CC in Left

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: CC in Left

The also could have used the trade chips to go after PITCHING and keep their best pitching prospect for themselves......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Cameron didn't break his ribs. He missed most of the season due to a hernia operation. A GM can't predict such things. Samw with the hamstring injury that Crawford had this year. Crawford's bad start is parallel to the poor starts that Big Papi had in 2009 and 2010 and while many overreacted to them things turned out very well. I get the feeling that some here in this forum are salivating at the opportunity to replace their anti-Drew agenda with Crawford in his place.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Re: CC in Left:
    I find it strange that a fan  sees a few months of a new player (who has a great past) and is acclimating, was injured, started out slowly, and extrapolates this small sample over the remainder of a seven year contract.  Why not wait out this year and part of next year before coming to such rash conclusions?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

I am not writing Crawford off, statically he was a bad signing, they didn't need another Left Handed bat, period. In the old days , the 154 game schedule days, Teams carried 10 pitchers , 15 position players. Now teams carry 12 sometimes 13 pitchers, which leaves 3 or 4 on the bench, one of those is a back up catcher, the other usually is a utility player , not there for his hitting ability. So now your down to 1 or 2 players . Most likely a back up outfielder, and another position player , usually an infielder. 

The end result is you may have one good pinch hitter , in the Sox present case that would be D MAC or Tek. They wouldn't pinch hit  Tek, except as a last resort, as then they wouldn't have a back up catcher. They face a lefty out of the pen, in the ninth inning with what they have , if it happens to be Crawford , Reddick they won't see a fastball, I don't like their chances. That's just percentage baseball, been that way for a century now, nothing new, not rocket science. Theo went against the book here. Hope I'm wrong , but statistics don't lie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

I didn't mean Cameron broke his ribs. Ellsbury's collision with the tank broke Ellsbury's ribs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I wonder what the reaction would have been here last November if the Red Sox settled for Andruw Jones?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to CC in Left:
    Does anyone beside me, feel that Crawford does not play LF in Fenway very well? He let one go over his head and short-hop the wall last night, and another popped out of his glove but was fortunate to catch. He seems really timid out there and sometimes looks like Lupus catching a fly ball. I have given him the benefit of doubt about his early offensive struggles and although he homered and doubled last night, I just can't see him being consistent at the plate. A $22M player and Terry won't even play him agaisnt LHP. It's clear to me that he just can't play in the fishbowl called Fenway. The pressure to perform seems too much for him and it's likely he'll be traded unless he can get over his fears.
    Posted by Alibiike

Carl hasn't even played LF in Fenway for a year yet so give him more time and the defense might improve.  I said the same thing about his offense.  He may end up one of those guys that can't play on a big market team but I still believe he will come around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I wonder what the reaction would have been here last November if the Red Sox settled for Andruw Jones?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil
    That is the "beast" in the room. The RS had experienced 2 years of declining NESN ratings and whether we like it or not (and whether Epstein likes it or not) the RS are first and foremost the lead programming product of a cable network.

The market had no stomach for a "bridge" approach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

a year ago, katz, there were way too many Sox fans who bought in to the "bridge" approach. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How many other teams have "bridge" years?  With over 150 million in payroll?  With over 100 million in payroll?  Do the A's even concede they can't compete heading into the season and that their fans should wait until next year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

As Katz said "The market had no stomach for a "bridge" approach"

Certain fans who are more patient than others and value many of the prospects might buy into a bridge year.

Other fans who are less patient and under value the prospects and want instant gratification want no part of a bridge year.

The FO needs to assess the mood of the fanbase, the specific prospects, the market for them, their financial situation, and react accordingly. If everything goes right then a bridge year is not necessary.

Whether Theo was sincere or not in speaking of a bridge year is conjecture or speculative. Only the fly on the wall in the FO knows that answer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe--------. Show -TheBabe--------'s posts

jd crawful looks lost at the plate and in the outfield. 

And the "he's getting acclimated to LF in fenway" is a crock. He's played his whole career in the AL East and has played plenty of games at fenway. He can't handle beantowne plain and simple.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

yeah, I wish he was more like Ed Whitson

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

How many other teams have "bridge" years?  With over 150 million in payroll?  With over 100 million in payroll?  Do the A's even concede they can't compete heading into the season and that their fans should wait until next year?
    Posted by andrewmitch
    The NY Mets had a $142M open day payroll FWIW. Cubs $134M.

The bridge year comment was badly misunderstood by fans but in part that is because the media in Boston loves to stir the pot and did so with that statement.

IMO what that meant was that the team was in transition at a number of positions. No shock the team that had been successful at the start of the new millennium had a core. That core started with Manny and David and Tek. They added Drew (just for you Andrew), swap out Pedro-Schilling and then Beckett-Schilling and then Beckett-Lester as the front line starters. Pedey and Youk were added on the fly to replace guys like Mueller and Millar. All of that happened pretty seamlessly.

