Carp in demand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Carp in demand

The question is do they break camp with a 5 man rotation and a 7 man pen?  8 -Pen early in the season?

Do we have the luxury of carrying 5 OF'ders?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Carp to Milwaukee for Damien Magnifico. 

Tremendous arm.  Even better name...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I actually like the idea of dealing Carp for Jose Tabata, which Pittsburgh would gladly accept. 

However, if Sizemore is healthy, this does not solve the roster crunch...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i would be surprised if carp is not traded by the end of spring training. pirates or brewers both make sense. the pirates defintely have more to offer in terms of prospects. a nice corner outfield prospect for carp would be ideal. I like the idea of chipping in one of our other prospects along with carp to get a better piece coming our way. ( webster as someone mentioned would be a good choice) 

Maybe Carp and a blocked prospect for a better prospect.

Carp is a throw in.  I highly doubt that Carp would increase the value of a trade to convince a team to let go of a superior prospect. 

Remember how we got Carp???? guys like Carp are easy to find, that doesn't mean he isn't a very valuable player just that they aren't hard to replace. So therefore I highly doubt he is the added value to a package that lets us trade a inferior prospect for a better one. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You must have not seen him when he played for Binghamton.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I actually like the idea of dealing Carp for Jose Tabata, which Pittsburgh would gladly accept. 

Well he's on the 40 so we don't HAVE to get rid of anyone.  There are players with options, and we can always roll with 1 more outfielder and bring an arm or two up from the minors when need be.

The situation should work itself out, as it normally does but if it does not I'ts a good problem to have. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Well he's on the 40 so we don't HAVE to get rid of anyone.  There are players with options, and we can always roll with 1 more outfielder and bring an arm or two up from the minors when need be.

The situation should work itself out, as it normally does but if it does not I'ts a good problem to have. 

What non-pitchers on the Sox still have options?

Bradley, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks and Nava is the list, I believe. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Carp was awarded $1.4 million in arbitration.  He is arbitration eligable for the next two years through the 2016 season for a total of three seasons of team control.  We lose Gomes after this season and probably Sizemore since he is on a one year deal and is a huge question mark.  I doubt the Sox want to trade away one of the only options that we have to be an excellent bat off the bench, first base depth, DH depth, left field depth and now third base depth.

I see no situation where Carp gets traded or goes anywhere.  The amount of return that he would give the team is less than the value he gives to a contending powerhouse like the Sox.  Power hitters are getting more rare in today's game and Carp is both affordable and a power hitter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Carp was awarded $1.4 million in arbitration.  He is arbitration eligable for the next two years through the 2016 season for a total of three seasons of team control.  We lose Gomes after this season and probably Sizemore since he is on a one year deal and is a huge question mark.  I doubt the Sox want to trade away one of the only options that we have to be an excellent bat off the bench, first base depth, DH depth, left field depth and now third base depth.

I see no situation where Carp gets traded or goes anywhere.  The amount of return that he would give the team is less than the value he gives to a contending powerhouse like the Sox.  Power hitters are getting more rare in today's game and Carp is both affordable and a power hitter.

Carp is everything you say.  But if he can be dealt for an improvement elsewhere, it is not necessarily a bad idea.  

After all, if his future is "bench bat," isn't that amopng the lowest priorities on any MLB team, just ahead of backup catcher and utility infielder? 

He was terrific last year, after a prolonged career of injuries and mediocrity.  If they moved him now, it is very likely a "sell high" opportunity.  

Of course, selling high only works when you get back a far more significant return than otherwise...

Sections
Shortcuts