1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Changes to forums and article comments

J-Bay will tell you "awe gee w iz Idiots realises he unfairly cant post so he tried to put as much info as his little heart can into a thread title"

What a crock!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

pumpsie good you can call them and I wish them the best but I'm increasingly feeling this project will be remembered as a debacle. 

I hope I'm wrong but whatever the go live deadline was, it should have been postponed until more issues were sorted out. Yes, they are building new software and restoring features but they've lost a lot of traffic and engagement and frustrated a lot of loyal users. For the record I'm not frustrated, except for the worry that the forums may take a semi-permanent traffic hit as a result, which would be a bummer for all of us.

These days, best practice is not to build your own software but to buy it off the shelf from a supplier and focus on your core competency. Anyhow I hope the BDC's core competency will be in forum software. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

How about stepping ion and eliminating all these post by 2004idiot?
    How about eliminating threads about posters?
    What does this have to do with Red Sox baseball?
    I want to read people's opinions of the team, not of themselves.
    Also, put something here, where we can edit our posts.
    I usually do it for spelling errors.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

pumpsie good you can call them and I wish them the best but I'm increasingly feeling this project will be remembered as a debacle. 

I hope I'm wrong but whatever the go live deadline was, it should have been postponed until more issues were sorted out. Yes, they are building new software and restoring features but they've lost a lot of traffic and engagement and frustrated a lot of loyal users. For the record I'm not frustrated, except for the worry that the forums may take a semi-permanent traffic hit as a result, which would be a bummer for all of us.

These days, best practice is not to build your own software but to buy it off the shelf from a supplier and focus on your core competency. Anyhow I hope the BDC's core competency will be in forum software. :)

You can call them too, if you wish. They have published phone numbers. If the forum is not more functional in a week or so then I think its eventual success has to be questioned. If they fix it and if the team ever starts winning again, or if they make significant improvements that generate enthusiasm, then it will be just as busy as ever here.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Things that are hurting this forum  (IMHO)

- The losing streak.  This isn't going to go away, but it IS a reason why more people aren't posting.  This ties in with the next thing on my list....

- The ongoing general negativity by some posters.  There are many Sox fans who like to come here to discuss the Sox, right or wrong, and some of us get tired of hearing nothing but the bad things presented by some posters, without also posting a reasonable solution.  This ties in with the next thing on my list...

- the Trolls.  These are the ones I have the most trouble with.  These are people who are intentionally trying to destroy the board.

- The continual ongoing speculation over who's posting under another name. I mean,who  cares?  A post is a post regardless of who's claming to be saying it.  Take it at face value and forget it!

- The frequent p-ing contests regarding who's right and who's wrong, with the issue at hand sometimes going back years!  Give it a break, people.  The only one who really cares that you think you're still right after all this time is YOU.

- The condition of The Board post-rebuild.  Yes, this speaks for itself.  I'm frustrated with having to log on every time but my biggest frustration comes from not being able to see which threads I've read the posts in.  PLEASE bring back the stars... soon.

I can only speak for myself.  I'm certainly not a "regular poster" but I do post occasionally and the above six issues have kept me from having much to say here.  I do, however, come to read nearly every day and when it gets easier to navigate here I'll be posting again.

I don't think most of us have left, we're just on hiatus until it gets a little easier to navigate here.

Again, JMHO 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

The continual ongoing speculation over who's posting under another name. I mean,who cares? A post is a post regardless of who's claming to be saying it. Take it at face value and forget it!

you are probably right S5

I wish I could

but it bothers me when I see

poster A debating poster B and C

when  B&C are the same poster and poster A or other readers don't realize it

I suggest the multi accounts are the real problem

not the people pointing them out

JMO

I certainly don't disagree with you, Zac.  You just took it one step farther than I did.  My specific point there was that those people who accuse someone of being someone else because of some perceived similarity in their posting style are hurting the forum.  The continued comments of, "nice post, Pike" or "We know it's really you, Mikey", when responding to someone not posting as Pike or Mikey wear on me quickly.

