Change is gonna happen soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

Change is gonna happen soon

The way this team is playing I cannot see Tito being here very much longer. I have always liked tito and never have been one to say fire him. But it's very apparent this team was not ready to start the season due to a lack of the starting 9 not seeing many at bats in spring training. The pitching was horrible in spring training and its still horrible. I've been a sox fan for 48 years and seen a lot of managers come and go on this team. Theo can't fire the whole team but he can the manager and I'm affraid to say it's gonna happen. He isn't really trying to shake things up with this team. Why is Lowrie sitting the way he's hitting while Scutero isn't hitting and continues to play. Are they afraid to use Lowrie because if he performs to well what happens to the rookie shortstop waiting in the wings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Re: Change is gonna happen soon

He should have been released last season. I saw this coming with the way he handled the pitching staff at the end of last year. He needs to go to save this season. The problem is the sox need a strong manager, Anti-Tito. But almost anyone at this time would be an improvement. Someone suggested some chimp and that would help.  

In Response to Change is gonna happen soon:
    [QUOTE]The way this team is playing I cannot see Tito being here very much longer. I have always liked tito and never have been one to say fire him. But it's very apparent this team was not ready to start the season due to a lack of the starting 9 not seeing many at bats in spring training. The pitching was horrible in spring training and its still horrible. I've been a sox fan for 48 years and seen a lot of managers come and go on this team. Theo can't fire the whole team but he can the manager and I'm affraid to say it's gonna happen. He isn't really trying to shake things up with this team. Why is Lowrie sitting the way he's hitting while Scutero isn't hitting and continues to play. Are they afraid to use Lowrie because if he performs to well what happens to the rookie shortstop waiting in the wings.
    Posted by Roaddogg1959[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Well I see you still have such nice things to say about people who differ from you.

In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon : A chimp would be a an upgrade over you.
    Posted by Road-Warrior[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Seriously, if Francona is dismissed, who takes over? Don't use the old cop-out "anybody could do better" ... come up with an actual name.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Seriously, if Francona is dismissed, who takes over? Don't use the old cop-out "anybody could do better" ... come up with an actual name.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Jimmy Dugan?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer5.8. Show fireballer5.8's posts

Another great thread; Theo's chances of being fired are the same as the author of this thread being named the new manager.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon : Jimmy Dugan?  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping for the guy from "Bull Durham." This team needs somebody to throw bats in the shower and accuse them of lollygagging around the infield.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

lollygagging around the infield

LOL LDobler

it doesn't get any better than that

bobby valentine sure would make things interesting

but no way theo hires some one that strong

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Carlton Fisk

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Tito should have been released after 2008. Sorry but sit and spit is lacking in the in game management department,but in his defense he has won two Championships. Tough to say which way it goes but if this is a business based upon results then Tito is on the verge of a temporary vacation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobeau9. Show bobeau9's posts

Think about it,last year the Red Sox did well considering the injuries to top players.Good pitching would have been a better choice rather than hitting.The team has to bat .360 to make up for the bad pitching.The pitching for theSox has been on the decline for a few years.Epstein and the media say how good the farm system is.How many players have the Sox brought up from the minors in the last few years?They traded many young prospects to get Gonzales.When Theo falls in love with a player ,watch out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Andrew, has Fisk even managed his kid's Little League team that we know of?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Lowrie plays himself into lineup

01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, April 14, 2011

By Brian MacPherson

Journal Sports Writer

BOSTON — When he met with reporters Wednesday afternoon, Terry Francona wouldn’t admit to having decided on a starting shortstop for Friday. He would admit only to having decided on a starting shortstop for Wednesday — a game that was postponed — and he admitted to that only because the lineup card had been posted in the clubhouse.

But the lineup card for Wednesday did list the name of Jed Lowrie for the second day running, this time at shortstop in place of Marco Scutaro. If Francona was going to start Lowrie — who hits better from the right side of the plate — against Tampa Bay righty James Shields, it’s hard to believe Lowrie isn’t going to start seeing more at-bats going forward.

