Carnie - Why Are You Bashing the Bashers when Everyone Agrees the Victorino Signing was Awful?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Carnie - Why Are You Bashing the Bashers when Everyone Agrees the Victorino Signing was Awful?

Carnie - Instead of bashing everyone on their threads on the Victorino signing, why don't you give us your thoughts on the deal? Major writers and GM's gave the contract a big thumbs down.  $13M per year for a player who's last contract peaked at $9.5M, yet he's coming off a year where his OPS was extremely low and he did not produce at the plate.

Why not save the $13M and give someone young an opportunity to play? Why not sign Ross for cheaper when he's a better/cheaper option? Victorino, though a switch hitter, can not and has not hit righties effectively for many years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Carnie - Why Are You Bashing the Bashers when Everyone Agrees the Victorino Signing was Awful?

Wow, a thread about me. I'm feeling the love...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Carnie - Why Are You Bashing the Bashers when Everyone Agrees the Victorino Signing was Awful?

Do we really need 19 threads about the exact same thing (most of them started by the same couple of people)?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Carnie - Instead of bashing everyone on their threads on the Victorino signing, why don't you give us your thoughts on the deal? Major writers and GM's gave the contract a big thumbs down.  $13M per year for a player who's last contract peaked at $9.5M, yet he's coming off a year where his OPS was extremely low and he did not produce at the plate.

Why not save the $13M and give someone young an opportunity to play? Why not sign Ross for cheaper when he's a better/cheaper option? Victorino, though a switch hitter, can not and has not hit righties effectively for many years.

Cheaper maybe, but not better, ADG. Ross is basically a homerun hitter who strikes out too much. Carnie was right, saying Ross was a semi liability in the field. I held my breath when the ball was hit to right, and he didnt exactly have a cannon throwing it back in. There's no disputing Victorino's best days are behind him, but that doesn't mean he doesn't still bring value. His defense is stellar, he's a base stealing threat and does the little things that make him a well rounded player. There's only so much out there and can only play the hand youre dealt. This was a low class free agency year, other than Hamilton, who I believe wants and will stay in Texas, which is usually why and when players  get over paid. As far as giving someone young the opportunity to play, who, other than Kalish who needs more time in the minors after his surgery and loss of a year of development.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I think it is a good move it allows them flexibility with other moves and a better defensive option in RF and maybe CF, also allows prospects not to be rushed.

He also plays on average 145+ games per year. Is also of good character which is also needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Carnie is the man!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Do we really need 19 threads about the exact same thing (most of them started by the same couple of people)?

Most of them are started by the same person.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Carnie is the man!

Agreed.

3 gold gloves in the last five years.  2 years w/ mvp votes in the last five years.  Last year: 39 steals, 6 CS.  Thats elite baserunning.  elite RF defense.

In 2 of the last 3 years, 17+ HR's.  Thats very good for an elite baserunner.  Extremely well rounded player.

Had a hand injury for 2012.  I would have preferred two years; however, 13M/3 is not a big contract by today's standards.  

Anyone stating that we should have just given the job to a "kid" clearly didnt watch the second half of last year.  We dont have a kid who won the job.  Prospects should have to earn roster spots.  They do not get awarded them.

I think people hate Napoli and Vic for one reason.  Youth worshiping.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Where was your outrage over this thread pike?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Victorino is the only signing that makes any sense to me.... if they intend to trade Elles by July.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Victorino is the only signing that makes any sense to me.... if they intend to trade Elles by July.

no trading of ellsbury. resign him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Victorino is a good baseball player.  Yes the contract is a bit much but an excellent defensive player who can steal 35 bases and has a little bit of pop can always play on any team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...except vs RHPs...Oooop!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Yet these same experts say little about the BJ 15 million for a guy who hits under 250 strikes out 150+ only hits 20+ HRs and has been lacksadasical in CF at times being called out by Longoria.

yet Victorino has hit over 250 every year mostly over 270 (6 of9 yrs) Ks about 50 times, with 10 to 15 Hrs, and plays all 3 positions very well. His splits are 267 and 301 what is so bad about that?

Too many here IMHO USE WHAT STAT WORKS FOR THEIR THEORY AND THROWS ALL THE OTHERS AWAY.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Carnie is the man!

Agreed.

3 gold gloves in the last five years.  2 years w/ mvp votes in the last five years.  Last year: 39 steals, 6 CS.  Thats elite baserunning.  elite RF defense.

In 2 of the last 3 years, 17+ HR's.  Thats very good for an elite baserunner.  Extremely well rounded player.

Had a hand injury for 2012.  I would have preferred two years; however, 13M/3 is not a big contract by today's standards.  

Anyone stating that we should have just given the job to a "kid" clearly didnt watch the second half of last year.  We dont have a kid who won the job.  Prospects should have to earn roster spots.  They do not get awarded them.

I think people hate Napoli and Vic for one reason.  Youth worshiping.

Yes. Victorino is just the impact player we need. I have no doubt he will exceed all expectations.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

These numbers bating left which is 75% of the time are really weak. He'll be an impact a negative one.

Overall AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS Total 595 72 152 29 7 11 55 53 6 80 39 6 .255 .321 .383 .704 As LHB 423 52 97 19 5 5 39 37 4 52 0 0 .229 .296 .333 .629 As RHB 172 20 55 10 2 6 16 16 2 28 0 0 .320 .382 .506 .888

Like I said use just one years stats to say he suks. If you were trying to say he was good I bet you'd use his career stats. Which are more representative of his abilities. Then forget about why other teams traded for him last year and that several teams wanted him this year. Then he can also play all 3 OF positions very well.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Doesn't hit righthanders any year.  Unfortunately most of the pitchers are righthanded.  I'll take his bat against lefties. 13 mil to a platoon player against lefties makes alot of sence.   Huh??

GG defender, plus speed average bat.

He is a good player.  One that is overpaid.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If he catches the ball and steals bases he will already be better than Napoli ... Napoli will be on the bench because we already have a DH.

Sections
Shortcuts