At the same time, I totally agree with you about someone posting in good faith and then being "tag-teamed" with an opposing view by several posters who are actually the same person.  I'm hoping the new BDC format will end the multiple screen names once and for all and end BOTH of our issues.  

The other thing I'd like to see is that when a person is banned they're actually BANNED - and not able to simply establish another name and continue posting.  To regain posting rights they'd have to contact BDC, apologize for their transgressions, and just generally have to humiliate themselves to post again.
    After that it's just like the MLB drug policy.  Three strikes and you're out. 

BTW.... Most of the stuff you do is pretty clever, but I DO think the "Head of Ted" thing was a bit 'over the top'.  :-( 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

after that I was just being a nyyfan ;-)

Ya see... it's things like that that give you guys a bad name!  :-)

I understood from the beginning that it was a poke at the Sox.  I just thought it was in bad taste.  As our friend Kim would say, it IS a Red Sox board, after all!

The pic is down and it's all good now.  :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Do I see PROGRESS here???  I didn't have to log on this time!!

Keep up the good work, Dottie.  Next up is the stars, right?  :-))

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

2nd day have not had to log in.  : )

we have a dedicated game thread category.  : D

now if you would just allow the posting of full articles that are restricted to non-subscribers...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Things that are hurting this forum  (IMHO)

- The losing streak.  This isn't going to go away, but it IS a reason why more people aren't posting.  This ties in with the next thing on my list....

- The ongoing general negativity by some posters.  There are many Sox fans who like to come here to discuss the Sox, right or wrong, and some of us get tired of hearing nothing but the bad things presented by some posters, without also posting a reasonable solution.  This ties in with the next thing on my list...

- the Trolls.  These are the ones I have the most trouble with.  These are people who are intentionally trying to destroy the board.

- The continual ongoing speculation over who's posting under another name. I mean,who  cares?  A post is a post regardless of who's claming to be saying it.  Take it at face value and forget it!

- The frequent p-ing contests regarding who's right and who's wrong, with the issue at hand sometimes going back years!  Give it a break, people.  The only one who really cares that you think you're still right after all this time is YOU.

- The condition of The Board post-rebuild.  Yes, this speaks for itself.  I'm frustrated with having to log on every time but my biggest frustration comes from not being able to see which threads I've read the posts in.  PLEASE bring back the stars... soon.

I can only speak for myself.  I'm certainly not a "regular poster" but I do post occasionally and the above six issues have kept me from having much to say here.  I do, however, come to read nearly every day and when it gets easier to navigate here I'll be posting again.

I don't think most of us have left, we're just on hiatus until it gets a little easier to navigate here.

Again, JMHO 

I understand your frustration.  For me, the primary issue affecting the quality of the forum is the quality of the posts and posters.  Put another way, erudition and baseball discussions and wit and a sense of humor have been replaced by chest-thumping and forum gossip and boorishness and a sense of entitlement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:

Pinstripe is a Yankee fan who loves to use his photoshop expertise to riducule everything about the Sox and yet he is a darling amongst most regular  Red Sox fans on this forum , especially moderator J-Bay. Go figure.  The Forum seems seems to be monopolized br J-Bay's fraternity.The best thing that could happen is to be rid of moderator J-Bay and his Yankee buddies.

Make me!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:

Pinstripe is a Yankee fan who loves to use his photoshop expertise to riducule everything about the Sox and yet he is a darling amongst most regular  Red Sox fans on this forum , especially moderator J-Bay. Go figure.  The Forum seems seems to be monopolized br J-Bay's fraternity.The best thing that could happen is to be rid of moderator J-Bay and his Yankee buddies.

Without them here this forum would become a graveyard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

WE LIVE IN THE MIST OF ALARMS; ANXIETY BECLAUDS THE FUTURE; WE EXPECT SOME NEW DISASTER WITH EACH NEWSPAPER WE READ.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

There’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment here about any features that are missing that I didn't mention in the note linked above, or if you're having any technical issues.

Thanks.

Sorry Dottie - I don't think it is working so far. Hopefully you are tweaking it some. Good luck.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts