Change is gonna happen soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehick. Show thehick's posts

Re: Change is gonna happen soon

I would argue that taking swings against some of the AA kids at the Player Development Complex is not the same as facing Sabathia working on locating his fastball.

I fully understand that the veterans don't all have to travel on the bus for split squad games etc., but do believe that when there is great turn over on a roster like there being a new left fielder, a center fielder who missed nearly an entire season, a new first baseman, a new third baseman [at least one who hasn't played the positon in a while], and a new catcher, that somehow it is the manager's job to create a team out of the individual parts.

The Red Sox have a team of veterans, not a veteran team, and that, I think, is the problem.

My argument is that Tito has apparently not done a very good job of this over the past three years, and should rethink what happens in Spring Training.

Unless having losing records in April is the desired outcome, of course.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Yeah, you can tell a lot about a team by watching on TV or sitting in the stands. THat is about as superficial as it comes. Postgame interviews or spring training games themselves have little to do with getting ready for the season. So stop being so full of yourself that you think you know the psyche of the team based on what you see on the field during the spring or interviews you read or watch on TV.

Getting ready for the season has more to do with the work they do when they get to the ballpark in the morning, what they do after the game. Do you really think three or four at-bats in a game is getting them ready for the season? And getting ready for the season as even less to do with what they say to reporters?

And you're a fool if you think that the players didn't put in the work during the spring. Youk has gotten off to a horrible start. Do you really think he half-azzed it during the spring.

Crawford got off to a bad start. Do you really think he signed a huge contract then decided to sleep all spring and not work.

Ellsbury had a great spring. How did that translate? He has gotten off to a slow start.

DiceK's routine was changed during the spring  as they saw a problem and tried to fix it. He had some great outings afterward but has bombed so far. So how did spring affect him.

Laughing off blown easy wins by the bullpen? Did you really type that with a straight face? First, I never saw anyone laugh about a loss. They just didn't get all bent out of shape. You really think that they should have blown a gasket because some minor leaguer blew a game.

Get real. 

Oh, it was the hype. Well, what led to the bad starts last year or the year before? This is baseball. Certainly, guys can feel pressure and press, but that is different than whether or not they worked hard during the spring or didn't take the spring seriously which you (LAUGH OFF) imply.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaz82. Show Yaz82's posts

In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon:
    How about TEK as a player manager? I'm telling you ANYONE else In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon :
    Posted by REDSOX-11

LMAO it never fails people have no clue on mlb rules.MLB banned player managers years ago!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

LMAO it never fails people have no clue on mlb rules.MLB banned player managers years ago!

When? Pete Rose was player/manager back in the 1980s with Cincinnati ('84, '85, '86).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THERE IS ONLY ONE MAN UP FOR THIS JOB !!!!!!!    THEO NEEDS TO BRING IN  THE "BIG O" AND HIS CZARS !!!!   YES, THE FANS NEED TO PAY MORE $$$$$$$ FOR THE PRIVLIDGE OF WATCHING THIS 2 & 9 START..... "LET ME BE CLEAR" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

come on Billy!!!!! Glenn Ordway is no way qualified to manage the redsox!Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaz82. Show Yaz82's posts

LMAO it never fails people have no clue on mlb rules.MLB banned player managers years ago! When? Pete Rose was player/manager back in the 1980s with Cincinnati ('84, '85, '86).
    Posted by royf19

yes 30 years ago

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

It doesn't matter if he coached in the past or not, he still would have better baseball gut feeling than what we now have!

In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon : Not only that, but it's pretty stupid to suggest someone with absolutely no experience managing at any level.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

I wouldn't have as much I could say if they were winning and they aren't. The team is horrible under his leadership just admit it!

Red Sox11, No matter how well the Red Sox do you'd call for Tito's head to roll. All you ever rant about is how poor a manager he is and that they should get rid of him. He's managed a team to two World Series titles and averaged 94 wins a year, and the rest of the league respects him for being a good manager. The Red Sox get rid of him there will be another team ready to hire him quickly and they'll succeed. All teams go through slumps. Tito didn't sign Lackey or Dice K. You want to put a blame on someone look at the front office.
    Posted by Hetchinspete

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I think Tito is a good manager, but that he should rethink some of his practices, like Spring Training. Just did a litte calculation: Tito ('04-'10): 654W-480L  .576 winning % Zimmer ('76-partial-80-partial): 411W-305L  .574 winning % I'm no great fan of the Gerbil, but if the Wild Card rules were in effect, his team would have made the playoffs in '77 and '78 (and there would have been no game 163) and would have had a fightin' chance in '79 (91-69). With no Wild Card, Tito would not have been in the playoffs in '04 (3 games out) would have had to play game 163 vs. NYY in '05, missed the playoffs in '06 (they did miss them anyway), Won the division in '07, missed the playoffs in '08 (2 games out), missed the playoffs in '09 (8 games out), and missed the playoffs in '10 (7 games out). Under the old rules, the Sox would have made the playoffs once, in '07, under Tito. If he goes into the Hall of Fame, he owes it all to the Wild Card.
    Posted by thehick

interesting post but you must take into account that metal head had to win the division and didn't.  Tito is managing under a different set of rules so doesnt have to go ballz to the wall every year to get into the playoffs.  maybe he wins another division or two if the WC isn't sitting there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

I have looked and I never have heard of this. As far as I know player/managers could still be possible.

Perhaps you are the one who doesn't know as much as you think!

In Response to Re: Change is gonna happen soon : LMAO it never fails people have no clue on mlb rules.MLB banned player managers years ago!
    Posted by Yaz82

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

according to this article it is still possible to be a player/manager

http://jockpost.com/playercoach-playermanager/

I also did searches on MLB.com and found nothing stating that player managers have been banned.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

actually I did find in the MLB official rules that playermanager is legal

... If a substitute enters the game in place of a playermanager, the manager may thereafter go to the coaching lines at his discretion. ...

http://mlb.mlb.com/search/index.jsp?query=playermanager&start=1&hitsPerPage=10&hitsPerSite=0&site=mlb&c_id=mlb&teamCode=mlb

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Royf19,

Dude!  Chill :)   There is NOTHING anybody could say that would convince you that there were problems with the way ST was handled.......

THAT'S OK!  Just an opinion based on watching ST, listening to the players & Manager.  You are correct, that it's based on a lot of intangibles, & therefor NO WAY near fact...  Inherent in the term opinion.

We just disagree......  Not a problem :)

IMO...... ST exposed a LOT OF HYPE, Tito letting the guys run their mouths, BAD pitching, a new team not all together that much, BAD baseball, Tito making a lot of excuses for BAD pitching etc.

YES!  It's opinion.....  based on watching the games, post game interviews w/ players & Mngs, reading, etc.

you don't agree..... NO problem.  Some do, some don't :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m