1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Change is gonna happen soon

How about TEK as a player manager? I'm telling you ANYONE else
    REDSOX-11

A player-manager? This isn't the 1940s.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon:
    [QUOTE]Seriously, if Francona is dismissed, who takes over? Don't use the old cop-out "anybody could do better" ... come up with an actual name.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Theo. He's already doing it now, just not from the dugout!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

Jimy Williams Part 2!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

This has been on my mind as well. I'm not sure Tito's Spring Training program has been working out so well of late.

Starts since 2009:

2009: 2-6
    2010: 4-9
    2011: 2-8

That's 8-23 over the last three years. Recall the Sox needed a "surge" last year even before the key injuries to Youk and Pedroia to overcome the slow start. It seems to be the team has not been ready for the season when breaking camp the past few years.

See below:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/2011/slow_starts_040711?pg=3

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

hey roaddog, if you're trying to get my hopes up, you're succeeding. as far as a replacement for TOTO, the best REPLACEMENT i can think of is PAUL WESTERBERG or WHITEY HERZOG.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Hick,  I totally agree....  Here's what I put up earlier in the week...

First: 8/14/2010
    Last: 4/14/2011
    Did the majority of our guys come into the season Over confident & Underprepared?

I wondered about this back during Spring Training????  It seems that this team has been treating Spring Training as nothing more than a perfunctory exercise for the past few years!  BAD OUTINGS were shrugged & even laughed off, with claims of 'good stuff, just working the kinks out.'  "I had really good stuff, just working on my mechanics."  REALLY!?!  It's becoming a pattern in Spring Training, where our guys routinely get shelled, while guys from other teams come ready to start the season!  Perhaps OUR GUYS NEED a little less EGO stroking before the season starts, & a little more discipline?  Why exactly did Crawford start Spring Training late???  Dice-K & Lackey are just flat out jokes, who still believe that their wins come from good pitching!  Their wins have routinely come from GOOD run support!

For the past few years, Spring Training feels like a JOKE!  Getting routinely HAMMERED by Tripple A players seems to be no big deal.  It was literally laughed off!!!!

NOW..... Here we are!  11 games into the season, & our problems are systemic & contagious!  NOW that it's SERIOUS everyone is pushing & pressing.  Everyone is playing tight.  Big difference when you're "ready & bearing down," as opposed to being "unprepaired & pressing!"  Even our players who clearly came ready to play are pressing at the plate.

I'm not saying the guys came in & consciously dogged it!  BUT Francona seems to have fostered a 'no big deal....' with regard to Spring Training, and it has been carring over to the early regular season!  THIS YEAR, it's quickly becoming catastrophic!  

THE BIG DEAL IS that if you truly view glaring problems in Spring Training as NO BIG DEAL, you don't do what's necessary to FIX THOSE PROBLEMS!  I might be wrong, but it seemed that our starting team saw much less playing time in Spring Training than in the past?  

EVERY SINGLE BAD OUTING THIS SPRING was literally LAUGHED OFF!!!!!!!

IT AIN'T FUNNY ANYMORE!

Before you start thinking I'm a Tito hater..... STOP!  I love the guy!  I love what he has done over the past 8? years...   BUT!  The buck has to stop somewhere! 

THERE HAS TO BE A REASON WHY SO MANY DID NOT COME READY TO PLAY!

I'm not sure that any recognition of this helps our current situation?  We are where we are, & the guys are just going to have to 'gut it out!'  Time to bear down & get the job done!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobknowsBosox. Show BobknowsBosox's posts

I doubt they'll fire Tito...if they do, Bobby Valentine would make a pretty good manager and shake things up.
    Dice K needs to go for sure. He and Lackey don't make things easy for any manager to deal with and Wake needs to ride off into the sunset and call up somebody from Pawtucket to replace him.
    If Sox can get starting pitching to perform at a Major League level for a change and get some timely hitting they  will be back into the race.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

Bob I think you're right; I doubt they'll fire Tito mid season, but if they finish 80-82 and in fourth place behind the Yanks, O's and Jays (a not so unlikely scenario at this point), AND they remain healthy AND the NESN ratings don't begin to rebound, Theo might not have any choice but to replace him. I would hope ownership would expect a return on the $180 Mill + investement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

[QUOTE]How about TEK as a player manager? I'm telling you ANYONE else REDSOX-11 A player-manager? This isn't the 1940s.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but it's pretty stupid to suggest someone with absolutely no experience managing at any level.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon :
    Posted by thehick[/QUOTE]

Sorry for slip; RSDD has a good point. We often hear about the failure of '03 "Bullpen By Committee" experiment....I remember hearing it said that relievers like to know their roles so that they can get into a routine.

Isn't this the same for hitters? Bouncing up and down the lineup must throw off routine. I would think ST should at least in part be used to iron out a workable lineup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]This has been on my mind as well. I'm not sure Tito's Spring Training program has been working out so well of late. Starts since 2009: 2009: 2-6 2010: 4-9 2011: 2-8 That's 8-23 over the last three years. Recall the Sox needed a "surge" last year even before the key injuries to Youk and Pedroia to overcome the slow start. It seems to be the team has not been ready for the season when breaking camp the past few years. See below: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/2011/slow_starts_040711?pg=3

Hick, continued

NO doubt about it!  Other teams are coming in locked & loaded.... Ready to shove that hype up our @$$es!  I understand the desire for a team wanting "hype" the upcoming season, BUT there was ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to do that!  They had us at A-Gon.  Crawford put us over the top!  

OVER THE TOP Hyping, that quickly trickled down to the players, combined with a laissez faire attitude toward MANAGING & COACHING, was a recipe for disaster!

OK!  Enough naval gazing!  I THINK it's clear what got this team to where we are today!  NOW..... How do we right this ship????  IN A HURRY!

FIRST.....  NO MORE BS from our starting pitchers!  If they are giving up NEEDLESS WALKS & putting us in the early whole....... Yank em!  Have one of our 'young guns' from Triple A waiting in the wings for the early switch.....  I actually have MUCH MORE faith in ANY KID waiting for a break, than I do in Dice-K or Lackey.  Thank God Beckett appears to have discovered his other two long lost pitches!  HE LOOKED AWESOME Sunday night!  Buchholz WILL come around.....  SOON!  I pray!  Lester WILL BE SOLID!  He at least ALWAYS comes ready to play!:)!

Salty????  I still think this is a slllllllloooooooowwww moving train wreck in action......  I simply think our pitchers have it in their heads that they just don't trust him to call a good game!  yes!  They shake off Tek too, but I see that more as a collaborative effort & their own uncertainty with 'their stuff.'
    I agree that Tek can't catch the majority of a season anymore.  He also does a poor job of helping keep runners honest.  His bat doesn't look too hot either...
    I guess we simply have to pray that Salty starts rolling..... Builds some confidence, so he can transmit that to the pitchers?????  Tough task for a 'rookie,' which he really is!  No matter what, he simply NEEDS to 'grow a pair' real quick, man up, & AT LEAST CARRY HIMSELF like he owns the place.  Probably a hollow gesture, but it certainly couldn't hurt???

SS???  I love Scutaro for his grit, but I think Lowrie needs to be our 1st string SS????????  NO!  This is not even near our main problem at the moment, but Lowrie's numbers last year suggest that he IS READY!  Take his 52 games last year & extrapolate........  The numbers look good!

DON'T PANIC!  Just take control! 

Look.... I've always liked Tito, & I excuse most of his laissiz faire 'gametime management' because of 04 & 07.........

I'm not sure it's working anymore?  perhaps it is time for a change??

I PERSONALLY don't think there is any question about whether or not Francona's 'no big deal' attitude during ST is carrying over to the early regular season.  THE BUSINESS of the 'front office' hyping the upcoming season is understandable.......  BUT!  Francona was FOOLISH in letting that hype get to HIS players.  It was foolish to continuously let HIS players trumpet that hype... i.e.  100+ wins.  I would have thought HE would have learned a lesson from last ST, when HE kept allowing our supposed 3 BIG 'stallion' starters Beckett, Lester, & Lackey to parade themselves around like 'THE original 3 Kings,' especially KNOWING there were issues with Beckett & Lackey. 

This ST......   Massive HYPE!  Player's jump on the band wagon with megaphones, seemingly less playing time for starters, HORRIBLE pitching by our entire pitching staff, Lot's of laughs & excuses, babying starters who are about to start a 162 game season, continued drubbings in ST games, MORE HYPE trumpeted by Tito & players, more laughing off BIG losses, More 'best starting 5 pitchers in baseball' talk......

