Carl Crawford as the RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Carl Crawford as the RF

i will add my 2 cents in this debate...

i dont see why people get all offended by this idea...its not like replacing ells in CF with a 37yr old man....RF is Fenway is huge and why wouldnt you want a fielder that could cover it well? The arm issue plays into it but you make more catches than you do throws as an outfielder...plus if you got there quicker, that could prevent the extra base being taken....

however as somebody already said there, 1/2 of the games are on the road....so does this help you there....LF is huge in some ballparks...

i would love to see CC play both....use his speed in RF at home and LF away...i think he could handle it and it would give a boost of confidence knowing that he is skilled/valued as a fielder...could carry over at the plate...at least someone is thinking outside the box...im for that...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Carl Crawford as the RF": [QUOTE]i will add my 2 cents in this debate... i dont see why people get all offended by this idea...its not like replacing ells in CF with a 37yr old man....RF is Fenway is huge and why wouldnt you want a fielder that could cover it well? The arm issue plays into it but you make more catches than you do throws as an outfielder...plus if you got there quicker, that could prevent the extra base being taken.... however as somebody already said there, 1/2 of the games are on the road....so does this help you there....LF is huge in some ballparks... i would love to see CC play both....use his speed in RF at home and LF away...i think he could handle it and it would give a boost of confidence knowing that he is skilled/valued as a fielder...could carry over at the plate...at least someone is thinking outside the box...im for that... Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box, Geo, but there are lots of reasons why it's never done with regular players. For example, just the way the ball comes off the bat is different, but I think in Carl's case, especially after last year, it's probably not a great idea to add the extra pressure of learning a new position, especially one as challenging as RF in Fenway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Carl Crawford as the RF:
    [QUOTE]i will add my 2 cents in this debate... i dont see why people get all offended by this idea...its not like replacing ells in CF with a 37yr old man....RF is Fenway is huge and why wouldnt you want a fielder that could cover it well? The arm issue plays into it but you make more catches than you do throws as an outfielder...plus if you got there quicker, that could prevent the extra base being taken.... however as somebody already said there, 1/2 of the games are on the road....so does this help you there....LF is huge in some ballparks... i would love to see CC play both....use his speed in RF at home and LF away...i think he could handle it and it would give a boost of confidence knowing that he is skilled/valued as a fielder...could carry over at the plate...at least someone is thinking outside the box...im for that...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

How about we see if he could play ONE position w/o looking like a bafoon first? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

By the way, it is very hard to switch from LF to RF in my opinion and from personal experience.  It is far easier to switch from LF to CF or CF to RF than to go from line to line based on how the ball breaks off the bat.  When I did it for just a short period of time I found it mentally exhausting constantly reminding myself of the rules of thumb - which are the exact opposite from LF to RF.  I couldn't imagine Crawford being able to deal with that in any universe what-so-ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]By the way, it is very hard to switch from LF to RF in my opinion and from personal experience.  It is far easier to switch from LF to CF or CF to RF than to go from line to line based on how the ball breaks off the bat.  When I did it for just a short period of time I found it mentally exhausting constantly reminding myself of the rules of thumb - which are the exact opposite from LF to RF.  I couldn't imagine Crawford being able to deal with that in any universe what-so-ever.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Was this during the HR Baker era?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is a thought I have had.....not necessarily my stance. I understand you want your RF to have a strong arm. But consider the runs you might lose from Crawfords arm to the runs you might save from his legs.....if later is more.......then it might be worth it to have Crawford out there. There is another solution. Mpeople may be less inclined to guest where to best utilize someone's strengths if they are performing well overall. If Crawford bounces back in 2012 and bats over .300 with 20 hr with40 sb's people will be much happier with him in left. Of course that is actually more ofa scenario than a solution but I've made my point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not just about arm strength. Crawford has played LF his entire ML career, and showed signs of losing hie bearings last year. (Slow breaks, wrong routes, general bad instincts and decision making. 

Now, people want him to move to a more demanding position, in perhaps the most demanding RF in MLB parks? 

Even if he had the best arm in MLB, I'd seriously question moving him to RF in 2012.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE] I am all for Bobby telling Ellsbury to catch ANYTHING hit in the OF Ellsbury likes to play the big easy hop and avoid contact with walls. Bobby telling him that will get zero response as Ellsbury seeks more than 20 million over next 2 years to his most important focus, his FA contract. That will be Ellsbury focus for 2012 and 2013, his next 3 contracts.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Didn't you just post this same exact crap, almost verbatim, sometime last week or so?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Any post with "Ellsbury" or "Crawford" in the title will live forever.

Sections
Shortcuts