CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook

For a lot of people, posters who were blaming the 1st half on the injuries, and were anticipating the return of CC, the long, long, long awaited arrival of Lavarnway, who dubbed Cook a staff savior, and felt Doubront was pushed aside last year because of Wakefield....well, you got your wish. Is the team winning? Nope. No different than the first half. CC really answered the bell tonight, so it was kind of sad the Sox didn't hold on. Bottom line, team chemistry is at its lowest and apparently this team was not built to win. Maintaining any kind of good streak is impossible. Maybe when Ortiz finally returns it will make a difference, but certainly now we see Doubront and Cook turning into Lester/Beckett with Clay being the only certainty and Morales brushed aside when he was doing well. Sort of like Mortenson not having a regular spot in the pen, or Podsednik getting a spot on the roster. You do well, you don't get rewarded....seems to be the mantra...Salty still has 20 home runs and they sat him twice, and the team lost twice. So much for Shoppach/Lavarnway resulting in winning ways. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Re: CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook

We're going to trash Lavarnway after two games?
    Wow!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

not trashing Lavarnway, trashing the hype of Lavarnway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Salty has been the team's regular catcher and now he sits two straight. Well he's a power source at 20 HRs. I don't see how sitting him is going to "help" the team, one that can gets runs except via HRs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook:
    Salty has been the team's regular catcher and now he sits two straight. Well he's a power source at 20 HRs. I don't see how sitting him is going to "help" the team, one that can gets runs except via HRs.
    Posted by dannycater

Shoppach had a good game tonight.  Couple hits, put a good swning on the ball in the 10th.  Through out the runner on the double steal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

great for Kevin. Salty should have been the DH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

great for Kevin. Salty should have been the DH.
    Posted by dannycater

Salty is under .200 from the right side vs. LHP this year.  He strikes out more than 1 in 3 times as a RH vs LHP. 

I can live with him sitting this one out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think it's time to stop experimenting with who is the starting catcher. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I think it's time to stop experimenting with who is the starting catcher. 
    Posted by dannycater

It has only been 2 years or so.  They've been experimenting at SS for close to a decade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook:
    For a lot of people, posters who were blaming the 1st half on the injuries, and were anticipating the return of CC, the long, long, long awaited arrival of Lavarnway, who dubbed Cook a staff savior, and felt Doubront was pushed aside last year because of Wakefield....well, you got your wish. Is the team winning? Nope. No different than the first half. CC really answered the bell tonight, so it was kind of sad the Sox didn't hold on. Bottom line, team chemistry is at its lowest and apparently this team was not built to win. Maintaining any kind of good streak is impossible. Maybe when Ortiz finally returns it will make a difference, but certainly now we see Doubront and Cook turning into Lester/Beckett with Clay being the only certainty and Morales brushed aside when he was doing well. Sort of like Mortenson not having a regular spot in the pen, or Podsednik getting a spot on the roster. You do well, you don't get rewarded....seems to be the mantra...Salty still has 20 home runs and they sat him twice, and the team lost twice. So much for Shoppach/Lavarnway resulting in winning ways. 
    Posted by dannycater

Maintaining any kind of good streak is impossible.

No doubt.   Been this way all year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook : Shoppach had a good game tonight.  Couple hits, put a good swning on the ball in the 10th.  Through out the runner on the double steal. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards
    Shoppach did have a good game
    The runner on second had third stolen. If there had been no runner on first, Shoppach probably takes a shot at the runner going to third, and is charged with a CS. The runner trying to go from first to second got a late, hesitant start and did not drop the piano he was carrying. Good for Shoppach for making the right throw. But let's also note that if the runner on first either stays put or runs when he should have and wasn't slow-footed, the Sox get no out on that play.
    And, as I said, Shoppach probably get charged with a CS, unfairly, because the runner got a great jump on the pitcher. Red Sox pitchers are not in general good at holding runners on. The raw CS% is open to questions.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think we have experimented at catcher for 2 years now and the experiment failed. Time to move on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Heck, Lavarnway has only played 2 games........  Give him a break, he is the best overall catcher that we have !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think we have experimented at catcher for 2 years now and the experiment failed. Time to move on.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

It would be nice if the team would decide what it wants to do though 
    at catcher. If it is Lavarnway, then I'm stunned it took this long to bring him to the majors after last season callup. If it's Salty, then NO WAY DO YOU BENCH HIM 2 STRAIGHT GAMES this late in the season. I just don't like the direction of the team. I'm starting to see the Sox lose faith in Salty, and it's bothersome. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They are sitting saly because i believe they (FO) doesnt believe this team is a playoff team and are going to see what they have going forward, thus Lav getting a good amount of time behind the plate...i agree with this move...i do however think Salty should be DH'ing against RHP...
    I think we might start seeing more kids getting some playing time going forward so they can see what they have and who needs more seasoning in the minors...
    Personally, Id like to see Brentz, Bradley Jr, Iggy and a couple more get a COC soon...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Salty should hit v. all righty pitching, agreed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

MLB Top 30 catchers by PAs (450+) from 2011-2012:

SLG%:
    Salty 4th at .472

HRs:
    Salty 5th with 36

RBIs:
    Salty 10th with 102

OPS:
    Salty 15th at .760

WAR:
    Salty 18th at age 26-27 (same age VTek was before becoming FT)

20th in Fielding Factor of WAR at -4.6
    21st in BA at .234
    25th in OBP at .288

Giving up on Salty just as he has become the same age VTek was when he became a FT catcher might be premature. Ignoring the improvement Salty has made working with the staff since about May 1st is short-sighted in my opinion.

Salty has a 105 OPS+ this year, and he plays a position where hardly anyone is a plus at the plate. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In Response to Re: CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook : It would be nice if the team would decide what it wants to do though  at catcher. If it is Lavarnway, then I'm stunned it took this long to bring him to the majors after last season callup. If it's Salty, then NO WAY DO YOU BENCH HIM 2 STRAIGHT GAMES this late in the season. I just don't like the direction of the team. I'm starting to see the Sox lose faith in Salty, and it's bothersome. 
    Posted by dannycater

I thought he had food poisoning, not benched.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Danny has defended many Sox players against undo negative criticism. He's a true fan who tries to be objective and realistic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

not trashing Lavarnway, trashing the hype of Lavarnway.
    Posted by dannycater

DC,

The hype on a guy like Iggy I can understand you questioning but Lav?  The guy has hit the ball hard and just come up empty in three or four AB.  Salty has been a below average catcher defensively and ruined a lot of good innings for this team with his lack of plate discipline/SO's.

Come on, anyone who thinks Salty will be a better player than Lav will be as wrong as they were about Iggy, Aviles and Ciriaco.   If I'm wrong I will gladly be back yo admit it but I don't see Aviles or Salty's 20 HR's having more of a positive impact, than the weaknesses they bring to the club.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook : It would be nice if the team would decide what it wants to do though  at catcher. If it is Lavarnway, then I'm stunned it took this long to bring him to the majors after last season callup. If it's Salty, then NO WAY DO YOU BENCH HIM 2 STRAIGHT GAMES this late in the season. I just don't like the direction of the team. I'm starting to see the Sox lose faith in Salty, and it's bothersome. 
    Posted by dannycater

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  I'd have traded Shoppach and broke Lav in against lefties.  Salty should give us solid value next year, and that will allow Lav to start maybe 60 games next year.  Some of the posters are a little silly considering everyone that gets 2 hits an AS, as long as they aren't a regular, but we cannot survive without youth.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: CC/Lavarnway/Doubront/Cook : I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  I'd have traded Shoppach and broke Lav in against lefties.  Salty should give us solid value next year, and that will allow Lav to start maybe 60 games next year.  Some of the posters are a little silly considering everyone that gets 2 hits an AS, as long as they aren't a regular, but we cannot survive without youth.
    Posted by Joebreidey

I completely agree Joe, considering Lav has had years less experience behind the plate he looks pretty comfortable and makes contact at the plate much better than Salty.  Lav and Salty sharing duties will make Salty and this club better next season in my opinion.  I also feel guys like Ciriaco as the teams SS, or eventually utility guy will bring much more to the club than what this team has had.  Bogaerts is a kid I really can't wait to see along with Bradley if they continue on their current paths.

Just seeing guys like DMac sticking so long and now Punto still here also tells me we still have a lot to learn.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by dannycater

He's been out with food poisining. Read below:

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who sat out the last two games because of a bout of food poisoning, was back in the lineup Saturday night as the designated hitter while Kelly Shoppach drew the start at catcher. "He said he felt really good when he woke up this morning and came here and lifted some weights and got it out of his system,'' Valentine said.

Sections
Shortcuts