I still love Tito, but NOT GETTING THE BOYS READY TO PLAY IN ST clearly rests on HIS shoulders!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Your job is the same when you come to the plate..hit the ball..shouldnt matter where you hit in the lineup..bullpen pitchers have different jobs for different situations..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

using thehick's scenario of a 4th place finish and THEO replacing TITO;
    my question is 'WHO'S GONNA REPLACE THEO?'

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Tito isn't going anywhere for a while.  I'm sure if Theo wants a change, he'll speak to Tito first.  Tito has brought 2 World Series to Boston and I still think he is a good manager.  We might not see what goes on behind closed doors, because he isn't that type of person (telling the world everything), but I'm sure he is reaming some A$$es out in the meetings, or at least trying to get them going.

End of May, this won't even be a discussion (as the Ortiz April slow start that didn't happen - where's all those discussions now??).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This HOF caliber MGR is not going anywhere, at least this year. This wayward thread is ill informed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

RSDD I'm with you on letting the hype get out of control. I'm old enough to remember the hype coming out the '75 season: What a Team! Rice! Yaz! Lynn! Fisk! Burleson! Rico! Evans! Lee! Tiant! Jenkins! How could they be stopped? Lots of hype, high expectations, slow start, 3rd place finish behind NYY and O's, 15.5 games out of first, 0.5 out of fourth, pedestrian 83-79 record. Not so unlikely to see a repeat in '11.

I know its a different game, but there is good reason why the Hoodie doesn't let his players believe in the hype printed about them, or to talk about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

I disagree about there being no difference in approach depending on where you hit in the lineup. Are we not to believe that pitchers concern themselves with pitch selection depending on who follows or precedes a hitter in a lineup? When a hitter is working on his timing in the on deck circle, does it not matter whose stance he is looking at?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Red Sox11,

No matter how well the Red Sox do you'd call for Tito's head to roll. All you ever rant about is how poor a manager he is and that they should get rid of him. He's managed a team to two World Series titles and averaged 94 wins a year, and the rest of the league respects him for being a good manager. The Red Sox get rid of him there will be another team ready to hire him quickly and they'll succeed. All teams go through slumps. Tito didn't sign Lackey or Dice K. You want to put a blame on someone look at the front office.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

I think Tito is a good manager, but that he should rethink some of his practices, like Spring Training.

Just did a litte calculation:

Tito ('04-'10): 654W-480L  .576 winning %
    Zimmer ('76-partial-80-partial): 411W-305L  .574 winning %

I'm no great fan of the Gerbil, but if the Wild Card rules were in effect, his team would have made the playoffs in '77 and '78 (and there would have been no game 163) and would have had a fightin' chance in '79 (91-69).

With no Wild Card, Tito would not have been in the playoffs in '04 (3 games out) would have had to play game 163 vs. NYY in '05, missed the playoffs in '06 (they did miss them anyway), Won the division in '07, missed the playoffs in '08 (2 games out), missed the playoffs in '09 (8 games out), and missed the playoffs in '10 (7 games out).

Under the old rules, the Sox would have made the playoffs once, in '07, under Tito. If he goes into the Hall of Fame, he owes it all to the Wild Card.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox11, No matter how well the Red Sox do you'd call for Tito's head to roll. All you ever rant about is how poor a manager he is and that they should get rid of him. He's managed a team to two World Series titles and averaged 94 wins a year, and the rest of the league respects him for being a good manager. The Red Sox get rid of him there will be another team ready to hire him quickly and they'll succeed. All teams go through slumps. Tito didn't sign Lackey or Dice K. You want to put a blame on someone look at the front office.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Hetch,

I do agree that Tito is not responsible for signing Dice-K or Lackey (both complete stiffs, with decent records primarily due to RUN SUPPORT), BUT...... Is it not Francona's job to have a game plan to deal with the recurrent problems these two pitchers create????  High pitch counts early!  Walks!  Lots of runs scored early, Sloooooooowwwwww pitching, digging insurmountable holes for a comeback, etc. etc.

I simply don't understand NOT HAVING a 'YOUNG GUN' waiting in the wings, ready to take over for either of these two pitchers, at this point????  I HAVE LOVED Wake for the past MANY years, but it seems clear that he has either lost his touch or is not well suited to jump in as an early reliever?  Given the current situation with our starting pitchers, I think it is FOOLISH for Francona to NOT HAVE THIS IN PLACE!!!!!

I want Tito to stay!!!!  BUT, He MUST get more proactive in his 'game-time' managing!  His management during ST was inexcusable, but it's too late to deal with it now.  I just hope it doesn't happen next ST!

