Chad Finn is guarded optimistic

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Chad Finn is guarded optimistic

As am I.  And Finn pretty much laid it all out for me.  In his most recent chat he admitted that in his effort to be an alternative voice in a sea of doomsayers, he may tend toward overly optimistic, but this article seemed quite realistic and fair-minded.

And yet, there are those who claim he works for Lucchino.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many dumb posts can you start Pike?

[/QUOTE]

Give it a rest, BC.  At the very least this new thread bumped a thread from 2011 from the front burner, or are you the one who keeps bumping threads from 2 years ago onto the first page of the front burner?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And I welcome a chance to debate the value and accuracy of good analysis, such as this.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

What I like about Finn is that he does not set out to antagonize or be controversial, the way Shaughnessy and Mazz do.  Without Gammons and Ryan around, Finn is my favorite to read, and I like him as DuPont's counterpoint on Globe 10.0 better than the others as well.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Ben Cherington's free-agency repair work has at the very least given them legitimate major league depth."

I'll go along with that view to a large extent (Finn's view), though I think tossing Napoli in the win column wasn't legit and the views on Farrel getting Lester sorted are wildly optimistic. But I do think the Sox have improved their depth significantly. I don't think they are a champion at this point in the offseasson but not a laughingstock either. 

"No, proven competence isn't 4 years and nearly a billion spent on labor, with zero playoff wins to show for it."

Softy, not fair to judge Cherington's free agent work based on what Theo did when he was "in charge." Cherington got rid of some terrrible contracts. Whether he had added depth with these more modest signings remains to be seen. I don't see how you can judge him until at least the offseason is over...I'll give him the offseason and part of the regular season. I do think how Ellsbury is handled is a big piece of the puzzle right now.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shane Victorino, Stephen Drew, Ryan Dempster, David Ross, Joel Hanrahan, Koji Uehara, and eventually Mike Napoli, at the very least they've acquired proven competence. 

No, proven competence isn't 4 years and nearly a billion spent on labor, with zero playoff wins to show for it.

[/QUOTE]

It says they have "acquired proven competence" It is about this off season not about the past.

You have a a very difficult time following the written word.

Regardless I agree that they have acquired "competent" players but in the AL East I do not think competence will be enough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Shane Victorino, Stephen Drew, Ryan Dempster, David Ross, Joel Hanrahan, Koji Uehara, and eventually Mike Napoli, at the very least they've acquired proven competence. 

No, proven competence isn't 4 years and nearly a billion spent on labor, with zero playoff wins to show for it.

[/QUOTE]

It says they have "acquired proven competence" It is about this off season not about the past.

Regardless I agree that they have acquired "competent" players but in the AL East I do not think competence will be enough.

[/QUOTE]

You could be right Snake.  But, the Al East might not be as beastly as we imagine.  The Rays will almost surely play to their absolute potential, but their roster is not as strong as last year.  The Yankees, while never to be slept on, are a bit creeky.  The Jays made their statement for sure.  But the statement is 75% of the same statement the Marlins made last year.  And the Orioles, well, what can I say, they are gonna be tough, but if you tell me they are going to repeat or improve on 2012, I'll take that bet.  All clubs are very solid, so the division is tough.  But I don't think there are real juggernauts here, unless you count the paper-champ-vegas-sweetheart Jays.  Its gonna be a dog fight. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is getting beyond stupid.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  Every single thread is evolving into Edith deciding who belongs and who doesn't, and you responding to Edith, but not the post.  One of you two has to grow up.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You could be right Snake.  But, the Al East might not be as beastly as we imagine.  The Rays will almost surely play to their absolute potential, but their roster is not as strong as last year.  The Yankees, while never to be slept on, are a bit creeky.  The Jays made their statement for sure.  But the statement is 75% of the same statement the Marlins made last year.  And the Orioles, well, what can I say, they are gonna be tough, but if you tell me they are going to repeat or improve on 2012, I'll take that bet.  All clubs are very solid, so the division is tough.  But I don't think there are real juggernauts here, unless you count the paper-champ-vegas-sweetheart Jays.  Its gonna be a dog fight. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, kind of.  I don't think the ALE is beastly in terms of 95-win teams, but it could have 5 teams with 80+ wins.

• NYY-95 Py wins-lost Martin, Swisher, Chavez, and a slight downgrade from ARod to Youk.
    • BA-82 Py wins-lost Reynolds
    • TB-95 Py wins-Lost Upton and Shields

It's almost impossible to judge TO and RS with all the changes, but on an individual basis, none of these teams should have an under/over higher than 91.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is getting beyond stupid.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  Every single thread is evolving into Edith deciding who belongs and who doesn't, and you responding to Edith, but not the post.  One of you two has to grow up.

[/QUOTE]

All I did was to copy and paste a Chad Finn article and the troll Ben Cheringtom comes in with his stupid one-liner. I suggest that you put BC on mental ignore like I have. I've reported him for spamming but he's still here. I guess that the rest of the forum finds him amusing - especially Babe, Carnie, and Enchilada.

[/QUOTE]

On this thread, you're fine.  But on a lot of other threads, it turns into a pi$$ing war, with you and BC in the middle of it.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"I agree, kind of. I don't think the ALE is beastly in terms of 95-win teams, but it could have 5 teams with 80+ wins.

• NYY-95 Py wins-lost Martin, Swisher, Chavez, and a slight downgrade from ARod to Youk.

It's almost impossible to judge TO and RS with all the changes, but on an individual basis, none of these teams should have an under/over higher than 91."

I pretty much agree also.  I don't see any team necessarily built to dominate or run away with the division.  As Space said, it's going to be a dog fight, and the RS will be right in the middle of it.

FWIW, some very early projections from Cairo that I've seen for this year's standings have the Jays winning 86 games, the Yanks and Rays winning 85, and the Sox winning 84, with a roughly 36% chance of making the playoffs.  Incidentally, there is no love for the Os, who are projected to win just 73 games this year.

More for fun than anything else, but at least it gives us an idea of what the earliest computer models are saying.

Nice article by Finn.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"I agree, kind of. I don't think the ALE is beastly in terms of 95-win teams, but it could have 5 teams with 80+ wins.

It's almost impossible to judge TO and RS with all the changes, but on an individual basis, none of these teams should have an under/over higher than 91."

I pretty much agree also.  I don't see any team necessarily built to dominate or run away with the division.  As Space said, it's going to be a dog fight, and the RS will be right in the middle of it.

FWIW, some very early projections from Cairo that I've seen for this year's standings have the Jays winning 86 games, the Yanks and Rays winning 85, and the Sox winning 84, with a roughly 36% chance of making the playoffs.  Incidentally, there is no love for the Os, who are projected to win just 73 games this year.

More for fun than anything else, but at least it gives us an idea of what the earliest computer models are saying.

Nice article by Finn.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure Youk won't be able to match Arod's numbers from last season.

Arod when he returns will more than likely be filling in as a DH or Chavez role of 2012.

I prefer Ichiro in rf over Swisher although the homeruns will be down the defense and arm will be better and also the ability to get on base and steal.

My concern is that Romine will not give the Yankees the same homerun production that Martin did. And Cervelli though has a history of delivering big hits plays terrible defense.

CC, Kuroda, AP, Hughes, Nova, Phelps, Pineda.

Sections
Shortcuts