Chad Finn Says It All About Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Chad Finn Says It All About Lackey

But to ensure that the ghosts of 2011 don't linger beyond the first few February days in Ft. Myers, there is one thing owner John Henry must do: He load fill the dinghy on his yacht with one John Derran Lackey, $45 million, a handful of Roush Racing Hot Wheels to keep him occupied and a Liverpool jersey to keep him warm, then drop the whole damn thing overboard, have Larry Lucchino give it an extra shove, and wave bon voyage. And he needs to do it as soon as possible.

Someone needs to take the hit for what happened this September, and a declining pitcher with an ugly 6.41 ERA and an even uglier attitude is a fine place to start. Lackey simply cannot return to the Red Sox next season. Because he is the embodiment of everything that went wrong with this one.

Josh Beckett once said during the summer that Lackey is his hero. At the time, that seemed a generous gesture, his way of praising his teammate for continuing to take his turn every fifth day despite the weight of some heavy personal problems. Now, you have to wonder whether Lackey is his hero for no other reason than he's held the high score on their skeet-shooting game on xBox for a really long time. He's clubhouse poison disguised as a batting-practice pitcher. If Henry wants to prove that what happened in September will never occur again on his watch, swallowing the rest of Lackey's contract is imperative.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Chad Finn Says It All About Lackey

Who knows who is who on an Internet forum. Amalie Benjamin told us last year that most of the Globe Sports staff are not fans of the local teams. We should not assune that they are. Many come from out of state and could be fans of other teams or not fans of any team. Chad Finn never sounded to me like he is a Red Sox fan but then he is only being paid to increase circulation for the Globe. He very well could be ADG, who knows? I am convinced that Remy, Orsillo, Rice, and Eck are Red Sox fans but the Globe is a different story. Mazz and CHB are definitely not Red Sox fans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Way to support your allegations, there, Chad!  You're a tribute to responsible journalism!

Who's that on your phone? Integrity? I didn't think so...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Good article and I would imagine that most Red Sox fans would agree that trading Lackey should be a priority.  Many of us have been saying this since the season ended for the Red Sox this year.  Not sure why Lackey has been such an awful pitcher since becoming a member of the Red Sox.  Maybe the pressure of pitching in Boston is partially to blame for Lackey's failures since joining the Red Sox.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Chad Finn Says It All About Lackey:
    [QUOTE]Who knows who is who on an Internet forum. Amalie Benjamin told us last year that most of the Globe Sports staff are not fans of the local teams. We should not assune that they are. Many come from out of state and could be fans of other teams or not fans of any team. Chad Finn never sounded to me like he is a Red Sox fan but then he is only being paid to increase circulation for the Globe. He very well could be ADG, who knows? I am convinced that Remy, Orsillo, Rice, and Eck are Red Sox fans but the Globe is a different story. Mazz and CHB are definitely not Red Sox fans.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Please. Read his background. He's a Red Sox fan buddy.

Chad Finn studied journalism at the University of Maine-Orono from 1988 through 1993. While at the university he worked at the The Maine Campus newspaper as Sports Editor. From 1994-December 2003 he worked as Assistant Sports Editor at the Concord Monitor in Concord, New Hampshire. in 1999 while at the Concord Monitor he began writing an award winning sports column. Chad Finn began writing and reporting for the Boston Globe's online newspaper in August 2008. In 2009 he became a sports media columnist for the paper.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chad Finn Says It All About Lackey : Please. Read his background. He's a Red Sox fan buddy. Chad Finn studied journalism at the  University of Maine -Orono from 1988 through 1993. While at the university he worked at the  The Maine Campus  newspaper as Sports Editor. From 1994-December 2003 he worked as Assistant Sports Editor at the  Concord Monitor  in  Concord, New Hampshire . in 1999 while at the Concord Monitor he began writing an award winning sports column. Chad Finn began writing and reporting for the  Boston Globe 's online newspaper in August 2008. In 2009 he became a sports media columnist for the paper.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Good work showing Chad's development and growth.

Leaves me to wonder, what the heck happened to the CHB ... (oops, showing my displeasure with our "distinguished" sports writer.)

::  ::  ::  ::

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spartacus2011. Show Spartacus2011's posts

Classic Theo Chick tactics.

Anyone that criticizes Theo or his LACKEY is immediately accused of not being a Red Sox fan.

Nonsense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Finn is a real Red Sox fan, he really is. That's unfortunately not a good pre-requisite for being a good sports writer. He does a good job, but in general, a writer does not and should not have an allegiance to the team is covering. His job is to write and cover that team and convey the facts/news/etc about that team. His job at times also is to make commentary based on those facts/news/results/etc....This isn't 27 Yankees times where writers and players drank and had card games together after games on the train back to the Bronx. If you are a trained journalist, your fanship never gets in the way of your writing or reporting. On Shaughnessy, his job for the 1 millionth time is to jump on drama in Boston sports and then turn it into a piece that usually is a negative about the teams. But you can look back and see he's also written many a anoint the players, coaches and owners as Kings and Knights of the Round Table or Mayor of the City. He can be just as positive and has been--when lo and behold--they win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I mean, this is just another article based soley on opinion and conjecture.  BUT, as always, I agree with the tenor of Chad's argument.  I find myself almost always agreeing with Mr. Finn's takes.  I can't say that about any of the old guard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Chad could have removed the videogame sentence from his article since Lester claims that none of them played video games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]Finn is a real Red Sox fan, he really is. That's unfortunately not a good pre-requisite for being a good sports writer. He does a good job, but in general, a writer does not and should not have an allegiance to the team is covering. His job is to write and cover that team and convey the facts/news/etc about that team. His job at times also is to make commentary based on those facts/news/results/etc....This isn't 27 Yankees times where writers and players drank and had card games together after games on the train back to the Bronx. If you are a trained journalist, your fanship never gets in the way of your writing or reporting. On Shaughnessy, his job for the 1 millionth time is to jump on drama in Boston sports and then turn it into a piece that usually is a negative about the teams. But you can look back and see he's also written many a anoint the players, coaches and owners as Kings and Knights of the Round Table or Mayor of the City. He can be just as positive and has been--when lo and behold--they win.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Shocking how things never change.

Any of us in New England who are LIFELONG Sox fans who criticize Theo Epstein are instantly accused of not being Red Sox fans.

I remember when this forum was taken over by Yankee fans. Theo apologists swapped spit with Yankee fans and ran Red Sox fans out.

Now Chad Finn is getting the same pink hat treatment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chad Finn Says It All About Lackey : Shocking how things never change. Any of us in New England who are LIFELONG Sox fans who criticize Theo Epstein are instantly accused of not being Red Sox fans. I remember when this forum was taken over by Yankee fans. Theo apologists swapped spit with Yankee fans and ran Red Sox fans out. Now Chad Finn is getting the same pink hat treatment.
    Posted by OurMan[/QUOTE]