I do want change!  I want Tito to change his game mngmt!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I think Tito is a good manager, but that he should rethink some of his practices, like Spring Training. Just did a litte calculation: Tito ('04-'10): 654W-480L  .576 winning % Zimmer ('76-partial-80-partial): 411W-305L  .574 winning % I'm no great fan of the Gerbil, but if the Wild Card rules were in effect, his team would have made the playoffs in '77 and '78 (and there would have been no game 163) and would have had a fightin' chance in '79 (91-69). With no Wild Card, Tito would not have been in the playoffs in '04 (3 games out) would have had to play game 163 vs. NYY in '05, missed the playoffs in '06 (they did miss them anyway), Won the division in '07, missed the playoffs in '08 (2 games out), missed the playoffs in '09 (8 games out), and missed the playoffs in '10 (7 games out). Under the old rules, the Sox would have made the playoffs once, in '07, under Tito. If he goes into the Hall of Fame, he owes it all to the Wild Card.

Nice post Hick.  Interesting comparison.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Using spring training W-L record to indicate how well a team is ready for the season has to rank among the dumbest analysis I've ever read on this board.

OK, the Sox were 14-19 this spring and started 2-9. Wow, so obvious. Have a poor record in the spring and the team will start the season poorly. 

Last year, they were 17-14. That must mean they started strong. Umm ... never mind, the Sox started 4-9.

In 2009, the Sox were 20-14. That's even better than last year. The Sox certainly got off to a strong .... whoops, they started 2-6.

In 2008, the Sox were 8-13. Certainly the Sox started miserably that year. Hmm, they were 3-1, 4-5, 5-6 and was 17-12 at the end of April. The bad spring just killed them the first month of the season that year, didn't it?

You people who keep posting that spring training results tell you anything about how a team will start need to get off the message board and try learning something about the game first. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

I don't think it is a matter of W-L in Spring Training but something likely more subtle, perhaps the willingness to let some players hang around Fort Myers and not hop on the bus to Jupiter if they don't want to.

Whatever the reason, 3 years of awful Aprils are beginning to look like a pattern, and that pattern suggests the team is not prepared to begin the season when they break camp, whether they are 20-14 or 4-30 in Grapefruit League action.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it is a matter of W-L in Spring Training but something likely more subtle, perhaps the willingness to let some players hang around Fort Myers and not hop on the bus to Jupiter if they don't want to.

Again. Learn something about the game. Veterans on all teams don't make a lot of road trips. Do you actually look at the lineups on the visiting teams during spring training. A team is required to have just three or four regulars (I forget which) on road trips.

In other years, the Sox have had strong Aprils. What, all of a sudden Francona has changed how spring training is run.

And pay attention. Players don't "hang around." They're putting in just as much work, maybe even more work, when they don't make the road trips.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Using spring training W-L record to indicate how well a team is ready for the season has to rank among the dumbest analysis I've ever read on this board. OK, the Sox were 14-19 this spring and started 2-9. Wow, so obvious. Have a poor record in the spring and the team will start the season poorly.  Last year, they were 17-14. That must mean they started strong. Umm ... never mind, the Sox started 4-9. In 2009, the Sox were 20-14. That's even better than last year. The Sox certainly got off to a strong .... whoops, they started 2-6. In 2008, the Sox were 8-13. Certainly the Sox started miserably that year. Hmm, they were 3-1, 4-5, 5-6 and was 17-12 at the end of April. The bad spring just killed them the first month of the season that year, didn't it? You people who keep posting that spring training results tell you anything about how a team will start need to get off the message board and try learning something about the game first. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Royf19,

Man!  you're just NOT LISTENING!  NOBODY is talking about Win - Loss in ST!  It's about the attitude of Francona concerning BAD outings!  It's about letting the MEGA-HYPE permeate the ST atmosphere!  It's about letting HIS guys trumpet the HYPE about how many games they're 'gonna win!'  It's about LAUGHING OFF BLOWN easy wins by the bullpen!  It's about making excuses for guys who clearly WERE NOT ready to play / throw!  AND YES!  It is about Management brushing off TERRIBLE BASEBALL..... Which does in part translate to  W - L ,  especially when you're getting your @$$ handed to you!

Did you watch those ST games????

Don't know about you, but I could CLEARLY SEE some glaring problems!

I did not see our bats being THIS quiet!

But seriously...... Listen to what is actually being said.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts