Carl Crawford as the RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Carl Crawford as the RF

Nick Cafardo's baseball writing today, found his summary of the pros and cons re Carl Crawford playing RF.  As every baseball fans knows, LF and RF is many of the parks differ in terms of dimensions and angles. 

The pros being Carls speed and experience as a good outfielder.

The main con is Carl's arm.

It was also suggested that the angles in Fenway's RF take some time, although sometimes it takes time for a player to learn on the angles in LF, maybe the reason Ted, Carl, Jim Rice and Manny seemed to get better the more games they played in front of the wall, the left field grandstand and the way the ball comes off the jutting box seats down the line. It was also suggested that Carl might not respond to a change following his prolonged batting slump in his first season and some lapses which looked more a lapse, rather than having lost his skills.  Trot Nixon is another RF who improved each season and I am not sure if Trot had that much stronger throwing arm, but Trot learned how to play the angles. Also, when the Red Sox had Coco Crisp, Jacoby Ellsbury, whose arm is similar to Carl's played RF, particlarly well in away games. Don't know if Dwight Evans would be willing, but it might be an idea to invite Dwight to ST to instruct Carl, Ryan Sweeney, Ryan Kalish, Darnell McDonald and Juan Carlos Linares, particularly on irregular aspects of playing RF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Carl Crawford as the RF

I'm speechless.  Let me ask you something:  Did Nick also suggest that Lupus bat lead off?  Why not bat him 3rd and put him in Center?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

In Response to Carl Crawford as the RF:
    Nick Cafardo's baseball writing today, found his summary of the pros and cons re Carl Crawford playing RF.  As every baseball fans knows, LF and RF is many of the parks differ in terms of dimensions and angles.  The pros being Carls speed and experience as a good outfielder. The main con is Carl's arm. It was also suggested that the angles in Fenway's RF take some time, although sometimes it takes time for a player to learn on the angles in LF, maybe the reason Ted, Carl, Jim Rice and Manny seemed to get better the more games they played in front of the wall, the left field grandstand and the way the ball comes off the jutting box seats down the line. It was also suggested that Carl might not respond to a change following his prolonged batting slump in his first season and some lapses which looked more a lapse, rather than having lost his skills.  Trot Nixon is another RF who improved each season and I am not sure if Trot had that much stronger throwing arm, but Trot learned how to play the angles. Also, when the Red Sox had Coco Crisp, Jacoby Ellsbury, whose arm is similar to Carl's played RF, particlarly well in away games. Don't know if Dwight Evans would be willing, but it might be an idea to invite Dwight to ST to instruct Carl, Ryan Sweeney, Ryan Kalish, Darnell McDonald and Juan Carlos Linares, particularly on irregular aspects of playing RF.
    Posted by rgmfick

Putting Crawford in right field is a good idea for more than one reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This ain't little league where you could hide Timmy Lupus in right field.  However, I am all for Bobby telling Ellsbury to catch ANYTHING hit in the OF, even if it means running in front of Lupus on pop-ups.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

There are usually reasons players play LF rather than CF or RF i.e. no speed, no arm, poor reaction time or just bad fielding generally.

I can't see Crawford ever throwing well enough to play RF.  Additionally, I'd rather the guy focus on recovering his form as a LF rather than trying to play another, harder, position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Carl Crawford as the RF":
    Nick Cafardo's baseball writing today, found his summary of the pros and cons re Carl Crawford playing RF.  As every baseball fans knows, LF and RF is many of the parks differ in terms of dimensions and angles.  The pros being Carls speed and experience as a good outfielder. The main con is Carl's arm. It was also suggested that the angles in Fenway's RF take some time, although sometimes it takes time for a player to learn on the angles in LF, maybe the reason Ted, Carl, Jim Rice and Manny seemed to get better the more games they played in front of the wall, the left field grandstand and the way the ball comes off the jutting box seats down the line. It was also suggested that Carl might not respond to a change following his prolonged batting slump in his first season and some lapses which looked more a lapse, rather than having lost his skills.  Trot Nixon is another RF who improved each season and I am not sure if Trot had that much stronger throwing arm, but Trot learned how to play the angles. Also, when the Red Sox had Coco Crisp, Jacoby Ellsbury, whose arm is similar to Carl's played RF, particlarly well in away games. Don't know if Dwight Evans would be willing, but it might be an idea to invite Dwight to ST to instruct Carl, Ryan Sweeney, Ryan Kalish, Darnell McDonald and Juan Carlos Linares, particularly on irregular aspects of playing RF. Posted by rgmfick
    Rightfield at Fenway is difficult enough to learn and not a good fit for someone with no arm. Nixon didn't have a cannon, but he had much better arm than Crawford. Also, when they are on the road, many stadiums have a bigger left field than right, so we would be losing his speed in places like Yankee Stadium. Bouncing him from left to right, probably not a smart move, especially since he's played left his entire career. This guy has enough pressure going into this season already. As Ben mentioned, it's not something that's been discussed in a while, plus Sweeney is a plus defender in right and Kalish likely will be...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I am all for Bobby telling Ellsbury to catch ANYTHING hit in the OF

