Carl Crawford Playing like the Carl Crawford of old.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Carl Crawford Playing like the Carl Crawford of old.

Where was this Crawford when he was in boston??? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Carl Crawford Playing like the Carl Crawford of old.

Well, I guess he's due.  Now let's see if he can sustain it for the remaining five years of his contract.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Meanwhile the star-studded Dodgers just got swept by the Padres, at home, and are 7-8. Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Even if he plays like the CC of old he would still be ridiculously overpaid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

My question is, why the Hell do we care? 

"Our" team is 10-4 atop the AL East and the future isn't hamstrung by big contracts. Does baseball life get any better than this?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Most posters on here did not give Crawford a chance or expected the second coming of Willie Mays. Of the players in the trade Crawford is the piece I hated to see go. But it looks like Beckett is the only pickle in the deal as even Punto is earning his pay and Gonzalez is obviously more comfortable the NL and California.

I was very happy when the Red Sox signed Crawford and didn't want to see him traded.  I wish him success for the remainder of the season and in his career.  It is unfortunate that he wasn't successful in Boston but he was always a very talented player and I am not surprised that he is having a good season.  Maybe Beckett will never be the pitcher that he once was but I expect that all of the other players will have success. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

Crawford was injured while in Boston. Simple deduction and logic. 

Not really that cut and dry pike.

hAlthough its obvious he was injured, his mental makeup cant handle the pressure of the Boston media and the fans. I lived in FL since he was drafted and hes a good fit for places like Tampa, Houston, LA  and the such...I knew he would fold in Boston from watching, interviewing, and reading everything on him for 8+ years from being in sports radio there. Philly and other places that are constant pressure cookers and the smallest thing you do is reported are not a good fit for him.

Some guys can handle it, some cant. It wasnt just his injury. Hes a great player, nobodys saying he isnt. Edgar Renteria is another one. Its not a bad thing (unless your the guy that signed him) But lets not just make it out to be "he was injured" as the sole reason for his struggles..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I am not following carl but if he is playing better then it is because he is more relaxed.  He is more relaxed because no one cares about baseball in LA.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Rather than lamenting any or all of the trades of  Gonzo, Crawford, Punto & Beckett, I wish to be a Monday morning qtrback too & the guy I really miss is Marco Scutaro who was MVP in National League Championship Series last year and instrumental in SF Giants World Series victory.  He's a gutsy player/clutch hitter and wouldn't we like him now at shortstop(he can play 2nd, short or 3rd).  At least I can enjoy seeing him at AT&T park in SF but I wish he had stayed with the Sox !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Rather than lamenting any or all of the trades of  Gonzo, Crawford, Punto & Beckett, I wish to be a Monday morning qtrback too & the guy I really miss is Marco Scutaro who was MVP in National League Championship Series last year and instrumental in SF Giants World Series victory.  He's a gutsy player/clutch hitter and wouldn't we like him now at shortstop(he can play 2nd, short or 3rd).  At least I can enjoy seeing him at AT&T park in SF but I wish he had stayed with the Sox !!!

I always liked Scutaro, but he'd be the first one to tell you that his shoulder no longer allows him to be a full time shortstop, and since the Sox already have an all star 2nd baseman, he is no longer a fit. Glad to see him do well, though...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Crawbust was out of position from the get go. He's #1 or #2 lineup guy, but the Red Sox management incompetently offered him one of the most embarrassing contracts in MLB history. They traded him at his lowest low, which simply meant that AGon had to be given away. They could have acquired a couple of top prospects if they had traded Beckett spearately and waited to trade Crawbust after he played a season of 130 games or more. It's truly laughable that this deal is called "the deal of the century".

I like Tampa Bay but I don't want any of their players.  Even Carlos Pena who could play in McCoy but not Fenway, did well in Tampa. Small Market players often have a hard time here.  Heck, a seasoned broadcaster like Valentine could not handle the Boston press.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

When Crawford was signed I can't recall anyone here saying that he was a poor match for being in the fishbowl of Boston. He seemed to represent himself well in press conferences and in interviews with the media. If posters knew his mental makeup while sitting in the armchairs then they never expressed it in this forum. Forum posters were intolerant of his poor performance and recurrent injuries and months on the DL.  The forum was very impatient with him and the forum demanded a villain and he easy game. He was very important on keeping many coming to the forum to vent, complain, and bash.

After Lugo I always said that I did not want small market players here. But like Dice-K the press and The sox marketed him like a god.  What is a gyro ball anyway?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Anyone who comes from the farm is a "small market guy".

I'm still waiting for the next Ted Williams and the next Ichiro, but would be happy with a guy who can average 100 games or more per season.

My remarks did not include the farm system.  Most players in the farm are eager to play and will talk to the media.  Once they get to a market like Tampa, they form their habits and it can be a huge adjustment to play here in Boston..  Obviously this does not apply to all players but I would rather not take any addtional players from Tampa.

Sections
Shortcuts