and lost draft pick). I think we can do better via trades and signing younger players at positions of higher need than catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Moon, his OPS is in the ballpark's of AGON (again).  You were willing to pay 21M / yr for AGONS .877 bat, but do not see Napoli's .863 bat worthy of the lesser cost?

Look, for some reason the world hasnt caught on to how good Napoli is.  He had a nagging hamstring injury last year and still had a higher OPS than Cody Ross.  The dude is an awesome hitter.