Ellsbury likes to play the big easy hop and avoid contact with walls. Bobby telling him that will get zero response as Ellsbury seeks more than 20 million over next 2 years to his most important focus, his FA contract. That will be Ellsbury focus for 2012 and 2013, his next 3 contracts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It seems odd that Crawford played LF 9 years with the TB Rays with 3 visits each year to Fenway since 2002 and no issues playing the field.
    Maybe the Sox coach in charge of outfielders needs to spend time with him on positioning himself better and also playing balls hit off the wall.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF:
    I'm speechless.  Let me ask you something:  Did Nick also suggest that Lupus bat lead off?  Why not bat him 3rd and put him in Center?  
    Posted by andrewmitch

Lupus you are very clever Andre. the Yankees are looking to move Burnett, may they will do it for Lester and a prospect.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

I am all for Bobby telling Ellsbury to catch ANYTHING hit in the OF Ellsbury likes to play the big easy hop and avoid contact with walls. Bobby telling him that will get zero response as Ellsbury seeks more than 20 million over next 2 years to his most important focus, his FA contract. That will be Ellsbury focus for 2012 and 2013, his next 3 contracts.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

As usual you spew the same old garbage. You got any new material dumbazz?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootman. Show bootman's posts

Sure, sure and Mike Lowell should have played shortstop in the World Series.  (Shakes head and sighs)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Careful about mentioning Crawford in any post. Youll get to hear all about andrewmitch's "lupus", or "lupes" as it was last night before pike had to correct his spelling for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Joe Maddon is one of the better managers, there are a number of others, who routinely swap which corner a number of the team's corner outfielders play.  No reason to think Carl Crawford will make a fuss if Bobby Valentine swaps his corner outfielders depending on which park the team is playing. And I have very few pitchers complain about defensive assignments of his teammates, and Mr. Lackey won't be on the mound for sometime to complain or make disgruntled facial expression about the play of his teammates.  Anyway, we fans should leave those decisions to our new Manager Bobby Valentine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

the only thing that crawford brings to RF in fenway is his speed.

leave him alone in LF.  he will get better out there and might even hit better this year if he is not shifted around defensively.

can there be any question that he tied his fielding to his hitting last year?

he is not going anywhere due to his contract, so let's just hope that he plays better this year.  his improvement will be needed because it is might be a guarantee that ortiz and ellsbury reproduce the same numbers from last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF : Lupus you are very clever Andre. the Yankees are looking to move Burnett, may they will do it for Lester and a prospect.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

Burnette will be a great airlone pilot and Lackey a co- pilot. Lester is far better than either. Give Lester away, and Sox have no shot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Carl Crawford as the RF":
    Joe Maddon is one of the better managers, there are a number of others, who routinely swap which corner a number of the team's corner outfielders play.  No reason to think Carl Crawford will make a fuss if Bobby Valentine swaps his corner outfielders depending on which park the team is playing. And I have very few pitchers complain about defensive assignments of his teammates, and Mr. Lackey won't be on the mound for sometime to complain or make disgruntled facial expression about the play of his teammates.  Anyway, we fans should leave those decisions to our new Manager Bobby Valentine. Posted by rgmfick
    Maddon never put Crawford in right, regardless of the stadium they played in. "A number of teams routinely switch their corner outfielders based on stadium?!" Since I can't think of any in the history of baseball, maybe you can cite at least a few...the only time outfielders play different spots is if they don't have an outfielder in a particular spot who is considered an every day player. JD Drew was twice the defender Manny was and Manny actually played a lot of right, yet it wasn't considered and rightfully so. I'm pretty sure Valentine is smart enough to leave Crawford in left...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

