Changes in the Red Sox roster today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Changes in the Red Sox roster today

According to this article from WEEI.com
    ( http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2011/05/20/roster-turns-making-sense-reconfigured-red-sox )
    the Sox are going to make some roster moves today.They include sending Iglesias down to Pawtucket and replacing him with Drew Sutton.A move to give Iglesias more playing time in the minors for experience.Also,Mike Bowden going back down to Pawtucket to make room for Dan Wheeler 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: Expect changes in the Red Sox roster today including Iglesias to PawSox

m

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Changes in the Red Sox roster today

From Boston.com:

Drew Sutton is in left field taking balls off the wall from coach Ron Johnson. So, yes, he has been called up and added to the roster.

The Sox are sending Jose Iglesias back to Pawtucket to get regular playing time. Sutton can play all the infield spots. He was hitting .304 with five homers and 26 RBIs and had played games at second, third, shortstop and left.

No word yet on the corresponding move to open a spot on the 40-man roster.

UPDATE, 3:35 p.m.: Daniel Nava was DFA'd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

The move I hate the most is Nava even though he didn't do all that much for the Sox his story is one you can never forget.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Changes in the Red Sox roster today:
    The move I hate the most is Nava even though he didn't do all that much for the Sox his story is one you can never forget.
    Posted by bbenton87
    Probably a good thing for Nava. He is likely to picked up by somebody where he might get a chance to be more than AAAA player. If not he will be retained by the PawSox I am sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I agree bb--Nava's story is unforgetable--they are just loaded with outfielders and with Sutton you have another switchhitter that is more versatile and has been up the last two years on maj. league clubs. It would not surprise me to see them move OF Alex Hassan up from the Sea Dogs to the PawSox depending on whether Nava clears waivers.
    These moves should strengthen the team--we may see Sutton and DMac platooning with CC if he continues to have trouble with lefthanders.
    I would like to see Fran. have more confidence in some of the other relievers other than Bard, Pap and Albers. Hill, Morales and Wheeler could be used to get you through a 6 th or 7 th to give people a break.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

They need Iglesias to play everyday and Bowden as well, sitting on the bench does nothing for either of them.

Sutton will not see much time unless Lowrie or Youkilis needs a day off within the next week or so.  Scutaro is probably not that far away from returning. Wheeler was never really that injured he needed some rest and the sox bullpen was taxed enough they needed a fresh arm.  I like the Morales move as he adds another guy who is not Oki, so for that reason I like the trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

What is Epstein thinking? He calls up Iglesias and Bowden, they get four ABs and no pitching appearances between them, and get sent down? Never understood why some GMs would waste their minor league options like that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Not sure why Bowden is being sent down again and Atchinson who is useless is still here. Doesn't make sense to me. Seems more and more that Bowden really has no role on this team. Most likely trade bait come late July.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Sutton could be this year's "who he"surprise,he's a switch hitter with a little pop in his bat can play all over the place in the infield and probably do alright in left or,in a big pinch,in right.Iglesias has to play every day to become the player I and many others believe will be something special for years to come.It is more than a distinct possibility that Scutaro,Bowden and a couple of others could be sent packing at the trade deadline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Atchison isn't useless. He wasn't usesless last year. But I would like to have seen Bowden get a chance...and Wheeler get an extended rehab.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Atch throws strikes and he's not affraid to throw strikes. He was an asset last year and hopefully he will be a part of a successful season this year. 
    I was hoping Fran would give Morales a shot last night when there wasn't any pressure.
    I think Sutton is close to the ideal super sub---switchhitter, able to play infield and one outfield spot.
    To me the real super sub guy would be the sub that could be your third catcher. A guy like Brandon Inge currently plays 3 B for the Tigers however he has played all OF positions and he has caught during 5 seasons. Lavarnway looks like he may be a future RHanded DH and is a catcher.
    Versatility is the future roster need---similar to Tampa Bay's young players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

loaded with outfielders? come again? who in the minor leagues projects to get any significant AB's on the Red Sox in the next 3 years other than maybe Kalish and Reddick, with the departure of Drew and Cameron after this year a foregone conclusion?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

rkarp - Forgot about Reddick. He has proven over and over again that he can't hit major league pitching. And though he's got 12HR's at Pawtucket, he's only hitting .244.

If there is any position the Red Sox have no depth at, it's OF. If the Red Sox had anyone at Pawtucket Cameron or McDonald, or both of them would already have been released.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

ADG...we are saying the same thing. I am commenting on MadMC44's comment above about SOx "loaded with OF's"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Have you ever taken a look at your team's minor league rosters? The OF is the only position at which your team has any depth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

rkarp - Forgot about Reddick. He has proven over and over again that he can't hit major league pitching. And though he's got 12HR's at Pawtucket, he's only hitting .244. If there is any position the Red Sox have no depth at, it's OF. If the Red Sox had anyone at Pawtucket Cameron or McDonald, or both of them would already have been released.
    Posted by ADG

Reddick has also hit pitching at every level after he adjusts and spends some time there, he even finished last year on fire in Pawtucket.  While the AVG isn't there this year, his power has considerably gone up and his OBP has really gone up.  The Sox wanted him to work on his plate discipline, and his currently walking 3-4 times more this year than last.  I know I know it's hard to defend .244 in the minors but there is a lot to be optimistic about. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Have you ever taken a look at your team's minor league rosters? The OF is the only position at which your team has any depth.

There's plenty of depth at several positions. Much of our depth is at the low levels of the minors...

I trust SoxProspects:
    4 of our top 10 are IF'ers, 4 are SPs, and 2 are OF'ers.
    4 of the next 10 are IF'ers, 2 catchers, 3 OF'ers, and 1 SP.
    6 of the next 10 are pitchers, 2 are SSs, and 2 are OF'ers

In short:

11 of our top 30 are pitchers.
    10 of our op 30 are IF'ers.
    7 are OF'ers
    2 are Catchers.

I guess the question is, "Have you looked our team's minor league rosters?"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Drew Sutton makes Jed Lowrie look like a mediocre middle infielder. That's how bad Sutton is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

just because Sox Prospects mentions 7 of the 30 prospects are OF's does not mean that they will play for the Sox. Look again, Kalish at 50/50 and Reddick as a 4th or 5th OF have a chance. Lin may get some appearences as a 5th OF defensive replacement. Other than that, doesn't look good, unless you feel 23 year old players in kow A ball are on the fast track

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

just because Sox Prospects mentions 7 of the 30 prospects are OF's does not mean that they will play for the Sox. Look again, Kalish at 50/50 and Reddick as a 4th or 5th OF have a chance. Lin may get some appearences as a 5th OF defensive replacement. Other than that, doesn't look good, unless you feel 23 year old players in kow A ball are on the fast track
    Posted by rkarp

Prospects are prospects for a reason, idiot. No team has ten MLB-ready OF waiting in the minors.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not sure why Bowden is being sent down again and Atchinson who is useless is still here. Doesn't make sense to me. Seems more and more that Bowden really has no role on this team. Most likely trade bait come late July.
    Posted by mvpyouk20

could be, but depends on what shakes out vis-a-vis Wake and/or Aceves moving into the ro.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id like to see what Bowden can do now that hes had a chance to get used to his new bullpen role.. MB's got some good numbers so far in AAA, so I dont see any reason to not give him a shot sometime soon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I have a friend who's a Rays fan (lives in Tampa) who keeps on thanking me (ie...Red Sox fan) for taking Wheeler. They DIDN'T want him and were hoping us or the Yankees would grab him. I'm no expert on the guy, but maybe someone out there can confirm or deny. Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts