Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes.

5:05pm: Two teams told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that the Marlins thought they had traded Lee to the Yankees today (Twitter link).  However, Lee wouldn't waive his no-trade clause. 

Lee had a chance to go to the LAD in June or the NYY now, he turned down the chance to play for a WS contender to save ~$500k in state income tax!  NY and California have high state income tax rates, Fla and Texas have none.
    Lee has made $131m for his career.

The Marlins may release him soon anyway and if goes to a winner I will eat my words.

Tax rates in play when jocks pick teams

Former Houston Astro Carlos Lee recently vetoed a potential trade to the Los Angeles Dodgers, winners of six World Series Titles and 21 National League Pennants. You may wonder why a baseball slugger like Carlos Lee would pass up the chance to leave a last place team for one in playoff contention. The answer, sadly, is taxes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes.

Question? Does it matter why he chose to stay in Florida? A right that he earned under the collective bargaining aggrement being a 10-5 man? My guess is that neither team wanted to buy out his no trade clause (which has become SOP to entice 10-5 guys to accept trades). Had they sweetend the pot, the Tax issue would've been moot...Also as a power hitting righthaned bat, it's not like playing in Yankee Stadium or Chavez Ravine are exactly parks that were built for him either.

In the end it's clear that the guy doesn't covet the chance to play for a ring (turning down two trades to teams in the hunt). So while we the fans have tough time accepting that not every player has the same fervor as we do in the interest of winning. This could well be something as simple as the buisness side of baseball ($) having more importance then the chance to win. If that makes Lee the bad guy then so be it...end of the day he exorcised his right to veto both trades, a right that he earned, that was collectively bargained...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

If my firm were able to reassign my contract to another but I had the right of refusal, I would decline to move myself and my family to most places.  We are happy where we are.

I might accept Boston and San Francisco...maybe Hawaii?...but no other part of the US.  I would accept Spain, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Holland.....the list may go on from there, would have to think about it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

So while we the fans have tough time accepting that not every player has the same fervor as we do in the interest of winning.  

It is hard for me to swallow BT.  If he didn't want to move becasue of family issues, I would never criticize him.   In this case,  he would rather save an amount of money well under 1% of his career earnings to stay on a sinking ship.   He has more money than he could ever spend.  The guy is a loser IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Carlos Lee is probably the smartest player in baseball...boom thinks its Ryan Lavarnway, I beg to differ. Lee is a goddarn genius.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes.:
    [QUOTE]Question? Does it matter why he chose to stay in Florida? A right that he earned under the collective bargaining aggrement being a 10-5 man? My guess is that neither team wanted to buy out his no trade clause (which has become SOP to entice 10-5 guys to accept trades). Had they sweetend the pot, the Tax issue would've been moot...Also as a power hitting righthaned bat, it's not like playing in Yankee Stadium or Chavez Ravine are exactly parks that were built for him either. In the end it's clear that the guy doesn't covet the chance to play for a ring (turning down two trades to teams in the hunt). So while we the fans have tough time accepting that not every player has the same fervor as we do in the interest of winning. This could well be something as simple as the buisness side of baseball ($) having more importance then the chance to win. If that makes Lee the bad guy then so be it...end of the day he exorcised his right to veto both trades, a right that he earned, that was collectively bargained...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

He lost his 10-5 rights the minute he accepted the trade to Florida. He has a no-trade clause which is how he is staying with the Marlins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes. :    He lost his 10-5 rights the minute he accepted the trade to Florida. He has a no-trade clause which is how he is staying with the Marlins.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification...In the end it doesn't change the issue of Carlos Lee having the right to chose to stay in Florida vs accepting a deal to be traded (regardless of his motives). 10-5 rights and no trade clauses are always "negiotable"...The aquiring team and/or the team looking to move such players. In the interest of making a deal, typically incentivise the player by paying them a one time "bonus" or in some cases, vesting options for the following season. The devils in the details?

My guess is that Lee and his agent knowing that he's nearing the twilight of his career tried to do just that and apparently both the Marlins & Yankees thought better of it...Funny how a check for couple of Million can sway a player to accept a deal...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Hey the Marlins were great on paper. They'll always have that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes. :    He lost his 10-5 rights the minute he accepted the trade to Florida. He has a no-trade clause which is how he is staying with the Marlins.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Thanks dan, I too was curious how he retained 10-5 rights when he moved from Houston to Miami.

BTW people, you think taxes for ballplayers is an issue...I just learned that our USA Olympians winning gold medals in London have to pay tax on that. Nice thank you from oiur country don't ya think?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is his right to do what he wished monetarily and family wise.
    I worked for a company where we transferred 3 times. With this company when you transferred to a higher cost of living state they made up the difference. The reasonning is if they want you there they were willing to make it work for you. 

In Lee's case it looks like the teams that wanted him did not want him bad enough.
    Or the family said we want to stay here.

FYI: Many pros live in Florida for tax reasons. It is why Tiger lives here as well as many other golfers. It is why many of the Olympians from US and other countries train here. The tax rules are a benefit for the individuals and the people with whom they train.
    There have been players who refused to play in Canada unless teams made up the tax difference.

If I'm not mistaken at one time some states tried taxing pro athletes for the games they played in their states. So when Tampa played its 9 games in NY the state of NY said they could tax them because they made the money in NY. I do believe that it was shot down. If it was OK'd that meant any person who was in NY for even a day on business could have been taxed in NY for that one day of work equal to one day's pay. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes. : Thanks dan, I too was curious how he retained 10-5 rights when he moved from Houston to Miami. BTW people, you think taxes for ballplayers is an issue...I just learned that our USA Olympians winning gold medals in London have to pay tax on that. Nice thank you from oiur country don't ya think?
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the Olympians are not taxed on the value of the medals (which I think I read is around $650).  But the US Olympic committee gives honoraria for each medal won.  $25K for a gold, $15K for a silver and $10K for a bronze.  The honoraria are what the medalists are taxed on.  Which is only fair, it is income.  Sort of like any bonus you might receive at work; fully taxable.

For the athletes who win multiple medals, that could mean a big bill.  Those who only earn one, not so much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carlos Lee represents what is wrong with professional athletes. : To be fair, the Olympians are not taxed on the value of the medals (which I think I read is around $650).  But the US Olympic committee gives honoraria for each medal won.  $25K for a gold, $15K for a silver and $10K for a bronze.  The honoraria are what the medalists are taxed on.  Which is only fair, it is income.  Sort of like any bonus you might receive at work; fully taxable. For the athletes who win multiple medals, that could mean a big bill.  Those who only earn one, not so much.
    Posted by illinoisredsox[/QUOTE]

Actually there was an article on that recently.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/olympians-owe-irs-taxes-medals-cash-bonuses_n_1729486.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
    They are taxed on the value of the medals as well as prize money.  However, there's a bill that was just introduced in congress to exempt olympians from paying taxes on their winnings.