Carl Crawford as the RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Carl Crawford as the RF

It makes more sense to trade Ellsbury for a young starting pitcher and move crawford to CF.

You need a strong arm in RF, particularly in Fenway, and Crawford doesn't have it.

If they trade Crawford, they'll have to eat a lot of his contract.  And then they'll have to give $20plus million to Ellsbury.  No way they do that.  Ellsbury's future was sealed when they signed Crawford.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ben must mitigate the damage Theo did.  It should be his #1 priority medium-term planning-wise.

Imagine not only the 142 million dollars locked up in Lupus, but we lose arguably our best player on top of that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

CC needs to leadoff, CC should hit 2nd, CC should play every day, CC should hit 3rd, CC should play RF, CC should play CF, CC should not be bashed, CC earned his salary according to 9 percent of fans on a certain poll....Conclusion--Complete horsehockey. CC needs to change his name to HH--Harry Houdini, because fans obviously have forgotten how much he did to NOT help the Sox make the playoffs last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

oh, andym, I cringed way before he every was a Sox when a ball was hit to LF with CC there. When he was a Ray, I laughed often at how he would butcher even routine flies to LF AS A RAY. So no, CC SHOULD NOT PLAY RF, AND SHOULD NOT PLAY LF, AND SHOULD NOT EAT GREEN EGGS WITH HAM EITHER.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Lavarnway switched to catcher while a senior at Yale. He had been a OF, the catcher was injured and Lavarnway converted, I'm assuming due to his strong arm. (word is Lavarnway volunteered)  He like it and decided to stay.The sox drafted him for his bat after scouting him in a summer collegiate league. With the shortage of MLB catchers, could be he thought he had a better shot making it to the BIGS 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Interesting questions, why did the Red Sox play Babe Ruth as a P and in the outfield and ultimately the Yankees played the Babe in the outfield (probably so a worldwide youth baseball league would be named for the Babe), the Red Sox switch Carl Yaz from SS to the outfield and 1B, Rico Petrocelli from SS to 3B, George Scott from 3B to 1B, John Valentin from SS to 2B and 3B (NOMAR), why did the Yankees switch Jorge Posada from 2B to C, why did the coach at Yale switch Ryan Lavarnway from the outfield to C and so on and so on? I can only think such switches do not, alone, reflect negatively on a player's ability and performance playing previous positions. A baseball saying is applicable, if a player has a good bat, the Manager will find a position for that player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The point with Craw playing RF is his speed ... it is wasted in LF, and not having that part of his game at Fenway might be throwing him off.   Not my opinion BTW ... but I can see the logic there.   Guys don't need to throw from RF to 3rd base like Dewey did, they just need to hit the cutoff man.  Craw can do that, his arm isn't THAT weak.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But it is more likely that Boston isnt pursuing a RF via free agency.  RF will be Sweeney for a while until Kalish is healthy enough to play.

I know there are few people saying that Crawford doesnt have the arm to play RF.  Same goes with McDonald who doesnt have the speed to play in RF.  I do not know much about Sweeney.  So therefore, I cant say much about him.

If Sweeney is just an average RF just like Reddick, what is the difference of putting Crawford in RF if McDonald or Sweeney is not a true RF'ers!!!!

That is why I do not care who play RF just for the 2012 season.  As long he can play defense, dont make too many mistakes like Reddick made couple big time errors in the month of September at the same time he can be a consistent hitter.

Then after 2012 season is over, Ben will pursue hard to find a decent RF cuz there are alot of talent 2012 free agent RF such as Either, Hamilton, etc!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Have often thought, the strength of an outfielder's throwing arm is important, but not as important as how quickly that player gets the ball off and how accurate the throw is.  There are not that many outfielders who play RF as well as Dwight Evans or, for that matter, as well as JD Drew did.  If we were flys on the wall of the location at which Bobby Valentine met with Carl Crawford last weekend, wonder if Bobby may have even asked if Carl is willing to play some games in RF in various parks. Also, since Ryan Lavarway looks to have a promising RH bat with some power and was originally an outfielder at Yale, what is wrong with getting more of look at Ryan in the outfield at LF or RF so that the Sox will have at least 3 decent ML catchers, Shoppach, Lavarnway and Saltalamacchia, at least 2 of whom can play other positions and Crawford, Ellsbury, Sweeney, Kalish, McDonald, Linares, Nava, Lin etc. in ST.  Isn't getting a good look at players, position availiability in Spring Training, besides conditioning, strengthing and stretching pitchers' arms, and gaining depth at various positions what it is all about?  As we all know, looking at MLB's Official website, depth charts are shown for each team, not surprisingly all teams have some of their players listed at a number of positions, even Adrian Gonzalez might be shown as backup RF, certainly Aviles and Punto will be shown as depth at various positions. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Charrington and Gammons were on Red Sox Hot Stove last night. Charrington said Kalish would be ready offensively before defensively, should be hitting by ST, will be cautious. He said they'll start the season plattoning Sweeney and Dmac, but Gammons didnt buy it, feels they'll add another RF