Epstein saw himself at moment in time where he felt his replacements for some key players with home growns like (Pedey, Lester, Buch, Youk) were not going to be ready to create that seamless transition. And that the market did not line-up in terms of FA with players he wanted to make longer term commitments to.

So his plan was to bridge the years between the market having the players he did want (like A-Gon) and the prospects ready (guys like Iggy and Reddick and Kalish) with shorter term signings but guys who could compete.

This would be guys like Victor Martinez, Adrian Beltre and Marco Scutaro. It was picking up a better pitcher (he thought) in Lackey on a long term deal and go with a short term deal on Cameron.

It is you and other fans who equate a bridge year with not going for it or conceding the season. That wasn't what a bridge season was. The payroll wnet up to $160M. It was a season where contracts were executed and players acquired were on a shorter term basis but that had nothing to do with the quality of the team in their view. 

Between the 2010 slow start, the injuries, the lack of marquee names and a sports fan population that has become increasingly spoiled and very Steinbrenner like the NESN ratings fell for the second straight year.

Now we will never know for sure but I am pretty sure that the the word came down from the Trio, never use the expression "bridge year" again and go out into the market and make a splash.

The RS had their reasons to believe that Beltre and VMart weren't the guys they wanted to make long term commitments to. But adding only A-Gon while subtracting those two and replacing VMart with Salty wasn't going to a splash.

The bridge move would have been to make some kind of a mid-level trade for a platoon in the OF since the OF FA market lined up badly once Werth went from a $70M player to a $126M player rather than go after CC who for whatever reason was seen as the best OFer available.

But it wouldn't have been a splash. And whole lot of posters on BDC won't admit it but they would have been all over how flipping bad this was that the RS were going to try and compete with an OF of Drew, Ellsbury and Willingham.

And perhaps more importantly a whole lot of advertisers would not have been willing to pay as much or commit as late into the season for ad space on NESN and in the park if the big off season moves had been Josh Willingham and Adrian Gonzalez instead of Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

CRAWFORD IS GOING TO BE THE WORST SIGNING IN BOSTON
    HISTORY....AND THAT INCLUDES A LOT OF BUMS. THIS WAS A
    BAD SIGN BECAUSE OF THE HUGE SALARY HE GOT.
    IN TAMPA HE WAS A HERO, BECAUSE THERE'S NO PRESSURE.
    UP HERE, HE CANNOT HANDLE IT. HE DOES NOT PUT THE BALL
    IN PLAY VERY WELL, HAS NO IDEA OF THE STRIKE ZONE, AND
    LEAVES MILLIONS ON BASE. TUESDAY NITE, HE POPS UP
    W. THE WINNING RUN ON SECOND. HE JUST CAN'T DELIVER
    IN THE CLUTCH. NICK SWISHER AT LEAST MAKES CONTACT
    AND LOOKS LIKE A HITTER. I HATE THE YANKEES, BUT THE
    GUYS THEY SIGN CAN AT LEAST HIT, LIKE NUNEZ, GARDNER
    GRANDERSON, SWISHER, ETC. WHAT CAN CC DO ???? NOT
    SO MUCH [ AS BORAT WOULD SAY ].

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterbase. Show betterbase's posts

I want Matt Kemp in LF, sending Crawford to Seattle with some cash.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

They added Drew (just for you Andrew),

LOL - that made my morning!  thanks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

disregard fivekatz; he's just another theo boot-licker.
    he's quite wordy, but all he ever says is that theo is a god; bow to the mighty theo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

Adam Dunn may unseat everyone for all-time worst signing. He's been an absolute disaster.
    Posted by dannycater

i disagree; i'm putting my money on jd crawford, with SLACKEY  a close second.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: CC in Left : So the class was thin, do you take a guy who is a questionable fit? For seven years, block the pipeline. They already had lefties , Drew and Ellsbury, in the outfield, they didn't know Drew was going to retire a year early, and all the BS about Ells not playing hurt and all, that was crap. They took him out of center for an over the hill strike out king Cameron who broke his ribs. Mac Donald played welll last year, they had Kalish, they could have waited till the trade deadline this year. They didn't have to jump at Crawford.  Free agency isn't the only way to get what you need, ever hear of trading for a player? New concept , I realise. For your list, I would have rather taken a punt on Andruw Jones than CC . Good fill in till what they really need became available, that being a right handed bat. They are vulnerable to Left Handed pitching, full stop. You don't think so, just watch.
    Posted by aussiewill

aussie, i agree with you 100%, but you keep saying "they." you are allowed to use the name THEO when referring to the pathetic signing of jd crawford.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterbase. Show betterbase's posts

I will put up with Crawford one more year, but Matt Kemp in LF later on, hopefully. Carl will be happy in Seattle, and the Mariners will appreciate him as well.

Sections
Shortcuts