CC.......makes the deal look even better

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

CC.......makes the deal look even better

Though he was scheduled to, Carl Crawford (elbow) will not make his Cactus League debut on Thursday.

The Dodgers are pulling back the reins a bit on Crawford's spring program. It's nothing to worry about quite yet. The 31-year-old outfielder remains a high-risk, high-reward fantasy option for the 2013 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: CC.......makes the deal look even better

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Crawford will not make spring debut Thursday

Though he was scheduled to, Carl Crawford (elbow) will not make his Cactus League debut on Thursday.

The Dodgers are pulling back the reins a bit on Crawford's spring program. It's nothing to worry about quite yet. The 31-year-old outfielder remains a high-risk, high-reward fantasy option for the 2013 season.

AS dad would say...."SON, $$$$$ can be a heavy burden" !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you LA Dodgers.  Crawford is now your problem.   LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

This is the epitome of the danger of huge FA contracts...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to notin's comment:

This is the epitome of the danger of huge FA contracts...

"Oh really?!?"

-- Magic Johnson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

what happened to this guy? was never injured as much with the Rays

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Thank goodness the Dodgers took him (although we had to give up Gonzalez).

Though I liked the Gonzalez acquisition and think he'll bounce back nicely in the NL West, he wasn't shaping up to be the 30-40 HR stud we thought we were getting (and were paying for).

I think this trade will look better and better as time goes on. Gonzo, Beckett, and Crawford might all go on to have some nice seasons in LA and it would still be worth it to shed all that salary and get De La Rosa and Webster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Actually I think the Sox are still paying part of CC's contract. I seem to remember something about $11 M .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Actually I think the Sox are still paying part of CC's contract. I seem to remember something about $11 M .

P E A N U T S     !!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

P E A N U T S     !!!!!

You are right about that!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Close to $12 million ... but spread that out over 3 years and the three major contracts ...so possibly as little as $1.333 a year .... but consider that as signing bonuses for Rubby, Webster et al.  Reasonable in today's terms.

As much as I liked both signings - Gonzo n CC - and hated losing Gonzo, I agree with the OP ... and many of the others here now... the trade was a good one and getting better.

CC is now 31 and is again unavailable to play ... he was young and a strong athlete with little injury history - until he put on a Red Sox uni.  He's been frail both in mindset and body since then.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

P E A N U T S     !!!!!

That is what is in bewteen your ears.

Ya know, DOTTIE @ BDC thinks that your humor is right out of the 7th grade.....  Does Mom & Dad know that you are an a Baseball board ?????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In case you forgot, we lost the best 1B in all of MLB in that deal, and a pretty darn good pitcher.

CC was a throw-in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In case you forgot, we lost the best 1B in all of MLB in that deal, and a pretty darn good pitcher.

CC was a throw-in.

ALBI .... LOST ??????   As DAD would say ....... "SON, THAT DEAL WAS THE BEST THING SINCE JIMMY DOLITTLE TOOK THOSE BIG PLANES OFF OF THAT AIRCRAFT CARRIER"  !!!     No loss at all !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

CC was a throw-in.

ALBI .... LOST ??????   As DAD would say ....... "SON, THAT DEAL WAS THE BEST THING SINCE JIMMY DOLITTLE TOOK THOSE BIG PLANES OFF OF THAT AIRCRAFT CARRIER"  !!!     No loss at all !!!

Bill. Who is playing 1B for us this year? A catcher!
    Why Agon gets forgotten about, baffles me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

CC was a throw-in.

Bill. Who is playing 1B for us this year? A catcher!
    Why Agon gets forgotten about, baffles me.

I share your respect for A-Gon......  Howevaa, his performance was overshadowed by the fact that he needed to be a combo of Ted Williams, Carl Yazman, and other imortals to justify the moon/contract that THEO bestowed upon him...... Also, It sounds that A-gon is already a lot more relaxed back in the land of Nancy Pelosi and the lib/left/soc/moonbats !!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

The Dodgers don't make that deal without A-Gon.  He is worth his contract, compared with other Big deal 1bmen.

The Sox don't make the deal without Crawford.  Relieving themselves of his redundancy and huge contract was absolutley the centerpiece of this deal for Ben C and company.

But A-Gon not turning into the 30 - 40 HR guy we all needed/expected?  That is exactly what he was in his first full year here.  Yeah, he was 3 shy of 30, but he hit 45 doubles, scored 108 runs, had 117 RBI to lead the team in both, I believe, an over .400 OBP and an OPS of .957.  Let's not try to rewrite history now that he is gone.  He was the best 1bman in all of baseball in 2011, then he was traded half way through the next year.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In exchange for AGon and Company--RDLR, Allen Webster, Ryan Dempster, Shane Victorino, Jonny Gomes, David Ross, Stephen Drew, Uehara and Hanrahan. Maybe a 10th player I'm forgetting. Actually I'm also forgetting the money after this year.

Time will tell if it's a good deal. For the Dodgers having a full season of AGon and JoshB it will have good return and depending how long before CC gets back in the lineup it will all work as it should. Hopefully good for both teams.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

The Dodgers don't make that deal without A-Gon.  He is worth his contract, compared with other Big deal 1bmen.

The Sox don't make the deal without Crawford.  Relieving themselves of his redundancy and huge contract was absolutley the centerpiece of this deal for Ben C and company.

But A-Gon not turning into the 30 - 40 HR guy we all needed/expected?  That is exactly what he was in his first full year here.  Yeah, he was 3 shy of 30, but he hit 45 doubles, scored 108 runs, had 117 RBI to lead the team in both, I believe, an over .400 OBP and an OPS of .957.  Let's not try to rewrite history now that he is gone.  He was the best 1bman in all of baseball in 2011, then he was traded half way through the next year.  

From what I heard, the Sox would have kept Crawford to get rid of Gonzalez and Beckett.  The Dodgers taking Crawford was a bonus. Beckett and Agon would have been traded this winter regardless.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Adrian Gonzalez acted as his own hitting coach last season, and the first baseman saw a drop in his home runs from 40 home runs season in 2009 to just 27 in 2011.

( Paul Sancya / Associated Press / February 17, 2013 )

Adrian Gonzalez acted as his own hitting coach last season, and the first baseman saw a drop in his home runs from 40 home runs season in 2009 to just 27 in 2011.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to parhunter55's comment:

From what I heard, the Sox would have kept Crawford to get rid of Gonzalez and Beckett.  The Dodgers taking Crawford was a bonus. Beckett and Agon would have been traded this winter regardless. 

I,ve never read or heard that.  But it does not change the fact that some people want to revise the past to suit the present.  If anyone thinks the Sox are better off with Napoli and Carp at 1B rather than Gonzalez is nuts, IMO.  As for the money saved, well we had better hope that Dempster, Napoli and Victorino and Gomes have vastly better seasons than they had last year, because they are earning almost all of the money that was saved (counting the fact that the Sox are paying the Dodgers some money to play the 4 players they traded). 

As far as being a cancer in the clubhouse, because he snitched on Bobby V?  Who here can fault Gonzalez for that; everyone here vilifies Bobby V.  Like it or not, in a way Gonzalez WAS being the team leader some here, and in the press as well, complain that he was not.  If if he was a cancer because he quoted scripture, or refused to be emotional about things, or seemed to "blame" god for what happened in 2011, well I've yet to hear a better explanation.  that team was just doomed.  The Sox certainly did NOT improve after the trade to the Dodgers.  Many here predict they will not finish above .500 this year, which means they will NOT have improved for 2013 either.  I'm ok with the trade, but unimpressed with what was done with the savings and ceertainly NOT going to reinvent the past just to justify the current state of affairs.

I expect the Sox to have a good year this year, BTW.  But that will be because Lackey, Lester and Buchholze return to form and stay healthy, not because Crawford and Agon and Beckett are not here anymore.  It is impossible to conjecture how much better or worse they will play in 2013 as a result of that trade.  Eventually it may look like a great trade, or just a decent one.  but right now, anyone saying it was a great trade is hoping for something that has not yet happened, and assuming something that never WILL happen, and rewriting history a bit in pretending Gonzalez was not the best offensive and defensive 1bman this team has seen since I can remember (I'd say George Scott, except Scott's best offensive years were while he played for Milwaukee, and even then he never had an OBP over .400 or an OPS over .900).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It was 11 million of the 272 million heading to LA, so it really like they are only 4 million of. Crawford's contract.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Do the Dodgers really need the extra $11 million from the Red Sox?   LOL

Sections
Shortcuts