Censorship on boston.com Red Sox threads

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Censorship on boston.com Red Sox threads

There is probably some type of computer system that filters words,  the lag time is probably a bit slower for moderators who physically read and monitor posts to react.  Your right, the basis of that post was horrible and it is sad that it is allowed but the truth is if someone doesn't type a word that is banned it's going to be allowed to get posted. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I started a thread during the off-season when posters were getting hammered by rival team fans for being "too happy" about our off-season acquisitions, and not "waiting for the games to be played". I basically told everyone to just ignore them and be glad. We deserved this after last season. My thread was deleted. It didn't even last one full day. You tell me what the guidelines are because that was shocking to me. And Yankee fans even said it wasn't offensive to them. Somewhere it must come down to someone's opinion about what they want on the board or not. Has to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It simply a table that has words that could be considered nasty to block from posts. Many are probably far more accepted as potetially offensive than the word b-a-n-g-e-d which also has a very common use to describe a player with worn down with nagging injuries not serious enough to cause assignment to the DL.

That ceratinly has nothing to do with censorship.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Who knows how they decide what to allow and what to delete. I started a thread sometime last month whose only purpose was to point out the Red Sox excellent record since mid-April; I'm not exactly sure who considered it offensive, or on what grounds, but it was deleted once, then locked when I reposted it. 

Beats me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Censorship on boston.com Red Sox threads:
    I started to make a comment yesterday to the effect that Kevin Youkilis should skip the all-star game because he's so b-a-n-g-e-d up. My comment wasn't allowed because of the word b-a-n-g-e-d. Meanwhile, someone else started a thread blaming Josh Hamilton for the death of the Rangers fan who fell over the railing and that was perfectly acceptable. Censorship is the province of those with small minds who have nothing to exercise those small minds on. My comment being disallowed for using the word b-a-n-g-e-d is laughably childish and couldn't reflect more badly on the Boston Globe.
    Posted by davetheknave

I'm not surprised.  It's ludicrous. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Seems totally arbitrary. I get words being on a list, though I think the list is silly, I can't recall any, but I've come across a few that left me scratching my head. As far as the thread deleting, it's totally absurd. Unless it gets totally offensive, I see no reason to ever delete a thread. People don't HAVE to read it, for some moderator to decide it doesn't belong, while others remain is a joke. And now, cue the deletion of this thread...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Censorship on boston.com Red Sox threads:
    I started to make a comment yesterday to the effect that Kevin Youkilis should skip the all-star game because he's so b-a-n-g-e-d up. My comment wasn't allowed because of the word b-a-n-g-e-d. Meanwhile, someone else started a thread blaming Josh Hamilton for the death of the Rangers fan who fell over the railing and that was perfectly acceptable. Censorship is the province of those with small minds who have nothing to exercise those small minds on. My comment being disallowed for using the word b-a-n-g-e-d is laughably childish and couldn't reflect more badly on the Boston Globe.
    Posted by davetheknave

The "censorship" had nothing to do with the content of your post and more with a somewhat arbitrary list of selected "bad" words filtered out by a computer program.  You could have easily used another word and made your point.  Your making an issue out of this is the laughably childish part and your post is an example of someone with a small mind who has nothing to exercise that small mind on.  It mostly reflects badly on you, and only you. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Well, to state the obvious, it is their board. They own and operate it. They set the rules. I just wish when they banned certain idiots, those idiots weren't able to return by simply altering their handle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

MLB message boards are just as rediculous.  You can't say hell or even the word, stick.  Stick?  There's dozens of other innocent words that can't be used though my memory fails me at the moment.  Of course all you have to do is leave a space between letters and you say whatever the hell you want.  The mods are either morons or it's a filtering program that is screwed up. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'd say Rat posters have more to do with getting posts and threads banned then over zealous Mods.

Sections
Shortcuts