Carp's future in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Carp's future in Boston

Here's an idea... Let Napoli walk this offseason, and make Carp your first basement. Any reasons why not to do this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Carp's future in Boston

Why not both? Then what is to say either will continue playing as they have especially Carp who has been a big surprise.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I like Carp a great deal so far, and see him taking over for Ortiz down the road. But why not try to keep Napoli too, all he's doing is leading club in RBI ?

What is it with so many people wanting to mess with success ? Trades , letting key parts walk , etc.

Now if we could somehow acquire Giancarlo Stanton WITHOUT selling the Farm ? Hmm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He has a .396 BABIP.  That's really unlikely to be sustained.  His 27/7 K/W is very weak.  He has a career .782, a  switchhitter and can play LF and 1B, and those all have value.  But unless we go cheap next year, I don't see us making him our starting 1B.  I wouldn't completely dismiss it, say if Lee fell into our laps, and we needed to go cheap elsewhere, but I would not expect him to keep this up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Here's an idea... Let Napoli walk this offseason, and make Carp your first basement. Any reasons why not to do this?

I suggest we turn Napoli into a family room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I also sometimes wonder about even thinking about dumping guys when things are going well for the team and also for the player in question.

Just let Carp keep playing.  Most games in left field and some at first (like last night when Napoli had a night off).  Ride the wave of his current success.  He may not stay as hot all year, but maybe he does, too.

Worry about next year after this one is over.  I like this team, the way they play and I like being in first place.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

No doubt....  if Carp keeps hitting this way.  Love his versatility and his defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

I like Carp a great deal so far, and see him taking over for Ortiz down the road. But why not try to keep Napoli too, all he's doing is leading club in RBI ?

What is it with so many people wanting to mess with success ? Trades , letting key parts walk , etc.

Now if we could somehow acquire Giancarlo Stanton WITHOUT selling the Farm ? Hmm.

Sure....  will Lackey & Drew cover it?

The Stanton thing is over-done here also.  Who do you want to sit when we magically acquire Stanton...   Victorino,  Ellsbury,  Nava/Carp?   God knows we need to get his .228avg,  3hrs,  9rbi  into this lineup stat!!! 

What is it with so many people wanting to mess with success?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From a Seattle Mariners forum:

http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=194432&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=b28f86627bb7fe16aca502ece4a5afef

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Good find Hill-----makes you feel good when the previous teams fans say good things about their departed player.

No doubt we have lamented about guys like David Murphy, Masterson, Haggadone, Reddick, Lowrie, Moss, Melancon and so many others that have done well with new teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=194432&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=b28f86627bb7fe16aca502ece4a5afef

Good find Hill-----makes you feel good when the previous teams fans say good things about their departed player.

No doubt we have lamented about guys like David Murphy, Masterson, Haggadone, Reddick, Lowrie, Moss, Melancon and so many others that have done well with new teams.

Not to be contrary, but just out of curiosity, other than Masterson, which of the above named discards would you like to see back on the Sox, and who would you release from the present team to make room for them?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Not to be contrary, but just out of curiosity, other than Masterson, which of the above named discards would you like to see back on the Sox, and who would you release from the present team to make room for them?

It's a very good question:

Melancon I would like back with his current 1.15 ERA with the Pirates 34 K's in about the same number of innings. I think Melancon toughened up after being in Boston --he resurrected his career with his time in the minors. Probably Mort would be released.

I always liked Murphy--he was a 1st round draft choice--plays all OF positions--tough call on who would be released. He can play all 3 outfield, 1 B and pitch in relief. I might say if he were here Victorino wouldn't have been signed. If I answered your question --released today--Gomes or Carp.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Seattle fans have lamented the departures of Adrian Beltre, Shin-Soo Choo, Doug Fister, Asdrubal Cabrera, Rafael Soriano and David Ortiz, and to a lesser extent Brandon Morrow, Michael Pineda, Ichiro Suzuki and Eric O'Flaherty.

It's disappointing that success has avoided the Mariners because in November 2011 CBS Sports ranked Seattle the No. 1 "homegrown" team:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/homegrown

Too much talent has exited.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I don't know why we would take any of those guys back, in place of what we have, with the possible exception of Masterson (who would look good in the bull pen right now.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I actually liked how Melancon finished his season here with a big hold in the Bronx. He showed me something positive with his demeanor on the mound. Masterson, to me, is still a BOTR starter or a bullpen arm. other than those 2, none of them. Bullpen arms are easy to swap out. Besides Bailey, Koji and Taz..maybe Breslow...the other guys are fair game IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Seattle fans have lamented the departures of Adrian Beltre, Shin-Soo Choo, Doug Fister, Asdrubal Cabrera, Rafael Soriano and David Ortiz, and to a lesser extent Brandon Morrow, Michael Pineda, Ichiro Suzuki and Eric O'Flaherty.

It's disappointing that success has avoided the Mariners because in November 2011 CBS Sports ranked Seattle the No. 1 "homegrown" team:

The M's have had a ton of talent go through there. I think its about time to change the people who have made the decisions there the last few years. Some really bad moves.

Imagine if they still had Pineda, Fister and Morrow with Felix and the Japanese guy. Had Adam Jones, Carp and cabrerra..they would be fighting for the lead in the ALW IMO. Throw in a couple solid FA signings and the M's would be right there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Why not both? Then what is to say either will continue playing as they have especially Carp who has been a big surprise.

THIS! 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Hey but you have Jesus Montero right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from barrios. Show barrios's posts

Murphy amd Masterson

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Sure....  will Lackey & Drew cover it?

The Stanton thing is over-done here also.  Who do you want to sit when we magically acquire Stanton...   Victorino,  Ellsbury,  Nava/Carp?   God knows we need to get his .228avg,  3hrs,  9rbi  into this lineup stat!!! 

What is it with so many people wanting to mess with success?

IMO Stanton would take playing time away from Gomes vs. L/h and probably ShaneVic vs. r/h.

His presence would allow trading either Ellsbury OR Victorino, and would be a huge pickup for now and the future. That said, he'd cost us AT LEAST something like a package of : Cecchini or Almanzar; Vazquez or Swihart or Lavarnway; Brentz or Hazelbaker or Kalish; and one of Webster, Britton, or Ranaudo. Feel free to post feedback iif you think I'm being unrealistic .

I could live with that deal, teeth clenched and squinting, if he helped us win 2 W.S. over 4 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Or maybe include Doubront but take Nolasco off their hands.

So a 3b prospect, a catcher, an outfielder prospect, an SP prospect plus salary relief and a cheap ML starter.

Sections
Shortcuts