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF:
    [QUOTE]keep carl in left because of his poor arm, but also because he has a year under his belt there.  I don't want any more moves out there that may result in Jacoby getting hurt again.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Same goes to McDonald....keep him on the bench due he doesnt have the speed to play at RF or never been a consistent hitter!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Wake me up when Lupus is able to understand the concept of a cut-off man.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Wake me up when Lupus is able to understand the concept of a cut-off man.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

There's no cut-off man when a runner goes from 1st to 3rd.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF : There's no cut-off man when a runner goes from 1st to 3rd.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

unless you're Manny being MannyYellTongue out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]"I would think you would send him to Fort Myers, Puerto Rico or the Dominican in Jan. to get some games in playing the OF with someone like Dewey,Rice  or Yaz working with him to see if he has the capability." With Lavarnway, I don't think the issue is whether he can learn to play OF.  The question is, can he do it from a physical standpoint.  My guess would be no.  He's a big slow guy.  There's a reason he was converted to a C.  You may be able to hide him in LF for the 81 home games but I just don't see him as mobile enough to get the job done.  Unless you don't think he'll ever be a solid defensive catcher, I wouldn't have him learn any other position.  Let him catch everyday so he can improve.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

Was Ted a small fast guy? Was Manny a small fast guy? He's a right handed power hitter. He's played a little outfield in college, why not experiment in ST to see if he might be the RH power hitting outfielder they're looking for?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Carl Crawford as the RF": Please tell me why....
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

See MadMac's post..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF : There's no cut-off man when a runner goes from 1st to 3rd.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Usually not.  But regardless, Crawford threw to the wrong base so many times last year it drove me mad.  He completely ingores the cut-off man and has no sense for the game in terms of what base to throw to.  Either that or he thinks that he has an arm like Ichirio.  How the team let him get away with ignoring the fundamentals is beyond me.  To me, the guy isn't even a zero-tool player, he is a negative-tool player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF : unless you're Manny being Manny
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

...and who did Manny cut off?

Old noodle-arm himself, Johnny Dee.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Varitek needed a relay man, to get the ball from home to 1st base.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Carl Crawford as the RF": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF : See MadMac's post.. Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE] Two wrongs don't make a right, '41. Lavarnway's value to the Sox and possibly in trade is as a catcher. Unless he beats out Salty this spring, he will be in Pawtucket. He needs to play everyday to continue to develop. He isn't nearly athletic enough to be considered in RF, and despite the rants on this board, LF is settled for the foreseeable future....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]The point with Craw playing RF is his speed ... it is wasted in LF, and not having that part of his game at Fenway might be throwing him off.   Not my opinion BTW ... but I can see the logic there.   Guys don't need to throw from RF to 3rd base like Dewey did, they just need to hit the cutoff man.  Craw can do that, his arm isn't THAT weak.  
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

From middle to shallow RF at fenway, the outfielder has to be able to get the ball home.  I'd prefer someone that can do it without hitting the cutoff man.

Man on 2nd, 2 outs, ball hit to mid RF.  He'll score with Crawford in RF.  You want your best OF in RF and Crawford ain't it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF : Was Ted a small fast guy? Was Manny a small fast guy? He's a right handed power hitter. He's played a little outfield in college, why not experiment in ST to see if he might be the RH power hitting outfielder they're looking for?
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Because decent RFs are more plentiful than decent catchers.  If Lavarnway can be a good catcher then they should develope him as a cather.