“Jed’s hitting about .480,” Francona said, his voice matter-of-fact. “We don’t have a lot of guys hitting .480.”

Actually, after doubling twice against Tampa Bay’s David Price on Tuesday night, Lowrie is hitting .438 with an on-base percentage of .500. But the point still holds.

In a lineup that has shown no sign of breaking out of its April malaise, Lowrie has been one of the few bright spots. Lowrie and Dustin Pedroia are the only hitters in the lineup hitting better than .296. Lowrie, Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis have the only on-base percentages better than .400. Lowrie had more extra-base hits on Tuesday than Carl Crawford, J.D. Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Marco Scutaro have all season.

“The results are there,” Lowrie said. “That’s always nice. But I’m really, really happy with the way that I’m working right now and my approach. I’ve always believed that if I keep that approach, the results will be there. They’re there right now.”

Francona said in no uncertain terms during spring training that Scutaro would be his shortstop. Nothing Lowrie could have done during spring training would have changed his mind.

On a team inundated with injuries last year, Scutaro played through various shoulder and elbow maladies all the way until the end of the season. A dip in his numbers — his on-base percentage tumbled by 46 points from the previous season — wasn’t just forgiven. It was expected.

“If I was a player and went through what Scutaro did and then had to come to camp and base my playing time on 40 at-bats, I wouldn’t want to play for a guy like me,” Francona said early in spring training. “I don’t think that makes a lot of sense.”

Neither Lowrie nor Scutaro has 40 at-bats thus far during the regular season. But the Lowrie-Scutaro debate goes far deeper than 40 at-bats — be they in March or in April or in September.

Scutaro plied his trade as a utility infielder for the first six years of his career, only once playing more than 120 games before his 32nd birthday. He hit a respectable .261 with a .325 on-base percentage in close to 2,500 plate appearances in that span. He proved himself to be a perfectly capable major-league shortstop — and then he broke out in 2009, posting a .379 on-base percentage and slugging .400 for the first time in his career.

When his numbers took a step back in his first season with the Red Sox, it looked far more like a veteran regressing to his typical career numbers than a trend that could be expected to continue.

Lowrie, on the other hand, was drafted in the first round after having hit .317 with a .416 on-base percentage and .594 slugging percentage in his final season at Stanford. He then got on base at a .429 clip in more than 200 plate appearances at Single-A Lowell in his professional debut in 2005, a .352 clip at Single-A Wilmington in 2006, and a .393 clip the following year in more than 400 plate appearances at Double-A Portland in 2007. He then hit .300 with a .356 on-base percentage and .506 slugging percentage when he was promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket for the first time.

In other words, until he hurt his wrist, Lowrie hit at every level at which he’s played. His numbers at the plate have looked far more like those of Dustin Pedroia than anyone would expect.

And after he recovered from mononucleosis in spring of last year, Lowrie posted a .381 on-base percentage and .526 slugging percentage in August and September. If he’d kept up the same pace for 600 plate appearances, he’d have hit 27 home runs and 42 doubles.

Facing Price on Tuesday night after having come to the plate just six times since Wednesday of last week wasn’t exactly the easiest task.

“This is the major leagues,” he said. “You’re going to face good pitchers every night, whether it’s a guy throwing 97 (mph) or a guy throwing four quality pitches off-speed. Guys here know how to get people out. Whether you’re facing a David Price or someone else, you’re going to face a major-leaguer every night.”

But the two doubles he hit off Price were impressive.

“When he’s swinging like this, you probably look for ways to get him in there,” Francona conceded late Tuesday night.