This ain't little league where you could hide Timmy Lupus in right field.  However, I am all for Bobby telling Ellsbury to catch ANYTHING hit in the OF, even if it means running in front of Lupus on pop-ups.
    Posted by andrewmitch

How many days / threads / posts to go before Andrewmitch gets tired of his Timmy Lupus fixation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Carl Crawford as the RF:
    Nick Cafardo's baseball writing today, found his summary of the pros and cons re Carl Crawford playing RF.  As every baseball fans knows, LF and RF is many of the parks differ in terms of dimensions and angles.  The pros being Carls speed and experience as a good outfielder. The main con is Carl's arm. It was also suggested that the angles in Fenway's RF take some time, although sometimes it takes time for a player to learn on the angles in LF, maybe the reason Ted, Carl, Jim Rice and Manny seemed to get better the more games they played in front of the wall, the left field grandstand and the way the ball comes off the jutting box seats down the line. It was also suggested that Carl might not respond to a change following his prolonged batting slump in his first season and some lapses which looked more a lapse, rather than having lost his skills.  Trot Nixon is another RF who improved each season and I am not sure if Trot had that much stronger throwing arm, but Trot learned how to play the angles. Also, when the Red Sox had Coco Crisp, Jacoby Ellsbury, whose arm is similar to Carl's played RF, particlarly well in away games. Don't know if Dwight Evans would be willing, but it might be an idea to invite Dwight to ST to instruct Carl, Ryan Sweeney, Ryan Kalish, Darnell McDonald and Juan Carlos Linares, particularly on irregular aspects of playing RF.
    Posted by rgmfick

I'm still thinking that it might be worth giving Lavarnway a shot in the outfield..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF : Burnette will be a great airlone pilot and Lackey a co- pilot. Lester is far better than either. Give Lester away, and Sox have no shot.
    Posted by boboinfla

This is a joke, Andre has repeatedly said Burnett is better than Lester.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Carl Crawford as the RF":
    In Response to Carl Crawford as the RF : I'm still thinking that it might be worth giving Lavarnway a shot in the outfield.. Posted by BOSOX1941
    Please tell me why....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In Response to Carl Crawford as the RF : I'm still thinking that it might be worth giving Lavarnway a shot in the outfield..
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Granted playing 50 games at traditional college venues like Yale  aren't your typical Fenway RF or LF but when you have someone that wants to play everyday and has the bat to support playing everyday I would think you would send him to Fort Myers, Puerto Rico or the Dominican in Jan. to get some games in playing the OF with someone like Dewey,Rice  or Yaz working with him to see if he has the capability.

Lav is a smart guy--he knows he's got a pro bat but some question his catching ability--a small sample size in Sept. showed me he was capable enough. Being a RH bat he could platoon in RF with Sweeney, he could get a a couple of games behind the plate and he could get a couple of games as a DH when there's a tough Lefty that Ortiz has trouble with.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I would think you would send him to Fort Myers, Puerto Rico or the Dominican in Jan. to get some games in playing the OF with someone like Dewey,Rice  or Yaz working with him to see if he has the capability."

With Lavarnway, I don't think the issue is whether he can learn to play OF.  The question is, can he do it from a physical standpoint.  My guess would be no.  He's a big slow guy.  There's a reason he was converted to a C.  You may be able to hide him in LF for the 81 home games but I just don't see him as mobile enough to get the job done.  Unless you don't think he'll ever be a solid defensive catcher, I wouldn't have him learn any other position.  Let him catch everyday so he can improve.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

There are usually reasons players play LF rather than CF or RF i.e. no speed, no arm, poor reaction time or just bad fielding generally. I can't see Crawford ever throwing well enough to play RF.  Additionally, I'd rather the guy focus on recovering his form as a LF rather than trying to play another, harder, position.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

He still hasn't learned to play LF and the op wants him in RF?
    Did this come from Bleacher Report?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Am I the only one who holds his breath everytime a fly ball heads towards LF?

Or a base hit, with the winning run on 2B? 

The way we lost the G162 was perfect, just perfect. 

(And I was bashed for saying 2 weeks prior there was no way they would make the playoffs........Crickets...........)

Sections
Shortcuts