Less than 24 hours later, Lowrie was right back in the Red Sox lineup. He might well be in the lineup against Toronto lefty Brett Cecil on Friday. He won’t hit .480 — or even .380 — all season long. But he’s making a compelling argument to be in the lineup every day nonetheless.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

A COUPLE OF THINGS I'D LIKE TO SAY !
    1. LOWRIE IS UNDERAPPRECIATED AND SHOULD BE
    IN THERE EVERY GAME.
    2. FRANCONA REALLY DOES NOT INSPIRE THIS TEAM.
    HIS WHOLE DEMEANOR SEEMS TO BE A "BUZZKILL"
    3. THE MAIN PROBLEM WOULD BE FINDING A LEGIT
    REPLACEMENT. SHOWALTER IS ALREADY TAKEN !
    4. A LIST OF GUYS WHO SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING ANY
    MORE. a. wake b. dice c. jacoby d. marco e. cameron
    f. lackey g. saltalamacchia

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

"Epstein and the media say how good the farm system is.How many players have the Sox brought up from the minors in the last few years?They traded many young prospects to get Gonzales."

Lets call a few years ..say, since Theo took over the draft in 2003, so 8..Theve brought up Bard (09), Papelbon (17G in 05, 1st full year 06), Ellsbury (07 33G, 08 1st full year) Pedey (07 ist full year), Buchholz (4G in 07, 08 1st year) and Lowrie (08) to name a few..Kalish and Doubront made good showings for themselves last year. Doubront is already in the pen and we will see Kalish in 2012 along with Jose Iglesias..After that we could see Ranaudo, Britton, Pimentel, and Lavarnway all by 2013-14. And who knows who could be added to that list in another 2 years..Id say thats been pretty steady production from the minors, wouldnt you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WinningTigerBlood. Show WinningTigerBlood's posts

Is THEE-ZERO going to get fired?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

First, while I doubt that Francona will be fired anytime soon, I do agree that the manager is the only guy who can get fired when a team plays below expectations. 

Second, it's hard for me to see how he could have overcome the two biggest problems by somehow managing around them.

Problem #1 is the pitching, which is worse than the worst in the AL because the Sox team ERA is 1.25 runs per game worse than the team above them. 

Problem #2 is that the hitting so far has been pretty bad, especially in view of the fact that Theo brought in two very good bats, plus Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Youkilis are all healthy.  Crawford, Youk, Ellsbury, Scutaro, and both catchers are in slumps.  Lowrie will probably take over at SS because of this, but he is just one guy.  The three other guys on the bench--Tek, Cam, and Mac--are also in slumps. 

No Sox hitter has more than 2 dingers (Ortiz and Ellsbury each have 2), and the Sox have a low batting average with runners in scoring position.  The two speedburners, Crawford and Ellsbury, have 3 SB's between them because they aren't getting on base. 

When the Sox get people on base, especially in scoring position, they don't get hits.  My favorite example of this was an early game, Texas or Cleveland, when Youk came to the plate twice with a man on third and either one outs or no outs.  He struck out both times. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

J Fred Muggs. Can't do any worse and would still be a players manager. Name anyone and they would be step up.  

[QUOTE]Seriously, if Francona is dismissed, who takes over? Don't use the old cop-out "anybody could do better" ... come up with an actual name.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

The team needs someone fresh in the clubhouse and this could be an excellent choice.

[QUOTE]Carlton Fisk
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

How about TEK as a player manager? I'm telling you ANYONE else

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

ive been here for yrs but geez, what has this forum come to?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

What it has come down is that a few posters who thought they ran the show and controlled what people should say are finding out they don't. And the first post from your account is listed as 4-5-10 so to say years is not accurate. Get rid of the pic it takes up room, and we have seen it for awhile(old) now. (Just a suggestion).

so In my opinion the forums are just fine. What is wrong with them?

[QUOTE]ive been here for yrs but geez, what has this forum come to?
    Posted by YOU-KILL-US20[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Pete Rose.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon : Pete Rose.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

He turned 70 yesterday. I couldnt believe that when I heard it!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon : Pete Rose.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Uh ... slight issue there.

Sections
Shortcuts